Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10/22 Builds

Downloads
    Uploads

10/22 Builds

I have been thinking about it for a while now so I am dipping my toe into the 10/22 world. I have been reading and studying about it so I am going to be doing a custom 10/22 build. In fact two of them. One merely by luck!!

The first build I am doing is going to be primarily a 10/22 out of Kidd custom parts. Anyway after a bunch of reading (for a few weeks already) I went to a gun show and luckily there was a 10/22 booth. I got to hang out with 10/22 people and test out and see a lot of the good stuff on the market right now. That settled a lot the lingering debates I was having (caused by merely internet shopping). I got to test out and handle parts from the likes of Kidd, Volquartsen, etc etc.

I left there with a Kidd 10/22 reciever which will be the base of my custom job. I chose that one because I wanted it to match the trigger I was getting. The Volquartsen trigger was good, but the Kidd trigger was on a whole new level. It was like a total "WOW!" moment the minute I pulled that Kidd trigger. All it took was one trigger pull to settle the entire debate. I thought 'the trigger is in for sure, so I might as well have a matching reciever'... In that order.

I am going to be piecing this thing together as I get the money to do it.

Other than the reciever and trigger set I have not made up my mind for a barrel or anything else. At the end of the day it will probably be 90-100% Kidd components merely because, yes they are that much better.

----

On the second build though it is kind of interesting. A few days after I bought that 10/22 reciever a lady from nearby is moving so she came over to the house and handed me a 10/22. She can't take it with her and didn't want it so she gave it to me. It's in 'ok' condition but it needs a bit of work (it does however function just fine) but considering there are no sites on it at all I couldn't hit anything with it. It hasn't been cared for all that well but it still functions.

It's ideal for a project gun and for me to learn some basic gun smithing. I am thinking about making some sort of little .22LR blaster out of it. It was just a total surprise to be given a gun. It has some minor rust spots on it but it runs like a champ. The barrel needs replaced for one. Somebody "gently" tapped the muzzle of the gun with a hammer for some reason.

I will take it apart and clean it up, strip the paint off of the reciever, either paint or cerekote it (which I will need help with). Of course I will get a new stock for it as well. I will use the reciever, bolt, and trigger that came with it...other stuff not so much.

If you have any ideas do feel free to share. I am interested in the commentary and ideas about what I could do to make a cool little blaster out of the thing.

I also will probably call on some of you to help me learn how to do things like cerakote it or paint it, or know what I can and can't sand off of the thing, or if I even want to do that at all.

Anyway that's my two projects. I didn't really intend to get into it that soon, but now it looks like I am in there with both feet.

I am looking forward to completing them. When that happens I don't know, but 99% of it depends on how my money works out so they might be slow(ish) projects....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I could do one of these:

Name:  033-p90-11.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  32.7 KB

Or I could do a slide fire version of a 10/22...

Or I can go buck rodgers with it with a thumb hole stock...

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a 10/22 in a rare Red Jacket ZK-22 stock, and it's cool, but ultimately pretty pointless. The bullpup trigger is just mediocre and the ergonomics aren't terribly conducive to accuracy or speed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You would think after all this time, someone could design a half decent looking 10/22 magazine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Cock View Post
    I've got a 10/22 in a rare Red Jacket ZK-22 stock, and it's cool, but ultimately pretty pointless. The bullpup trigger is just mediocre and the ergonomics aren't terribly conducive to accuracy or speed.
    Nothing Red Jacket goes on anything of mine :) LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    You would think after all this time, someone could design a half decent looking 10/22 magazine.
    You no likey the banana?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Nothing Red Jacket goes on anything of mine :) LOL
    Heh, not without reason. But, I got a deal I couldn't pass up on that piece a couple years back. I'll probably sell it at a profit whenever I make my way across the country to that stash again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First question for all you 'builders, fixers, and gun pimpers...

What are my options for doing a 'home based' paint/cerakote/ or other option?

Please note I can take guns apart and put them back together no problem but doing the cosmetic stuff is new to me so I will use this relatively simple job to try and learn from.

If I decide to paint it, what kind of paint? If I am going to cerakote it, what do I need to get that done? Obviously I can't sand off the serial numbers but I will take some kind of light sand paper and knock off those shallow rust spots.

Basically I am going to break the whole thing down to a bare reciever and start there but 1. I am not sure my options of what I can coat or paint it with (that will be gun appropriate). 2. I don't know what tools I might need to acquire to get said job done.

If it's too big of a pain in the ass I might take it to someone else and have them do the ______ whatever to it but I would like to try it myself if its not too expensive to get the stuff.

I also don't know what it is coated with now, but I am guessing plain old paint stripper will take whatever it is off.

Basically in my mind the steps are to:

1. Strip it (ie the paint or whatever that is on there)
    2. Gently sand it to get the desired smooth texture

and then it will be a matter of dying, blue-ing, coating, painting, or whatever I wind up with.

Yes I could rattle can spray paint it but I am trying to use this project to learn something about that side of gun smithing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently "traded up" my 10/22 to the one with a factory threaded barrel and iron sights. I put on the Williams Fire sights with rear ghost ring. I wanted to keep this one scope free.
    I am looking at possibly getting some work done on it at CT Precision before I go Kidd crazy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had the ZK22 stock, and while it was cool. oh my GOD was it a pain in the ass to open up to clean after a lot of shooting suppressed. I gave it to a friend for his kid, and put a Magpul Hunter stock on mine and am so much happier. Also got a Brimestone trigger job and the normal mag release, bolt release, and other parts added on. With the Green Mountain 20" bull barreland a Vortex 2-10x scope, I pop the heads off of ptarmigan super easy. Between that and my M&P 15-22, I'm happy happy happy with my .22's
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cjd3 View Post
    I recently "traded up" my 10/22 to the one with a factory threaded barrel and iron sights. I put on the Williams Fire sights with rear ghost ring. I wanted to keep this one scope free.
    I am looking at possibly getting some work done on it at CT Precision before I go Kidd crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissyJim View Post
    I had the ZK22 stock, and while it was cool. oh my GOD was it a pain in the ass to open up to clean after a lot of shooting suppressed. I gave it to a friend for his kid, and put a Magpul Hunter stock on mine and am so much happier. Also got a Brimestone trigger job and the normal mag release, bolt release, and other parts added on. With the Green Mountain 20" bull barreland a Vortex 2-10x scope, I pop the heads off of ptarmigan super easy. Between that and my M&P 15-22, I'm happy happy happy with my .22's
    On my one build that one is going to be Kidd all the way (for the most part), maybe 100%. Don't know yet. I am going to think through it and see what I can come up with. I already have the reciever and I am for DAMN SURE getting the Kidd 1.5lb single stage trigger for it... (OMG I pulled that and it was just awesome! I got trigger wood from that thing.)

On the second one I have a few ideas but I might keep it simple for now. I am trying to think about what I want to do with it. I am thinking about keeping it relatively simple. A smooth black bull barrel (threaded) and maybe an olive rubber hogue stock. I could then find a relatively inexpensive scope for it and call it a day.

I can thrash the holy living crap out of the second one. I am seriously considering putting that slide fire on it LOL! I think I can get the second one up and running and fairly cool for a few hundred bucks.

Having two builds going at the same time is kind of weird for me because I want them both to be unique. Plus I am pretty new to the 10/22 thing, at least customizing them. I am definitely open for ideas but for right now I am going to focus on getting the cheap one up and running.

I haven't spent a nickel on the second build yet. I can either make it full on project where I learn things like cerakote or whatever but considering that I would only be cerakoting one fricking part I don't know if it's worth it to go that route.

Choices choices... too many choices. Don't be shy about giving ideas now... LOL.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    First question for all you 'builders, fixers, and gun pimpers...

What are my options for doing a 'home based' paint/cerakote/ or other option?

Please note I can take guns apart and put them back together no problem but doing the cosmetic stuff is new to me so I will use this relatively simple job to try and learn from.

If I decide to paint it, what kind of paint? If I am going to cerakote it, what do I need to get that done? Obviously I can't sand off the serial numbers but I will take some kind of light sand paper and knock off those shallow rust spots.

Basically I am going to break the whole thing down to a bare reciever and start there but 1. I am not sure my options of what I can coat or paint it with (that will be gun appropriate). 2. I don't know what tools I might need to acquire to get said job done.

If it's too big of a pain in the ass I might take it to someone else and have them do the ______ whatever to it but I would like to try it myself if its not too expensive to get the stuff.

I also don't know what it is coated with now, but I am guessing plain old paint stripper will take whatever it is off.

Basically in my mind the steps are to:

1. Strip it (ie the paint or whatever that is on there)
    2. Gently sand it to get the desired smooth texture

and then it will be a matter of dying, blue-ing, coating, painting, or whatever I wind up with.

Yes I could rattle can spray paint it but I am trying to use this project to learn something about that side of gun smithing.
    I almost didn't quote as...damn that's a lot to answer..

I am a tinkerer, have been since I was a kid riding bikes-dirtbikes-rebuilding motors before I could drive, then on to painting them, making th go faster-break them and repeat..lol

Not only cause I didn't have lots of money but enjoyed learning how things worked-and making them better.

Every gun I get, I tear it totally down and just look at stuff for a while to see how/why and what to do to make better or worse then better...lol

I'll say refinishing firearms with anything other then paint takes time,patience, some OCD, and just a general knowledge of everything your doing a planning-pre planning

Since we all know how you are,taking it to someone to get coated would save you headache, plus all the tools you need, I have been koting some stuff and off the bare essentials, like sanding with sandpaper will not produce the correct texture for cerakoting, need a sandblaster and use alum oxide or such, also need tubs or something for degreasing before blasting, after and before baking, prep is always the key for a good finish, also need some kind of oven, air compressor , spray gun/air brush , water separator/trap on your lines, good respirator, and rags, etc...like other parts of this hobby it adds up but I had most of the stuff from spraying cars and such..

It's fun to see something go from ugly to new again but it will take some time to get it down, plus a good size area to do it in..

Any more questions ask away, I know I'm not the only one cerakoting and such on here. But then you go the rattle can way, which I have before it's much easier but it's just paint do will wear fast and not as precise , etc...it's the cheaper , easier way but you can get decent results...ok that got longer then I thought..lol..

Downloads
    Uploads
    But to answer the 10/22 question...lol

I've always wanted to build up one , but haven't ..have an older (metal trigger guard 10/22) that my youngest really likes so might give that to him and that gives me an excuse to do my own setup, nothing crazy , maybe a magpul stock , heavier barrel -16" and trigger,mag release mods etc...but probably not anytime soon..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I'll say refinishing firearms with anything other then paint takes time,patience, some OCD, and just a general knowledge of everything your doing a planning-pre planning

Since we all know how you are,taking it to someone to get coated would save you headache, plus all the tools you need, I have been koting some stuff and off the bare essentials, like sanding with sandpaper will not produce the correct texture for cerakoting, need a sandblaster and use alum oxide or such, also need tubs or something for degreasing before blasting, after and before baking, prep is always the key for a good finish, also need some kind of oven, air compressor , spray gun/air brush , water separator/trap on your lines, good respirator, and rags, etc...like other parts of this hobby it adds up but I had most of the stuff from spraying cars and such..

It's fun to see something go from ugly to new again but it will take some time to get it down, plus a good size area to do it in..

Any more questions ask away, I know I'm not the only one cerakoting and such on here. But then you go the rattle can way, which I have before it's much easier but it's just paint do will wear fast and not as precise , etc...it's the cheaper , easier way but you can get decent results...ok that got longer then I thought..lol..
    From the sounds of it, it sounds like something I still would like to do but I would not be very good at it. I would be the guy that does the paint job with runs in it with a big old thumb print on it. That said I am not sure it is worth it to try and figure out on my own even though it would be a valuable skill to have.

If I had someone show me (like let me work around them in the shop while they did it) I am sure I could be fairly proficient at it though.

I don't know if I want to go down that rabbit hole. I would like to but it's a sidetrack that I might have to wait on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was more in the spirit of this guy...but even though its a good idea and in all honesty I have 90% of the tools (I don't have a spray gun but everything else is no problem)...I still might be getting too complicated.