Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    FYIW, I've bought numerous Geissele and ALG products over the years and the triggers were the only things that had perfect fit and finish. Other products some times have a minor nick or ding. Those imperfections never effected anything and I'll put worse marks on the stuff anyways so I've never sent anything back

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I don't expect much, so I'm rarely disappointed.
    Depends on how much money it is and what it's supposed to do I guess :) That applies to more than one thing, and not just shooting.

For me when it comes down to it equipment or ammo or whatever wigit it is can have an effect on the outcome. If you have a crappy barrel, your ammo sucks, and your scope mount is loose you'll never know if the problem really is your abilities or not

That said I think there is such a thing as over doing it sometimes.

One fantastic component rarely will compensate for the other crappy ones. Crappy barrel + match ammo and $2000 dollar optic still won't produce results.

However if you take the 'decathalon method' it works out better. Do good enough in each event to win the whole thing. You don't have to jump the highest or be the fastest in order to win...

I like nice stuff just as much as the next guy (or even more) and when I get the 'package' together it forces me to focus on my skills rather than not knowing or bitching about gear.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Wow. Nitpicking to the extreme. LOL

My money is that's not even a machine mark per say but a action of deburring the jewelry saw cut when they remove the caps. Likely a Abtex type deburring system or something similar.

Looks just the cut edges of high end engine components with tolerences far beyond a scope mount. Specifically connecting rods.

The anodizing flaws would be an issue for me unless they were in concealed locations.

The chipped anodizing is on the front of the rings facing the target, not concealed. It was a minor annoyance, but not a big deal.
    The rings begged to be lapped smooth (I know, not something one should do, obviously so I did not). I say this, because they had a rougher ID finish than my Bobro and Nightforce.

Which raises the question...why pay $100 more, for a poorer finished product of equal or greater weight? I bought the Geissele mount because I expected that the parts of it which interfaced with the optic would be at least the equal of my NF Unimount. It isn't so.

So tell me, should I have kept it? Why? Why not replace it with one that isn't rough, or another product entirely? Should I just lump the $100 Geissele penalty because the rough finish and chipped anodizing "won't affect function"? I'm not that generous.

That really is the crux of the matter. This is the most expensive product that will meet my needs (attach scope to rifle reliably). It will not do so any better than a $225 product. So where is the difference? I expected it to be in the execution, and was dissapointed. I am getting my money back, and have nothing ill to say about the process. Sadly, the Geissele mount I found listed in stock---was not, so it may be a bit longer before I can compare the replacement to this one, as I feel that the one I had was indeed a fluke. It didn't look anything like my first Geissele mount, which was artwork.

The real litmus test here, is...would anyone have bought this from me for $350? because that's what you'll pay for it ANYWHERE ELSE without a insider discount. Or would you rather buy a different mount than this exact one? I am betting 99% of you would have wanted to buy a different one. Just a hunch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm guessing the pictures posted aren't doing justice to the issues you're describing. You asked for our blind opinion on the inner surfaces of the rings...and got it. I agree that I would have high expectations from Geissele, without seeing the mount in person it's hard to say what I'd think. The chipped anodizing would probably bother me if it was visible. If you weren't satisfied with it...you did the right thing by returning it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviantLogic View Post
    I'm guessing the pictures posted aren't doing justice to the issues you're describing. You asked for our blind opinion on the inner surfaces of the rings...and got it. I agree that I would have high expectations from Geissele, without seeing the mount in person it's hard to say what I'd think. The chipped anodizing would probably bother me if it was visible. If you weren't satisfied with it...you did the right thing by returning it.
    You nailed it. The pictures posted did not do what you are describing justice. Maybe we need to see some better ones to be on the same page?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You nailed it. The pictures posted did not do what you are describing justice. Maybe we need to see some better ones to be on the same page?
    I will take pictures of my new Geissele mount when it arrives, for comparison. I think then you will see what I was talking about. I would compare it to my NF Unimount, but I don't remove scopes once I mount them. They are as inseparable from their mounts as NFA items are from the owner, in my opinion. Yes it can be done, but NO.

I took pictures of the Geissele mount from multiple angles, and will gladly compare them when my replacement (found one in stock) arrives.

The texture inside the rings, at first I thought it was just dust or grit, so I cleaned the inside of the rings with acetone thoroughly. This is when I realized that there were "scratches" running left to right, and radially, all inside the rings. Would this harm function? Likely not. However, when coupled with the chipped anodizing, and the readily apparent machine marks on the rest of the mount, I asked myself...wtf did I buy this for instead of another Unimount, or a Badger?

They both hold a 30mm scope solidly to the upper, and the Geissele is the heaviest of the 3. So...why? Well, because I expected more exact machining, and I do not feel that was what I got. If there are machine marks on the ID of the rings, mill cuts on the bottom of the mount, CNC ridges on the rest of it (I dunno how to describe it, I'll post pictures with that of the new mount though), then what did I get? I got a 7.2oz 30mm mount with some sexy looking "pockets", is what I got. That is not what I paid $300+ for. I paid the extra $100 for PERFECTION. Because it's not more solid, it's not lighter, and it isn't doing anything differently (2 cross-bolts, with clamps, with 1/2" nuts) than the products I could have for less.

This is why I was dissatisfied. Not because "Oh, it won't work". However, I was a bit leery that it might mark up the scope tube, should I ever wish to remove it, although that's not likely. For reference, my NF Unimount, I removed it once to re-position the scope once I torqued it down to 25 inch-lb (per instructions), and there was NOTHING amiss on the scope. I could have put it in the box and sold it as "Never mounted", and noone could have proven me wrong likely without at least a jeweler's eyepiece.

Anyway, that was my contention. Once you break the $300 mark, you need more than "Well, it works, yeah?" to sell a 30mm non-QD mount. I don't feel like I got anything more than "Well, it works, yeah?", and so I sent it back to the dealer, who has been an absolute pleasure to deal with (Weapon Outfitters).

So, give me a few days, let me post comparison photos, and then you tell me if you would pay the same for each mount.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine doesn't seem any different from the outer surface. Maybe it is a quirk of the 2099.

There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Mine doesn't seem any different from the outer surface. Maybe it is a quirk of the 2099.

I believe so, as well.
    Do you notice a lot of machining contours, etc. on yours, or is it smooth? Here, for example (now, I know this surface "doesn't matter", but it looks cheaply done. My Nightforce is absolutely smooth on this same radius. Much nicer machinework for $100 less. So where did my $$ go? Well, I think you're probably right, 2099 is a PITA):

Here is my Nightforce:

*The NF is used, and the shiny areas you see on the underside are where it interfaces with the rail, not from machining/milling/etc.

And the whole mount continued in this trend, which left me rather ripped-off feeling about that extra $100 when the Unimount is obviously much more meticulously machined than the "Super Precision" Geissele I had.

That is what I'm hacked about. Where did that $100 go? Why can't it be as well made as far cheaper mounts? I can't wait for its replacement. I think it is the 2099 personally, or I would not have ordered another in 7075.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My $99 Vortex mount was finished just as good as these mounts, yet it garnered more disdain for being a "cheap" mount than oohs and ahs. Just sayin'.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My $99 Vortex mount was finished just as good as these mounts, yet it garnered more disdain for being a "cheap" mount than oohs and ahs. Just sayin'.
    Both the Geissele and Nightforce are mil-spec items, and proven. I do not know about the Vortex mount. I do know that both the Geissele and NF are used in the real world, and I know that the NF is almost 2oz lighter, and has better machinework than the Geissele I got, by FAR. It also cost $100 less. These last 2 points, especially including the bearing surfaces of the rings (my main contention) are what led me to return the Geissele I had. I bought the Geissele because I thought it would be VERY precise, and I cannot get a mil-spec NF at the moment, so I took the 2oz hit, and ordered the Geissele. I am thinking this may well be a 2099 issue, and will report back when my 7075 comes in.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Real world? For real? So you want BTDT and PRETTY. Here you go:

That's beauty right there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Real world? For real? So you want BTDT and PRETTY. Here you go:

That's beauty right there.
    Agreed! And if a KAC mount had looked like my Geissele, their military sales director would have sent me an RMA immediately.
    Last edited by JGifford; 30 July 2016 at 15:50.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    Agreed! And if a KAC mount had looked like my Geissele, their military sales director would have sent me an RMA immediately.
    LOL... well played Mr. Gifford.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any recommendations for keeping my oh-so-snobby, fru-fru dust free?

I suggest liberal tears and the blood of my enemies, but if you have a spare unicorn wipe, send it on uprange.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any recommendations for keeping my oh-so-snobby, fru-fru dust free?

I suggest liberal tears and the blood of my enemies, but if you have a spare unicorn wipe, send it on uprange.
    No, but Geissele might be able to give you some whittling lessons to help pass the time until then.