Downloads
    Uploads

Reputable Safe Dealer

I'm getting more serious about actually pulling the trigger on getting a second safe as an overflow. I've identified options laid out for what I'm interested in based on budget, but what I'm finding really hard to research is WHERE to buy a safe. My local options are very limited except for one of the brands I'm looking at, so I'm trying to see who here has bought something over the 'net (or by phone) and hear your experiences, good or bad.

Google provides some of the initial big names (Dan's, Safe and Vault Store, etc) but sometimes it's tough to figure out how good the experience may be.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not sure where in Florida you reside, but I'm a little south of Tampa. I purchased two safes from https://www.libertysafesfl.com/

They are in Tampa, and do inside delivery and setup. Very professional, reasonable pricing. They are a "Premier" Liberty Safe Dealer.

Bought these two ...
    Name:  IMG_3581 Safes.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  900.7 KB
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a fan of Liberty, as well, so if that is a brand you are considering I'd reference their dealer network.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can't go wrong with Liberty, or Fort Knox. I have an actual, decent LGS here in my town now, but prior to that I dealt with Vance Outdoors. They are an Ohio-specific dealer, but they have 50 mile delivery with both curbside, and "white glove" indoor delivery. What that meant to me as a guy that "dropped" grand pianos for a living, is putting down masonite on expensive hardwood flooring, and even bracing the floor from below to handle the excessive weight of an 11' Steinway concert grand. Most places we delivered pianos could take the weight, some couldn't, so it's worth asking about if you aren't sure your floor can handle the traffic into it's resting place. It's also a good consideration to add a couple ceiling jacks below the final location to brace your floor over time and prevent creaks in hardwood floors, or cracked grout on tile from developing. Ideally, you have a walk-in basement, but not likely in FL. My buddy put his in, and had a pad poured onto the basement floor to elevate the safe several inches as insurance against the possibility of a water leak, or minor flooding. Those are just a couple of things people don't tend to think about when housing large items.
    Last edited by Joelski; 3 November 2022 at 12:13.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dont buy a safe, buy a vault. Fort knox is what I have, the closest dealer was a locksmith so I ordered through him and he delivered and installed it. I also bolted it down to the concrete floor, thats a must or theives will just roll it out on a dolly and open it elsewhere. I spent 5K on it as I also added some upgrades to it, the door alone weighs like 900lbs. If your storing for instance 30-100k worth of valuables in a vault then dropping 5-10k on it is a no brainer. Go to Fort knox's website and build out the one you want and also find a dealer near you. Oh, and buy one that is BIGGER than what you think you will need!!
    Last edited by Stone; 3 November 2022 at 13:17.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have the cash and really want the best get a Graffunder... https://graffundersafes.com/options/exterior/

That will be my next vault...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The big difference between Ft Knox and other safes or vaults is that they use concrete in between the sheets of steel that make up the panels and door. Others use wallboard to fill that space, and add some fire resistance, but it doesn't come close to the insulative properties of concrete in that application. Yes, it takes a lot of people to move one of those heavy bastards, too. No way I'd put that on a joist floor unless you double 2x12's with posts underneath. They're almost impractical for homes unless you have a slab, or a walk-out basement.

My final solution is going to be a vault door. I have a huge walk-in cedar closet in the central part of my house that I am going to lift the boards and line the studs with pig wire and call it good, other than insurance. between a heavy steel door and walls that are almost impossible to breach, it should qualify for my FFL inspection.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you're mostly limited to local dealers because of freight for the most part.

When I first started out, I bought all my safes from Costco, because they would deliver anywhere and throw that freight cost into the cost of the safe. Hopefully someone here knows a better dealer for shipping you a safe if you can't buy local.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Dont buy a safe, buy a vault.
    A vault isn't an option in the house. It would be a great solution, but just not practical in this case.

Also, this isn't a primary safe. This is a secondary one that will have items that aren't as much value as what's in the primary. I'm probably more worried about delaying fire damage than theft, although there are some options that do both fairly well. I'm intentionally not mentioning brands because there are plenty of other posts on the internet discussing that and it usually ends up being a "I bought this brand, so it's the best..."

That said, this site is pretty tight knit and that helps eliminate that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I think you're mostly limited to local dealers because of freight for the most part.
    So when I first started looking at this a year ago, I did find other places that do ship, usually to the curb. Shipping is surprisingly not terrible, but then you have to pay some more to have the driver put it in the garage and then pay a safe mover to move it into the house. That's not the end of the world, but some extra leg work (and obviously expense).

There's a reputable safe moving company here (that's also a dealer) that I've used before and they were great. If I end up buying from them, that makes it easy, but they are only a one brand (mostly) dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Not sure where in Florida you reside, but I'm a little south of Tampa. I purchased two safes from https://www.libertysafesfl.com/
    The dealer I just mentioned sells them up here in Jax and they're on the short list. It's the other brands/SKUs that are on my list that I'm trying to source to maximize options.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not sure how long they've been in the safe biz, but Browning has some nice looking products ranging from pretty big to "Holy Crap!" in size and capacity. Have you seen any in your area? I would think JAX wouldn't have a shortage of anything firearms related.