Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Suppressed 300blk SBR malfunction

I'm hoping for some insight for an uncle who had a problem with his SBR today.

While running through some ammo he had a round get stuck in the chamber. The bolt was 90% closed and couldn't bull the charging handle back. The round wouldn't seat all the way or come out.

After mortaring the stock into ground a few times he finally got the round out.

Here is the round compared to three spent casings.

Would I be correct in assuming the spent casing that is bent is due to hitting the brass deflector?

Here is the round compared to an unused round

And in between two other rounds

Here is also three unused rounds. Not one that jammed.

Looks like not a great "remanufacturing" job but I'm no expert

Also of note, after he got it unstuck I asked him to manually cycle a few rounds to see if they got hung up or marked up at all. The third or fourth round he cycled out of the magazine chambered but when he pulled the charging handle to eject the round, the round stayed in the chamber and the bolt didn't extract it

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't really tell because the case is so dirty, but it looks like they didn't properly size the neck and shoulder of that brass or size it period.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another option that it could be (and I am no 300 expert) is overgassing and carrier speed. I was having a problem with my 10.5 where the bolt speed was just too fast. It was not only chewing up brass but it would literally bend the brass in all sorts of ways. I had several problems like you describe above (only with .223).

My bolt wouldn't close all the way and some brass would look mangled.

That problem seems to have been eliminated by going to a heavier H2 buffer and now even a different buffer spring.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That ammo looks like garbage. Almost certainly the cause.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That round looks ugly! You mentioned "Re-manufactured; If its a supplier, we'd all love to know who, so those of us that don't reload might avoid that one!

The flat spot on the casing is somewhat common for blackout according to a recent thread. My biggest concern would be how many times that casing was previously shot. If I'm seeing correctly, that case is scuffed where it hung-up in the chamber and by some good luck, the extractor claw held onto it when you mortared the rifle. It looks like it bulged at some point and made it through QC at the ammo plant.

Of course, one of the pro reloaders will come along and offer a completely different hypothesis and you should pick that one!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you can see the inconsistency of the reloaded ammo on a iPhone the cause is apparent.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't even know if they sell outside the area but it's from a place called garage gunz in north charleston sc. Purchased when he was living in the area

I should add the upper is a factory gen 3 noveske

So is everyone in agreement that the ammo is junk, don't use it, and carry on with more quality ammo?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely not the upper. Shitcan that ammo for sure. It's not worth potentially damaging a Noveske over.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Definitely not the upper. Shitcan that ammo for sure. It's not worth potentially damaging a Noveske over.
    Which is surprisingly similar to what I said PRIOR to him purchasing this ammo. Plus a Surefire mini 7.62 sits on this almost permanently too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will never understand people that dump money into quality gear and then shoot shit ammo expecting stellar performance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm pretty sure it was a function of what was available at the time more than t
    Trying to save $.08 a round

Downloads
    Uploads
    Those days are finally in the rear view mirror. Now you can find Hornady and Remington/UMP at wally world (if you can stand to set foot in there). Quite frankly, I like Freedom Munitions 147 for everyday shooting, and I have some Nosler for accuracy in one stop, and it shows up at my door. No distractions, and no crowds. About the only time I buy ammo at a store is when I'm taking home a new gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Buying ammo from garage gunz......Run away....lol

Pick up some good factory ammo and see what it does...also reloading for the BO will pay dividends and allow for Moar ammo... :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you heard of them before?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fairly obvious to me at least the case in question was not sized properly. I recently ran into an issue with some of my own reloads where the sizing die wasn't properly adjusted and produced the exact problem you have here. If you look closely enough at the neck and the shoulder you can see it in your picture.

The green tip is my reload compared to factory ammo. Ignore the line. In the second picture you can see how far it was out of spec in the case gauge. If you don't want to toss all the ammo, I would get a gauge and check all that's left and just toss the ones that don't fit. But overall, 300BLK is something that needs to be purchased from a reputable place, this round can be easily messed up with large consequences, both subs and supers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk