Thread: AR500

Downloads
    Uploads

AR500

So AR500 was running a JUly 4th sale on a sentry package and I couldn't pass up the price. Do I really need one? Probably not. Will I ever use it? Probably not. Is it good just to have? Probably. Could I swing $177.60? Well, if you paypal me, sure!

Level 3 plates curved front and flat black.

Name:  sdf.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  895.4 KB
    BRUUUHHHH....Do you EVEN OPERATE?!?!

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's the weight per plate?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    What's the weight per plate?
    Each plate weighs about 10lbs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisauss View Post
    Each plate weighs about 10lbs.
    ouch

I'm thinking about dumping my plates....but I can't beat that price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had to wear my plates at my shoothouse class a couple weekends ago.
    Mine are hovering just over 8lbs each.

I will say that other, lighter plates are MUCH more comfortable. If I knew I'd have to be in the plates all day I'd ditch the steel for something else.
    Having said that, once I got in the shoot house, I forgot I was wearing the armor. Those 16-18lbs just faded away.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Adrenalin does wondrous things!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post

I will say that other, lighter plates are MUCH more comfortable. If I knew I'd have to be in the plates all day I'd ditch the steel for something else.
    Having said that, once I got in the shoot house, I forgot I was wearing the armor. Those 16-18lbs just faded away.
    How long were you in the shoot house?

My ESAPIs are only about 6lbs apiece (the ones I'm debating selling) but they had to be. Wearing 20-30lbs of JUST armor then adding weapons, ammo, frags, water, commo, demo....and your foot patrol will have fun playing mountain goat in Afghanistan or in the Iraqi moon dust when it's 120*.

I'm not saying one scenario is better/more worthy than the other; they're just two different missions with different requirements. In my case, equipment weight HAD to be factored in, money....not really. Hadj was already packing lighter than we could ever dream about, and every pound just widened the gap

Downloads
    Uploads

My ESAPIs are only about 6lbs apiece (the ones I'm debating selling) but they had to be. Wearing 20-30lbs of JUST armor then adding weapons, ammo, frags, water, commo, demo....and your foot patrol will have fun playing mountain goat in Afghanistan or in the Iraqi moon dust when it's 120*.

I'm not saying one scenario is better/more worthy than the other; they're just two different missions with different requirements. In my case, equipment weight HAD to be factored in, money....not really. Hadj was already packing lighter than we could ever dream about, and every pound just widened the gap
    Oh, yeah our two scenarios are about as far apart as one could get.

A 16 hour day and then a 10 hour day. But I wasn't earing my armor the entire time either. When when I was next up to shoot, while I was shooting and then through the next shooter.

There were times I'd be wearing them for about 2 hours while I was on the catwalk over the house watching other shooters.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    ouch

I'm thinking about dumping my plates....but I can't beat that price.
    It's a little on the mid weight side, hence this was called the Sentry package. Could have been heavier if I opted for the side plates too. The price couldn't be beat for especially for a civvi like myself who probably won't ever see "TRUE" usage of the armor itself. **impulses....sometimes they're good and bad...lol**

Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post

To be honest, after I strapped in with 4 mags loaded (2 pmags and 2 usgi's) plus one pistol and 2 15rd mags. It felt as if I was carrying my backpack from college. lolol

Truth^

Downloads
    Uploads
    Heads up for you guys using steel plates from AR500. There is a recall on Level III plates made in February and March 2016.

https://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2016...II-Body-Armor/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Please be aware that there is no reason to believe that these plates will properly protect against M193. Shooting a plate at 30 yards doesn't tell you what will happen when the plate is shot at 3 yards or 7 yards.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 21 July 2016 at 07:20.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Please be aware that there is no reason to believe that these plates will properly protect against M193. Shooting a plate at 30 yards doesn't tell you what will happen when the plate is shot at 3 yards or 7 yards.
    I shot a PASGT plate (precursor to SAPI plate...and unfortunately, cell phone cameras) with a combination of pistol, 5.56, and one 12 ga slug. I was amazed at what it withstood. I was close enough to the roughly 10"x12" plate to place my shots in "fresh" locales...but NONE of them went through. 6 rounds of 55gr FMJ, 6 rounds of 230gr .45 and one 12 ga sabot slug right in the middle. The wearer of said vest would not have sustained a gunshot but would probably not have an internal organ or rib left in tact.

That being said, despite anti-spall coatings, I have seen test videos of spalling on some AR500 plates that make me cringe. One fragment up into your throat or down into your groin/femoral artery...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've heard friends say they liked the dragon skin, but $$$$$, so it wasn't widely issued. Not sure the status of it now. Has anybody had a chance to try it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I've heard friends say they liked the dragon skin, but $$$$$, so it wasn't widely issued. Not sure the status of it now. Has anybody had a chance to try it?
    DragonSkin had a very poor reputation over on Lightfighter and ProfessionalSoldiers, issues with delamination, discs slipping out of place due to adhesive failure, excessive weight, etc.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=14523

Downloads
    Uploads
    Copy that. It was a while back and I figured since nothing more was said, it must not have fared too well. These guys were stoked to see something better come along, like any groundhog. Pounds is pain.