Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The mount in the pic as the Geissele mount.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    The mount in the pic as the Geissele mount.
    If that's the cat in the bag, it's not persuading me that much so far.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Probably because you have issues.
    I've just been spoiled by the cleaner workmanship of my NF Unimount and Bobro's. I'm sure the mount was fully functional, but so is a PEPPR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviantLogic View Post
    If that's the cat in the bag, it's not persuading me that much so far.
    That's fine. It's not your money, or your mount. I just found chipped anodizing, and very evident milling marks inside the rings and elsewhere, to be a turn-off on a $350 mount when $250 mounts have none of those issues. YMMV, and everyone has their own expectations. My expectations were that for $350, I would get a mount that didn't have MIM clamps, chipped ano, rough machining, etc. When you charge $350 for a mount, and $250 mounts exist that are also functional, where does the extra money go? What is it spent for? In my case, I spent the extra money hoping for a superior product, that was made better. I do not feel that I got that. So I've returned it, un-used, and am buying something else, saving money, and getting better gear. Win/Win, and I learned something.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's unfortunate. My Geissele mount has no such markings, nor does it have MIM caps. Bill was very upfront about using investment casting for some parts, but not MIM. Also, the mount is align bored, so I wouldn't think it would show mill marks in the scope bore. Nonetheless, it seems his customer service is one of no questions asked, so find one that suits you and enjoy.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    That's unfortunate. My Geissele mount has no such markings, nor does it have MIM caps. Bill was very upfront about using investment casting for some parts, but not MIM. Also, the mount is align bored, so I wouldn't think it would show mill marks in the scope bore. Nonetheless, it seems his customer service is one of no questions asked, so find one that suits you and enjoy.
    Might well be investment cast clamps. The caps are not MIM, of course.

Geissele passed CS on to their dealer.

I do not know the particular name of the machine that made the marks in the ring ID's.

This was a 2099 AlLi mount. Maybe it's harder to machine than 7075, as the 7075 G mount that I had, had none of these marks, and looked very nice. I may well purchase another G mount, but it won't be 2099.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ordered another Geissele mount, this time 7075. I will see if it's the same as this one. If it is, I will presume that "This is typical Geissele quality", and sell it on the EE as NIB, and replace it with a Nightforce mount. If it is not rough like this last one, then I will happily keep it, and simply make a mental note that Geissele QA/QC is variable, and they prefer to let their dealers resolve issues instead of resolving them as a company. Neither of which is here nor there, as they were 100% polite and even cordial with me, but it is a datapoint I'll remember. Anyway, waiting on my 05-404 to show up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It only makes sense that they told you to return it to the place of purchase. If Geissele refunds you and accepts the return then they have to go to WO to get the original payment you made. That's a pain in the butt and a waste of time.

If, on the other hand, you asked for a replacement, then I'd expect them to swap you out directly, which is exactly what they have done for me on several occasions with triggers and rails, unless they were out of stock.

I'd hate to see what you would find wrong with a gun from LMT or Colt, who have pretty mediocre fit and finish despite making gear that simply performs.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    It only makes sense that they told you to return it to the place of purchase. If Geissele refunds you and accepts the return then they have to go to WO to get the original payment you made. That's a pain in the butt and a waste of time.

If, on the other hand, you asked for a replacement, then I'd expect them to swap you out directly, which is exactly what they have done for me on several occasions with triggers and rails, unless they were out of stock.

I'd hate to see what you would find wrong with a gun from LMT or Colt, who have pretty mediocre fit and finish despite making gear that simply performs.
    Got multiple Colt's that I've shot over the years. They work just fine. However, if I had bought a $2700 Noveske, and it had worse fit and finish than a Colt...that might be more applicable. We are not talking about the cheapest "quality" mount on the market. We are talking about a Super Precision mount. The most expensive non-QD mount made in America, of which I am aware. I didn't expect milling or CNC or whatever marks all over it, much less on the ID of the rings.

I believe Geissele was out of stock and didn't wish to deal with me. That's perfectly fine, they were perfectly polite. I am a bit surprised that they don't have an "extras" shelf like most manufacturers, though. However, it's a hot new product, and maybe they just don't.

Everyone makes mistakes, and a few slip out the door.

Downloads
    Uploads
    People make fun of me for being meticulous LOL (I know I know! HAAHAA) but this is why I generally stay away from some things high end. Don't get me wrong, I like nice stuff, but at some point the price goes from paying for function to paying for name brand. Finding that fine line is sometimes hard.

I will continue to scrutinize the stuff I buy for true value added to my shooting or enjoyment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    From your pictures the only machine marks that are noticeable to me are on the relief cuts where the rings come together, and don't touch the scope. They are irrelevant. I'm sure if you look at the outside in all the various cuts and cavities you'll find machine marks as well. It's the nature of machining. Tools leave patterns in the aluminum, and blending all the passes together is almost impossible. Some of it disappears during bead blast and anodizing, but not all.

I find their rails to have tons of machining marks and variations, so you better avoid those at all costs. :)
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow. Nitpicking to the extreme. LOL

My money is that's not even a machine mark per say but a action of deburring the jewelry saw cut when they remove the caps. Likely a Abtex type deburring system or something similar.

Looks just the cut edges of high end engine components with tolerences far beyond a scope mount. Specifically connecting rods.

The anodizing flaws would be an issue for me unless they were in concealed locations.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    People make fun of me for being meticulous LOL (I know I know! HAAHAA) but this is why I generally stay away from some things high end. Don't get me wrong, I like nice stuff, but at some point the price goes from paying for function to paying for name brand. Finding that fine line is sometimes hard.

I will continue to scrutinize the stuff I buy for true value added to my shooting or enjoyment.
    I don't expect much, so I'm rarely disappointed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Get a grip. You dealt with a reseller take your beef to them. That's standard business practice.
    Geissele sells direct, btw.

Downloads
    Uploads
    2090= near tool steel strength for Al weight. Tool steel shows marks. Why wouldn't this stuff?

If nothing else, it's extra clamping grip. Not being a Geissele apologist, but I've had nothing but great CS experiences with them.
    Last edited by Joelski; 29 July 2016 at 11:32.