Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

metal magazines?

so I have a gaggle of Magpul gen3's coming in, but I would also like some quality metal mags as well. Most of the ones I see in the usual websites don't look that good to me. What are considered the "best" metal mags, about how much are they, and where can I get them? Thanks in advance

Downloads
    Uploads
    All my "go to magazines" are metal mags. I've broken 5 or 6 PMags, Gen 1&2, not 3's though. Once the feed lips crack, your Magpul Mag is done and out of the fight. At least on a metal mag you can slightly bend them back until you get them working again. The chances of this or even getting into a gunfight with a rifle are slim, but I still prefer my metal mags.

As for Metals, I have a stockpile of NHMTG and D&H. Most people will tell you that the NHMTG mags are considered the best metal magazine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    PRI are the nicest I've used but not worth the money IMO. D&H or Okay have served me well. Just make sure they have the Magpul followers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the Okay mags. I think they're also sold under the "Surefeed" name as well now.

D&H are solid for the price, especially when you get them with the Magpul followers already installed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    All my "go to magazines" are metal mags. I've broken 5 or 6 PMags, Gen 1&2, not 3's though. Once the feed lips crack, your Magpul Mag is done and out of the fight. At least on a metal mag you can slightly bend them back until you get them working again. The chances of this or even getting into a gunfight with a rifle are slim, but I still prefer my metal mags.

As for Metals, I have a stockpile of NHMTG and D&H. Most people will tell you that the NHMTG mags are considered the best metal magazine.
    The NHMTG mags are said to be discontinued via 44mag
    Unfortunately NHMTG magazines have been discontinued by the manufacturer and as a result we will no longer be able to offer this popular item once current inventory is exhausted.
    http://www.44mag.com/product/nhmtg_m...ar15_magazines

Downloads
    Uploads
    NHMTG mags were made by Okay for decades. They basically changed the name to the surefeed for civilians. The real old ones were marked New Helvetia Mercantile Trade Group.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

I dunno. Magpul states that even with broken spines, the mags still work. So I put it to the test. I broke a PMAG. Split it down the back where the corner of the feed-lip is. I had to hold it togather, to keep the rounds in it. However, when I inserted it into the mag well, and locked it into place, it functioned 100%. Magpul says, basically, that if you can get it in the mag well, it's going to work, busted or not, and my experiment proved to me, that yeah, they will, unless you actually destroy the feeding surfaces of the lips themselves I guess.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    I dunno. Magpul states that even with broken spines, the mags still work. So I put it to the test. I broke a PMAG. Split it down the back where the corner of the feed-lip is. I had to hold it togather, to keep the rounds in it. However, when I inserted it into the mag well, and locked it into place, it functioned 100%. Magpul says, basically, that if you can get it in the mag well, it's going to work, busted or not, and my experiment proved to me, that yeah, they will, unless you actually destroy the feeding surfaces of the lips themselves I guess.
    Guess it depends on the mag. It didn't work for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will test these claims , please send all damaged mags to me , or bring to the expo in Aug

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like PMags for range use, especially since I collect and reload brass. Aluminum mag feed lips (Especially D&H that I've gotten from PSA) really carve up the brass. FWIW, if you're a reloader.

Otherwise, I've got a box full of Colt AR mags with green followers that have been running strong for a long time, along with Center Industries.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I noticed the same as 11b the metal mags seem to gouge/best up the brass worse(Also reload) but since I don't have squat for metal I mostly use Pmags and lancer mags

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have five of these ASC magazines after getting tired of a plastic Pmag falling out of my rifle. Mine are the stainless steel type. These are flawless.

http://www.ammosc.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 55grain View Post
    I have five of these ASC magazines after getting tired of a plastic Pmag falling out of my rifle. Mine are the stainless steel type. These are flawless.

http://www.ammosc.com/
    If you have Pmags falling out of your AR pattern rifle, there's a problem with the rifle or they're not property seated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think top quality polymer and metal mags are about equally reliable these days. For metal I trust mil suppliers - NHMTG, Okay, Colt and a couple others I forget. The D&H I use for range only as guys I trust on M4C say they have inferior welds. In polymer, Pmags and Lancers are my first choice. I've never had a problem with cheap Israeli mags, bit they feel thinner and less sturdy.

IMHO each type has different weak points. Polymers with the feed lips and metal with easier to dent bodies. I just picked up a dozen or so of what I like when on sale for a few years until I noticed I had about 150 stashed beyond what I regularly load.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    If you have Pmags falling out of your AR pattern rifle, there's a problem with the rifle or they're not property seated.
    Can you imagine how many people have told me this? It never happens with metal ASC magazines.