Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10/22 Builds

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    He likes the tone on mine more , were constantly involved in a one up battle
    Omg. Seriously?

One question on the integrally suppressed barrel...

I'm not really sure of a 22 barrel life in general. 10,000? 20,000? 50,000 rounds?

Whatever that number is I would think the suppressor part would out last the barrel part.

I've looked marginally at AR barrel lives but I don't think I can make direct assumptions between the two.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Non jacketed lead bullets at low velocity means it's almost impossible to shoot out a .22 barrel. I would guess 90% of ruined barrels on .22's would come from improper cleaning. I have a 10/22 I got 35 years ago on my 10th birthday that shoots like the day I was given the rifle. I would be lying if I said I knew the round count but it has to be well over 100k. as dirty as .22's are, I would think the can would be done long before the barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Non jacketed lead bullets at low velocity means it's almost impossible to shoot out a .22 barrel. I would guess 90% of ruined barrels on .22's would come from improper cleaning. I have a 10/22 I got 35 years ago on my 10th birthday that shoots like the day I was given the rifle. I would be lying if I said I knew the round count but it has to be well over 100k. as dirty as .22's are, I would think the can would be done long before the barrel.
    Duly noted. This is valuable information. Thanks.

I guess the type of barrel doesn't matter? Those 'sleeved' barrels? A stainless one? Anything?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I am coming down to some ideas for my 10/22 builds. Naturally I would like to get forum feedback though.

On my 'nice' build I am more than likely going full Kidd. Kidd reciever, Kidd threaded black bull barrel (bead blasted), 1.5lb Kidd single stage trigger. I will also go with the magpul polymer stock because of it's modularity and because it's M-lok compatible.

Now as for optics, I stopped in a sporting good store and saw some of their off the shelf stuff. Of everything I looked at Leupold was the clearest glass of them all. I don't know exactly how good those scopes really are. I don't want to spend some stupid amount of money though on an optic. They had one that went up to 12x that was pretty nice and it seemed reasonable. $200-$300 dollar ish.

That said I want to get forum input on 10/22 optics. 9x-12x is long end minimums. I can compare reticles from there. That Leupold I saw was fairly nice but I am unfamiliar with them as a brand. I've heard of them but I have never used them put it that way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My list of optics was the Vortex , Nikon & Leupold but couldn't justify the extra money on the Nikon or Leupold for my use .
    The glass on my Vortex Crossfire II was nicer than I was expecting for the price point . I didn't feel the need to put to much money into an optic that would have no recoil or to much abuse , I'm more than happy with it .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sequim Shooter has the Nikon so maybe he could chime in on it .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Leupold is a solid manufacturer...been around forever. Used to be all American made, but I think some parts are manufactured in other countries now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys. The more options the better. I know I could spend a crapload of money on the optic for a rifle, but considering that it's for a .22 I definitely don't need alot of bells and whistles on the thing.

The more options I can look at and window shop for now, the better. I've kind of decided that for my 'nice' gun I am going to try and make it an accurate shooter so the form and format are starting to take place.

--

For the other gun (the cheap IE free 10/22) with rust spots on it and a hammered in barrel crown...I am not sure what I will make of that one. That one will probably see a lot more abuse but I am not yet sure what format to make it so that it's a different style of gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I put a new stock on my 10/22 today, as I slowly work through an upgrade of the little carbine I've had since the 80's. Victor Company just (finally) released the Titan 10/22 stock in OD green, which I had been waiting for:

The optic is a Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32 that I picked up on sale (under $170) some time ago. It's nice for rimfire as it has the parallax adjustment. The cantilever pic rail is from LaRue. The trigger is the cheap, but better than factor, Ruger BRX pack. Next up will be new barrel since the Titan will allow me more freedom of choice as far as profile goes. Am leaning towards the Kidd Ultralight right now, but may go with a Feddersen as I'm trying to keep the cost down on this little plinker.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I put a new stock on my 10/22 today, as I slowly work through an upgrade of the little carbine I've had since the 80's. Victor Company just (finally) released the Titan 10/22 stock in OD green, which I had been waiting for:

The optic is a Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32 that I picked up on sale (under $170) some time ago. It's nice for rimfire as it has the parallax adjustment. The cantilever pic rail is from LaRue. The trigger is the cheap, but better than factor, Ruger BRX pack. Next up will be new barrel since the Titan will allow me more freedom of choice as far as profile goes. Am leaning towards the Kidd Ultralight right now, but may go with a Feddersen as I'm trying to keep the cost down on this little plinker.
    NIIIICE!

So with that setup you have there is the rifle balanced? I mean take off the bipod and how is the handling? I know yours doesn't have a bull barrel on it yet, but that is one thing I am kind of concerned/thinking about is the end result balance I get if I slap on a heavy bull barrel. It would be kind of nice if I could handle different guns in different configurations to see how they feel to me. That would answer a lot of questions right there before I start forking out the dough.

On my cheapy build I might do an ultra light barrel on that one but I haven't made up my mind yet. It helps that I have no money right now.

I thought also that on my 'free' 10/22 that I might put a hogue soft stock on it. I am really not sure. I have a hard enough time thinking through one rifle at a time LOL!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, Alamo. W/o the Harris, the center of gravity is at the mag well, so I think it balances well. Balance is part of the reason why I'm not really considering full bull barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK I need to get some input from the group here.

Even though cash is limited right now I managed to spare a couple hundred bucks to put together my 'zombie' 10/22. My full on Kidd rifle is on hold until I get more money. (That said this zombie rifle is going to help me make better choices for the Kidd once I get there).

I bought a 16" threaded bull barrel, an upgraded V block and a rubberized Hogue 10/22 stock for this one. What I am going to need is a little piece of rail to mount an optic on it, which I will find that later.

I want to get input on an inexpensive optic for a little 10/22 blaster. I am thinking a 1x or 2x or 4x or whatever...who the heck knows kind of optic... I was even thinking that 2.5x from primary arms might be interesting.... but then again this is going on a 10/22. I don't want to go overboard.

I want ideas.

I already have the Kidd receiver and I will trick that one out in a big way with a long optic or whatnot and set it up for precision shooting.

For my little halfway free zombie 10/22 though I want something fundamentally different. I am leaning towards some kind of options like I mentioned above but I want to get options and feedback and ideas that falls into that realm.