Downloads
    Uploads

Starting the SMOS build

My SMOS receiver set should be here next week and here is my build plan...

I am going to build a 16" barreled Recce type rifle.

I plan on using a rifle length buffer tube with a Lancer A1 length fixed stock. For a handguard I am going to go with a Noveske NSR 15" or NQR 15". Only reason I am not going with SMOS is because I already have accessorized for Pic rails and Keymod and don't feel like adding MLOK to the mixed (I have also tried an MLOK rail and prefer the keymod mounting system for various reasons). I would love to save the cash and get an SMOS rail but Keymod works for me.

I am going to run a 16" midlength barrel. At this point I have narrowed it down to either a Noveske Lightweight 16" SS barrel or a Larue Predator 16" middy barrel. Leaning towards the Noveske at the moment due to the SMOS receivers being essentially Noveske receivers that are slickside. I am then planning on running a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x scope. And just out of curiosity I am going to try out one of those new b.a.d. adjustable pistol grips.

Only questions are if my rifle length buffer will play nice with a 16" middy barrel. By my estimation, there shouldn't be any problems.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a nice build. I don't see why that buffer system wouldn't work. I'd maybe even consider the noveske 16" with intermediate gas system mstn sells.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can only tell you that a carb buffer will work just fine with a JP spring, so there. A tradition of un-helpful answers! :)

Sweet list! Remember the old saw about worthless without pics...
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got my stuff yesterday. I love the Lancer stock but it just doesn't work for me. I need a shorter length of pull so I will be going for an adjustable stock...probably going to go UBR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    Got my stuff yesterday. I love the Lancer stock but it just doesn't work for me. I need a shorter length of pull so I will be going for an adjustable stock...probably going to go UBR.
    You going to wait for the UBR 2 ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You going to wait for the UBR 2 ?
    This build is not going to be finished overnight...however with magpul, you never know when the Gen 2 may be released. If I find a good deal on a UBR gen 1 I will bite, otherwise I will wait.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not too sure the v. 2 is that much of an improvement. Anything other than the weight that's compelling you to wait?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I'm not too sure the v. 2 is that much of an improvement. Anything other than the weight that's compelling you to wait?
    Cost.

If MSRP is $199 vs $265 for the UBR2, that probably puts dealer cost around the $130's, at that point I'll be getting 1/2 dozen of them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Cost.

If MSRP is $199 vs $265 for the UBR2, that probably puts dealer cost around the $130's, at that point I'll be getting 1/2 dozen of them.
    x2...... only I'm only wanting one to try initially.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The V.2 also has a longer LOP than the original and is about the same as an ACS. If I didn't already have what I need on my precision guns in the form of ACSsssess, the v.2 UBR would be on my waitlist at DSG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I decided on a Larue PredatAR barrel for this build. Even though the PredatAR barrel is a lighter profile than that of a Recce barrel (and also a middy), I think it will suit my needs well. This is going to be more of a precision rig, but will sacrifice some overall accuracy for a lighter handling rifle that can have multiple uses. I just couldn't pass up the barrel for a $225 price tag (plus $25 for m4 cuts).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mainly Bench Shooting with this one?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Mainly Bench Shooting with this one?
    Mainly bench shooting. But I like some versatility so I opted for the lighter profile.