Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Arisaka Defense "Modern" M952 Body?

Greetings, all.

I've been exchanging emails with Will from Arisaka Defense about producing a single cell body with KeyMod and/or MLOK mounting points that's compatible with the old Surefire M95x series heads and tail caps.

I've seen the old lights for pretty darn cheap on eBay and I know the SR tape switches will work with these older lights. And Malkoff makes an LED module that runs off a single 123 battery that will fit these older heads.

So I'm wondering how much interest there might be in something like this. If Will can sell an LED module and a light body for something like $100 would anyone get one to upgrade an old light?

TIA!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I see literally see little to no demand for this. The sheer size of the head and end cap would still make the light quite large relative to lights already on the market.

I've upgraded several of my M951/952 lights with Malkoff M61 drop ins. They have breathed new life into them, but other than to guys building clones, there isnt much demand for these lights.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Those old lights are so big compared to the newer generation stuff, you'll be surprised when you see one in person.

A while back I grabbed one cheap, thinking it was such an awesome deal, and when it showed up I thought "what the hell am I going to do with this?" The extra size isn't worth it, even if you can get components or full lights cheap.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is the type of feedback I was looking for. Thanks for posting.

There are a couple issues that may be insurmountable anyway. One is the length of the body with only one battery will likely place the head and tail right up against each other and not leave much room for mounting points. There isn't going to be any way to make a body that's "lopro" because of the diameter of the parts. Also, a quick gander at eBay shows that there might not be as many of the old lights for sale as there was just a few months ago.

Still, I think it would be nifty to be able to create a new tube that would save a little weight and shorten everything up to take less rail space. I suppose the only market would be people who already own the older M95x rather than someone buying one specifically for the upgrade.

Anyway, let's just forget I ever voiced the idea in public...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do see your line of thinking. All those surplus lights are out there with no purpose now... seems like a waste. Too bad Malkoff doesn't market the replacement bulbs more.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah. The Malkoff LED is money well spent on these old lights.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I see literally see little to no demand for this. The sheer size of the head and end cap would still make the light quite large relative to lights already on the market.

I've upgraded several of my M951/952 lights with Malkoff M61 drop ins. They have breathed new life into them, but other than to guys building clones, there isnt much demand for these lights.
    I am so glad I read this post.

I have the LED conversion (Surefire brand) for my 6P but my M951 on my clone-ish rifle could use this Malkoff upgrade.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I am so glad I read this post.

I have the LED conversion (Surefire brand) for my 6P but my M951 on my clone-ish rifle could use this Malkoff upgrade.
    So slightly off topic, did most of you guys in Iraq/Afghanistan use the tape switches included with these lights or just use the tail cap button?

Downloads
    Uploads
    To bump my own thread; has anyone got experience with Oveready's LED heads or lamps? Expensive but appear to be significantly brighter than the lamps from Malkoff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alright. So what about something as simple as this?

This is a threaded adapter that allows a Scout head to be screwed onto an old Millennium body.

Seems to work fine. I'll try to get it mounted and put some rounds on it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dude... let the old "fat" 951/952 bodies go... a replacement scout body is cheap.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Dude... let the old "fat" 951/952 bodies go... a replacement scout body is cheap.
    The Scout body is fairly cheap although the DS tail caps aren't. Plus I have a couple mounts that would also have to be replaced. If I can bring my existing lights up to current standard by using an adapter and new head it'll save me more than just the cost of a new light.

Something else that is probably quite do-able is to bore the old Millenium body to accept a 18650 rechargeable battery. Are the Surefire M600DF heads available separately?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I find that upgrading old lights is like upgrading an old computer. Although it's nice to repurpose or keep using older things, ultimately the cost of the upgrade is more trouble than it's worth and you're left with something that's not as good as the new one.

I say this because I had boxes of RAM, Video Cards, and SSD's last week

The DF heads are not available separately from what I've seen. The old bodies are so large. They're bulky IMHO on rifles. Not a lot of people have them anymore and frankly I just don't see anyone making updates/upgrades for these other than maybe the bulb because there's no money in it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    An Arisaka 300 light is what, $165? You get 300 lumens at 2.8oz (with battery).

I have an M951 or whatever it is. It weighs almost a pound and you get 65 lumens out of it with fresh batteries

My 400 lumen HSP WML is $120 new (got mine new but 2nd hand for $75) and it weighs 4.8oz!!

My Streamlight ProTac is 625 lumen, 4.3oz with all the mounts, and $110 (I also paid $80). This light is actually too bright for a lot of things. The smaller 350 lumen model was what I should’ve gotten. Too much splash back and reflection off of things due to the brightness

My M951 will likely go into a box In the near future. My handheld single AAA micro stream is almost as bright as the SF M951 and it weighs ONE OUNCE

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    An Arisaka 300 light is what, $165? You get 300 lumens at 2.8oz (with battery).

I have an M951 or whatever it is. It weighs almost a pound and you get 65 lumens out of it with fresh batteries

My 400 lumen HSP WML is $120 new (got mine new but 2nd hand for $75) and it weighs 4.8oz!!

My Streamlight ProTac is 625 lumen, 4.3oz with all the mounts, and $110 (I also paid $80). This light is actually too bright for a lot of things. The smaller 350 lumen model was what I should’ve gotten. Too much splash back and reflection off of things due to the brightness

My M951 will likely go into a box In the near future. My handheld single AAA micro stream is almost as bright as the SF M951 and it weighs ONE OUNCE
    I'll get you some weights but the M951 body with XM tail cap is pretty light. That's with ditching the humongous mounting clamp and the bulky head assembly.