Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 55grain View Post
    Can you imagine how many people have told me this? It never happens with metal ASC magazines.
    Having you tried those PMAGs in other ARs to verify that it isn't just your rifle then?
    Find my photos on: Flickr, Facebook, Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can you imagine how many people have told me this? It never happens with metal ASC magazines.
    When you have the issue with the PMags, where is the top round located? Is it on the left or the right? If it's on the left, the issue isn't your magazine, it's probably too many rounds in the mag. Metal mags won't generally let you overload them, so the issue tends to happen less.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    When you have the issue with the PMags, where is the top round located? Is it on the left or the right? If it's on the left, the issue isn't your magazine, it's probably too many rounds in the mag. Metal mags won't generally let you overload them, so the issue tends to happen less.
    True. During classes we'll see people struggling to seat a mag or have one drop out of the mag well. They of course are sure they haven't overloaded the mags. Not saying this is the OPs issue, but it happens. Also, with some rifles, the over-insertion tab on M3 Pmags bottoms out early and makes seating hard. Typically not seen on Colt rifles, but some others with mag wells that are cut different.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, if it were my rifle, why wouldn't my five metal ASC magazines fail? If anyone wants this Pmag, give me an address and I'll mail it to you. To me it is of no value and I don't use it.

These are all ten round magazines. The top round is on the right.

To me there is no comparison between the Pmag and the ASC stainless steel USGI mags. All interaction, loading rounds, loading mags, the "click" when it is in place, all those things are sharper and crisper using metal. The ASC mags just feel like the way it should be. I have only used these two brands so this may not apply to aluminium or other stainless steel makes, i don't know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    These are all ten round magazines.
    Yuck. Sorry to hear that. Have you contacted Magpul? They have outstanding customer service.

I haven't run ASC mags, but was an early tester of C Product mags, which has a vague relation to ASC (much drama).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, if it were my rifle, why wouldn't my five metal ASC magazines fail? If anyone wants this Pmag, give me an address and I'll mail it to you. To me it is of no value and I don't use it.

These are all ten round magazines. The top round is on the right.

To me there is no comparison between the Pmag and the ASC stainless steel USGI mags. All interaction, loading rounds, loading mags, the "click" when it is in place, all those things are sharper and crisper using metal. The ASC mags just feel like the way it should be. I have only used these two brands so this may not apply to aluminium or other stainless steel makes, i don't know.
    Is this a factory 10 round mag or 10/20 or 10/30 mag? I don't have any experience with the factory 10 rounders, but the blocked PMags can be very finicky loading on a closed-bolt if the mag was blocked "correctly." It makes it so that there is no way to squeeze an 11th round in there, which can happen with some other blocking methods.

I'm guessing if this is a factory mag, Magpul has done something similar and made that 10th round so tight so it would "super-compliant." Out of curiosity, can you try seeing if you have the same issue loading on an open bolt as a closed bolt with this mag? If it stays in on an open bolt, then it's just the fit of rounds in that mag.

Also, are the ASC mags 30 rounders or 10 rounders?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is this a factory 10 round mag or 10/20 or 10/30 mag? I don't have any experience with the factory 10 rounders, but the blocked PMags can be very finicky loading on a closed-bolt if the mag was blocked "correctly." It makes it so that there is no way to squeeze an 11th round in there, which can happen with some other blocking methods.

I'm guessing if this is a factory mag, Magpul has done something similar and made that 10th round so tight so it would "super-compliant." Out of curiosity, can you try seeing if you have the same issue loading on an open bolt as a closed bolt with this mag? If it stays in on an open bolt, then it's just the fit of rounds in that mag.

Also, are the ASC mags 30 rounders or 10 rounders?
    This Magpul mag came with the rifle when I bought it. I bought it from a local gun shop in my town which I wanted to patronize. This was a ten round, ten rounder, not blocked or a 10/30 in any way. My understanding is the owner of the gunshop picked the Pmag to include with the rifle. He also sells the ASC mags which I have been buying from him. Honestly, I'm putting Magpul in the rear view mirror. I am done with plastic on my AR.

ASC makes only magazines and only metal ones. They do 10, 20, 30 rounders and a blocked 10/30 version. They have their own lubricating coating they put on and state of the art followers and springs. No, I do now work for ASC but I wish I did. They really make a first-rate American product.

This Pmag was falling out after loading and charging as well as after firing with the bolt locked back by the bolt catch. Sometimes if fell out as I was firing.

Funny, if I EVER mention Magpul or Aimpoint in posting ANYWHERE in the AR15 world, then that thread topic immediately shifts and is hijacked and a discussion begins about those two manufactures.

I would like to know more about metal USGI magazines both stainless steel and aluminium. I would like to know more about other makers of these products and reviews from those who have used them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, my experience with ASC has been pretty crappy, but glad yours is working for you. If you don't want to use PMags, it doesn't bother me, but what you describe is not normal and sounds like a bad mag, a mag release that needs to be adjusted, or a combination of both.

I have some D&H mags that I occasionally run that work well for metal mags as long as they stay clean, but I tend to stick to PMags because they're so resilient when they get dirty.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, my experience with ASC has been pretty crappy, but glad yours is working for you. If you don't want to use PMags, it doesn't bother me, but what you describe is not normal and sounds like a bad mag, a mag release that needs to be adjusted, or a combination of both.

I have some D&H mags that I occasionally run that work well for metal mags as long as they stay clean, but I tend to stick to PMags because they're so resilient when they get dirty.
    So it looks like these are aluminium and D&H supplies the military.

http://www.dh-tactical.com/product/a...s-ar-15m-4m-16

Looks impressive. How are aluminium mags working for you? Can you compare them to steel?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't, but I'm sure others here can. Like I said, they work well enough, but I find them to be a bit more finicky then PMags when it comes to feed (both up and down the mag). I do find them to go into the magwell faster than PMags because the outer dimensions are slightly less, but that really only comes into play if I'm shooting at a competition and I'm trying eek out the minimum reload time on a stage (usually if it's a dueling stage).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had occasional problems with both metal and pmags. But G.I. issued, especially the old 20 rd. mags have made me say more bad words than anything else... I would suggest to the OP if one bad magazine (if the mag is actually defective) is going to make for a 25 post discourse and rant on Pmags, I'd get out of the AR game, because my money is bet on the fact that if he or she shoots a lot, he or she is going to come across a metal mag that is a P.O.S., no matter who manufactures it. Mechanical things, no matter how simple, break. It's the nature of the beast.

That's why all of my mag's get a real function test before they go in the pile of "good to go" mags.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I've had occasional problems with both metal and pmags. But G.I. issued, especially the old 20 rd. mags have made me say more bad words than anything else... I would suggest to the OP if one bad magazine (if the mag is actually defective) is going to make for a 25 post discourse and rant on Pmags, I'd get out of the AR game, because my money is bet on the fact that if he or she shoots a lot, he or she is going to come across a metal mag that is a P.O.S., no matter who manufactures it. Mechanical things, no matter how simple, break. It's the nature of the beast.

That's why all of my mag's get a real function test before they go in the pile of "good to go" mags.

FT
    And once again, why do you want to make this thread about Pmags. Give me an address and i'll send you mine and we will both be happy. Meanwhile, talking about USGI mags is fine with me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    just as an update to this thread, I've bought some of the D&H from PSA, as well as some M3 PMAG's and some of the Lancer's with the metal feed lips. I think the Lancers are going to be my new favorite as they seem to be a great compromise between the quiet operation of the polymer mags along with the perceived extra strength of the metal feed lips. Everything I've read about them says they are good reliable mags too, so it doesn't seem to be much of a compromise. Not to mention, it's nice to have a clear mag that can be relied on, it appears Lancer got it right with whatever their polymer is made from. Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A mag is a mag under most circumstances. Failure of one isn't cause to declare all out genocide of the species. Almunium is light, but I don't think they're jumpable, so not all of the military even has the same needs. Steel mags won't work well with frequent salt water bathing, etc.. It's just another in a global mindset of right tool for the job/mission. For the average shooter, anything should work as long it's not been "manipulated" (read: f**ked with). In my humble observations, the higher speed/cool guys tend to use the simplest stuff available following the credo one tool, one job, success is ensured.

Moral of the story: run what you like, but your junk might be another man's treasure.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    ... because my money is bet on the fact that if he or she shoots a lot, he or she is going to come across a metal mag that is a P.O.S., no matter who manufactures it. Mechanical things, no matter how simple, break. It's the nature of the beast.
    True. Bad mags need to be rendered safe.

But back to steel mags. I have run HK, SA 80, CProducts and E-Lander and at the moment, don't find the need to buy any more of them. I spoke to ASC briefly a few years ago at SHOT and the samples looked well made, but I've not taken the time to test drive any of their mags. Perhaps I should. FWIW C Products Defense has a line that is similar to ASC.