Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

308 receivers and build ideas

Up late and thinking again..Had a aero 308 receiver set right after they came out but a few little problems and issues made me decide to drop it...

But back to thinking again I need a 308 setup,dropping the BO and need something different then 556 for the next build..

So not been paying to much attention to this side lately , what other receiver/sets are out there , from cheaper and up? Sure wish the aero sets were $220 when I bought it a year or so ago..

Anyways assuming that the dpms style is still the better option for more stuff, handguards,bcgs still?

Ideally I just want a decent 16-18" gun to go screw around with/bang steel and if need be take out hunting

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyways assuming that the dpms style is still the better option for more stuff, handguards,bcgs still?
    Basically, yes, but there's also the SR-25-style which follows most of the DPMS standards where it counts, but has a slant cut. These will still work with PMAGs and all the DPMS action parts. Examples include: KAC, LMT, Larue, and Mega.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me, the main impediment to adoption of the 308 AR is weight. Accordingly, the most interesting receiver set on the market to me is the 2A Armament Xanthos

I've looked over a Xanthos set in a LGS pretty closely and was impressed and will likely pick one up eventually.

And I've said it before, but the 6.8 SPC has been my "solution" to the weight issue of the 308 AR and I've been very pleased with the rounds performance (I used it for white tail hunting).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sometimes weight isn't a bad thing, especially when it comes to 308 ARs. They're much harder to shoot accurately and the additional mass reduces the felt recoil and movement.

If you shoot a DD5v1 next to a LMT MWS the DD has a much harsher recoil, mainly because it weighs over a lb less.

Unfortunately piecing together a 308 AR is not as easy as an AR15 since there are different receiver heights, uppers and lowers, barrel extensions and bolts, and so forth. It's expensive, but if you want it to run well I recommend getting a factory rifle.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Sometimes weight isn't a bad thing, especially when it comes to 308 ARs. They're much harder to shoot accurately and the additional mass reduces the felt recoil and movement.

If you shoot a DD5v1 next to a LMT MWS the DD has a much harsher recoil, mainly because it weighs over a lb less.

Unfortunately piecing together a 308 AR is not as easy as an AR15 since there are different receiver heights, uppers and lowers, barrel extensions and bolts, and so forth. It's expensive, but if you want it to run well I recommend getting a factory rifle.
    This.

I'm going with a factory LMT MWS for my next .308. Virtually every other AR10 chassis I've built up needed some kind of tuning before the gun would run reliably.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I stuck it out with my M5 receiver set. Used an Aero bolt and a Ballistic Advantage (Aero owned) 18" barrel. I had an issue in the beginning with a failure to pick up the next round and no bolt hold open on an empty magazine. I ditched the only adjustable gas block I've ever used (Syrac) and put a standard gas block back on. It's been 100% ever since. I hear that Aero is coming out with a revised set of M5 receivers and handguards, possibly as soon as a couple of weeks out. As other have said, the large frame AR is no walk in the park to build, but I do believe it is getting easier. It just takes some research.

Shots from mine after changing back to the fixed gas block. Shooting at 670 yards with 168gr handloads.

"There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong." - H.L. Mencken

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is awesome!! Wish I had somewhere like that to shoot around here.

I stuck it out with my Mega AR10 build too. Had the exact opposite problem that you had. The standard Noveske low profile gas block was so violent it was ripping the primers out of the .308 casings. Traded the Noveske GB out for an adjustable Syrac Ordnance Low Pro and dialed the gas in classic text book fashion and now that thing runs like a demon!

MEGA MATEN 18” AR10 Marksman Rifle
    Mega MKM Maten Extended Rifle Length Keymod Set
    Mega .308 Billet Upper Receiver
    Mega .308 Billet Ambi Lower Receiver
    Mega Lightweight Extruded Keymod Handguard

Lower
    Rainier Arms Buffer Tube Tube/Buffer and spring Assembly
    Magpul ACS Mil-Spec Stock W/Limbsaver Butt Pad
    Mega Branded Hogue Rubber Finger Grooved Pistol Grip
    JP Lower Parts Kit Mil-Spec Minus Trigger Assembly
    Geissele Hi-Speed National Match DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) Trigger
    Battle Arms Development Combat Ambi Safety Selector Switch
    Battle Arms Development Enhanced Magazine Release
    Norgon Ambi Bolt Catch/Release

Upper
    Mega Arms .308 Charging Handle
    Mega Arms .308 Barrel 18” Mid Length Gas .750 Block Journal 1:10 Twist
    Rainier Arms Ultra Match .308 Bolt Carrier Group
    Syrac Ordnance .750 Set Screw Low Pro Adjustable Gas Block
    SLR Synergy Comp 30 Cal 5/8x24 Thread
    Lewis Machine Tool .308 Flip Up BUIS Set Front/Rear
    Gear Sector Rail Mount QD Socket/Swivel Set

Optics
    Bobro Precision Optic Mount Extended 30mm Rings
    Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 30mm Tube FFP Illuminated EBR-1 MRAD Reticle
    Aadmount Objective/Occular Lens Cap Covers and Throw Lever

Bipod
    B&T Atlas Bipod Lever With ADM 170 Lever

Last edited by old11bravo; 25 July 2016 at 13:36.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm still planning to do one this winter (Hopefully). Honestly, I've looked at 6.5 Creed and other "better" calibers, but I don't really see a lot of factory backing, and I can't really see the compelling part at all for myself. I'm pretty sure I won't be shooting over 400 yards with any frequency and as much as I've considered it, I still can't bring myself to make that step into reloading. The pluses for .308 add-up to well more than its negatives, from what I can find.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This.

I'm going with a factory LMT MWS for my next .308. Virtually every other AR10 chassis I've built up needed some kind of tuning before the gun would run reliably.
    Maybe your industry connections can get me a second MWS .308 barrel to go along with your gun. Krieger wants ~$700 for what's basically their M110 barrel.

While it works now, I wish there was a more readily available alternative to the Rainier barrel I got as it's just so gassy. I didn't want to spend the cash on a LMT at the time, especially since I already owned a compatible lower, but going the LMT route seems like the easiest "total package" solution for not a stupid crazy amount of money.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Beautiful rifle! Guess we should have traded gas blocks! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by old11bravo View Post
    That is awesome!! Wish I had somewhere like that to shoot around here.

I stuck it out with my Mega AR10 build too. Had the exact opposite problem that you had. The standard Noveske low profile gas block was so violent it was ripping the primers out of the .308 casings. Traded the Noveske GB out for an adjustable Syrac Ordnance Low Pro and dialed the gas in classic text book fashion and now that thing runs like a demon!
    Last edited by DutchTerror; 26 July 2016 at 04:14.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Weight is a bad thing when you plan on actually taking your rifle into the mountains to look for ungulates. I'll probably go with a necked down cartridge to help mitigate the other factors you mention. Am leaning towards 7mm-08 due to availability of commercial hunting ammo, but am also considering .260 and 6.5 Creed. This is a ways out for me, though, as 6.8 SPC does what I need it to do for whitetail.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Maybe your industry connections can get me a second MWS .308 barrel to go along with your gun. Krieger wants ~$700 for what's basically their M110 barrel.

While it works now, I wish there was a more readily available alternative to the Rainier barrel I got as it's just so gassy. I didn't want to spend the cash on a LMT at the time, especially since I already owned a compatible lower, but going the LMT route seems like the easiest "total package" solution for not a stupid crazy amount of money.
    I'll definitely see what I can do when the time comes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's above and beyond. If you do, I would appreciate it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good info fellas...and some nice builds ...

I still haven't won the lotto, power ball or publishers clearing house yet as kinda pricing out some of these builds ideas...damn it adds up fast..then optics...

Might not happen I'm thinking, but damnit one got like 500+ rounds and reloading stuff for 308 just sitting here collecting dust..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Admittedly I'm an optics snob, but I always pick the optic before I plan the rifle. Then the price is known.

Plus, I firmly believe you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't spend as much on the glass as the rifle, unless it's a red dot, especially on something larger than 5.56 since you're investing much more money into ammo.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com