Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

What knife do you carry?

I think every LEO and MIL troop I know carries a knife (or 6) on duty. I make ZERO claims of being a knife expert, but I'm interested in what you guys out there carry, and why. I guess the followup questions would be if you would by the same knife again, and do you carry it when you aren't in uniform?

For guys who carry a knife every day and aren't in uniform, what did you pick, and would you buy the same blade again?

I'll shoot some pictures of what I've been carrying (you can start laughing now), and I'll try to defend my choices.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Something I wrote elsewhere. One thing that's not part of this post is that I view knives as a tool first and weapon second. I've used (see the well-worn Striker below) work knives extensively, but I've only used a knife as a weapon twice, and one of those times it was a kitchen knife.

.................................................. ...................

I sold Benchmades years ago, and consequently own quite a few. I have several blade styles, sizes, etc. I also still think that Benchmade is just about the best value in the knife business, and with the number of different styles they make today I always start with them when I'm knife shopping and then go to the competition if Benchmade doesn't have something that will fill my needs, which is rare.

I have gotten away from any tanto or serrated blade styles. While I do think they can serve their purpose, I don't find that either is suitable for my use. Combine the two and you've got yourself an even less useful tool.

Let's look at the Griptilian with thumb stud as an example (even though I think the one with the thumbhole is a better tool)

Here's the basic Griptillian. Notice the full smooth cutting edge of the standard blade. The blade is 3.45" long and you essentially have the full length of the blade for cutting.

Now here's the same blade style, but partially serrated. Notice that the serrations take up at least 1/3 and more like 1/2 of the total cutting edge of the knife. Yes, the serrations still cut too, but depending on what you're cutting you may not want that jagged of a cut, and in my experience a sharp non-serrated blade will cut through things like zip-ties and packing straps, and even extension cords, without a problem.

And here's the tanto version. See how the sharp angle in the blade reduces the cutting edge even further? The longest uninterrupted cutting edge on the knife is now the serrated portion. If what you want is a serrated knife, buy a serrated knife, because buying this blade style is just about useless for any fine cutting.

One last suggestion, and I don't think this option exists in the mini-Griptilian models, but if you're going to be doing any cutting that involves plunging the knife into something, or if you're going to be using the full length of the blade for cutting, consider getting the thumbhole model. In my experience the thumb stud just gets in the way, and gets mucked up with whatever you're trying to cut in these situations.

If you're wondering where I come up with all this nonsense, it's from carrying and using a very early production Benchmade Striker as a daily work knife on a construction site. This knife was used to dig holes, cut insulation off of chilled water pipes, cut many a head off of a defective extension cord, and also open boxes, pull staples from plans, and even do a little paper cutting in the office. Notice the amount of finish wear as a testament to how well used this knife was. In the year that I used it I sent it back to Benchmade once for the lifesharp mostly because I kind of dinged the blade edge on the foremost cutting surface using the knife as a screwdriver.

and what's my current daily carry knife on the jobsite? The one below, based on all the lessons I learned trying to use the Striker as a work tool.

WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've carried a Benchmade CQC-7 (Emerson) for many years, which was ordered as a left-handed variant. It looks a bit worse for wear, but I haven't ever really had a need to replace it. I normally do carry it while in uniform, but frequently go without after-hours -- it really all depends where and what I'm doing. Although the CQC-7 is no longer a cataloged item for Benchmade (a near-identical version is available directly from Emerson), I would definitely buy it again.

My go-to-war blade (vest mounted) is a Model One Military Fighter by John Horrigan. Great piece of kit in every respect, and well worth the price of admission.

(John Horrigan photo)

I do value quality here, as elsewhere, but am not really a blade collector by any means, unless you count a few German knives that I've picked up over the years for hunting or military purposes.

AC
    Last edited by Army Chief; 14 March 2009 at 11:44.
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Deer hunting:Buck 119 or 110. Gutted about 20 deer between the two, still sharp. Sometimes carry my SOG FLASH II for casual carry. Light and quick to get to. Waiting on the OKC tanto bladed fts bayonet. So far all good pics in my opinion. In this day and age, as long as you pick a knife from any of the known quality brands you will be ok.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I carry a Kershaw 1570ST for my tool/utility knife. It's got a very good grip so it doesn't slip around in my pocket or my hand. It's a 3.5" blade, with spring assist so it opens easily when I need it. I also carry a Leatherman Ti with all kinds of goodies, which I carry on my utility belt. I just bought a KaBar TDI 1480 that's sole purpose is a second-chance weapon. I mount it on my belt so I can access it primarily with my non-gun hand, but it's still accessible to my gun hand if need be. This way if the bad guy is trying to get my gun, I can either go for my BUG or start shankin' him with my KaBar while keeping my gun hand on my gun (and the bad guys' hands) and hopefully in the holster. I read an article recently in which this method saved an officer's life in that very situation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am always changing what I carry, but I have been carrying the Spyderco Endura (#2 on the picture) for awhile now. I want a knife that I can rely on, but won't be heartbroken if I break a tip off of it. Ultimately it is a utility knife that I use to cut, pry, open, just about anything and everything with. The Endura has been a very good knife and I will most likely buy more Spyderco in the future.

The below picture is of a few of the knives that I have had over the years, most of the Gerber knives were the ones that I hauled around in the Army. I slashed my finger open with the Gerber Gator (#3) the first day I had it back in 1999. Only needed one stitch. #1 is my SOG Seal Pup, which I had attached to my vest while I was in Iraq. It is an extremely durable and reliable knife. I will always have it and I will pass it onto my son when he is old enough for it. The last knife (#6) is an Okari Knife made in South Africa. I know absolutely nothing about the make of the knife, however, I traded one of my Benchmade knives with an Iraqi PSD guy while I was in the box. I liked the design on the wood handle and figured that I could buy a Benchmade folder just about anywhere in the states. I have many other knives, most which I have no clue where they are now, except the two Ka-Bars that I have on my "Active Shooter" vest.

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are two more shots, just because...

Last edited by zero7one; 16 March 2009 at 20:24.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, I'll play. About 20 years ago I picked up my first Spyderco, I believe it was an Endura. I was intrigued by the design, especially the pocket clip and I began to carry it as a cop. A couple years later I lost it and replaced it with a Police model. Since then, I have gone through a few more similar folders. Some have been broken and more lost. I've carried one version or another virtually every day. I've gravitated toward moderately priced production folders with a pocket clip. I currently have Spyderco, Benchamde, Kershaw, Al Mar, Gerber, CRKT and a few others. The one I'm carrying on-duty right know is a discontinued Spyderco Wayne Goddard. It's been used for all kinds of cop work, from cutting seat-belts to scooping out dope to field test. It's been back to Spyderco twice for their excellent resharpening service, simply because I've abused it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On duty I carry a Kershaw Blackout (assisted half serrated) clipped to my vest.
    Off duty I carry a Benchmade Mini-Presidio auto (plain edge).

I have dozens of knives but those are the ones I use now. I have used (and liked) several other Benchmades, Spydercos, CRKTs, Kershaws and an Emerson that were all good also. I use the Kershaw for duty because its good enough to be useful but I have 3 of them and won't mind when I lose or break one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blackhawk crucible folder, its a "3.2 vg-10 plain blade. good steel. strong linerlock, and i like it because im able to securely grip the lower half of the knife and basicly make a 3.2" to a 5" blade.

or

Ontario RAT 1, 3.6" AUS-8 plain blade. cheap, we'll made, folds very smoothly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I usually carry a SOG Trident Tanto auto. Nice and sharp, holds an edge, and balances well in the hand. Well worth the coin.

Of course, I have a really nice Benchmade on standby, but I rarely take it out of it's box! Benchmade knives are top quality, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend 'em.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just started carrying this ZT 300 series knife. I'll report back after I have more time with it.

Downloads
    Uploads

folder

My Kershaw next to my Sig 228

My Fehrman knife for the Oh $h**

Downloads
    Uploads
    For EDC I carry
    1. SOG Visionary II because it's light with a small profile and is fast to deploy with the Axis lock.
    2. ZT 300 as pictured above if i'm using a backpack or MURSE.

For work I use a Blackhawk Hawkhook - it's a rescue style folding blade/tool. I am a corrections deputy at my county's jail and this is about as close to a true knife as I can get while on duty.

For my SHTF/TEOTWAWKI blade I went with the Chris Reeve's Pacific and partnered it with a Hayes Tomahawk.

redstars Guest
    I carry a Benchmade Infidel. One of the most comfortable knives i've owned.