Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Eva

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Yeah, Rainier's lower is ultra black, while the Bootleg upper and PWS buffer tube match the Aero receivers I have laying around. I've though about cerakote, but the lasering is so phenomenal and fine on the lower that I'm concerned some of the finer nuances (eyelashes, for instance) would be filled in.
    I guess that is to say, if anyone knows better, say something. I've never had anything cerakoted.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok gents, I need opinions. Not much performance debate here I don't think, it's pretty much all aesthetics.

The problem, my Eva lower, er, the engraved Rainer lower, is way WAY blacker than the Bootleg upper, so I've decided not to pair them. Instead she'll go on my 17" upper. Seems fitting, it's easily my most.... custom? I guess?... upper and the blacks are pretty close.

That free's up my Umbrella billet lower. The lines match up great with the Bootleg, but again the blacks are noticeably different, ALMOST to the degree of the Rainier lower. Nice lines, and I like the ADAC, but mismatched color.

Well... I have a third option. I have an Aero blem lower. Most Aero blem lowers I've seen I've hard time finding the blems on. Not so with this one. They're pretty obvious. Plus I added my own when I installed the bolt catch roll pin. Go figure. First time I've ever left a mar when building up a lower. Anyways, that lower is completely built up (along with an upper) that I intend to let go nearer to election. As fate would have it, that lower mates with the Bootleg upper as if God spoke to them and said "Thou shalt fit with divine perfection." The pins glide in as if buttered, there is only the tiniest ray of light between them when held up, and ONLY above the logo in front of the fence. Inserting a mag obviously closes that up. They have NO play. Push, pull, pry as I might, nothing happens. No wiggle. I'm not cheating with an accu-wedge either. Also the color is a dead match to the Bootleg upper.

I'm not normally so vane with my builds, and the Eva lower will still look slick and clean with my 17" upper. My question is do I use the Umbrella lower with the Bootleg? Or do I say fuck it and strip down the blem Aero, rebuild it with the parts I want for myself, and just accept the blems knowing it's gonna get beat up anyways. If I do that I'll have to order a new lower to build up and mate with the upper I'm gonna sell. Also puts my Umbrella in the safe with no immediate use in mind.

Thoughts? Opinions?
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    All these words about aesthetics and no pics to go with them??

When it comes to matching color, cerakote. Solid color cerakote is not expensive and will cover imperfections.

If all that's stopping you from using the Umbrella lower is the color, I'd go that route considering how you've laid out the plans to sell the complete Aero rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's dark out and my indoor lighting doesn't play well with the only camera I have... which happens to be installed inseparably from my phone.

I've thought cerakote, but to do a pair of receivers and a forend, it's actually cheaper to just buy a new forged lower. Actually what I was debating was Mad Black, which is basically a more hardcore MicroSlick that also happens to black.

The other thing, or really the PRIMARY thing is the fit. Seriously. I've never seen receivers fit like this, save for one set that had been lapped. The pragmatasist in me has accepted the Aero as functionally superior due to this. I mean sure, the Umbrella has better lines and ADAC... and I like the ADAC, but I also spent the last day and a half playing with a rifle with a BAD lever, which has left me wondering why I ever took mine off. I still have them.

Pics to come tomorrow.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads

Project Eva

If you coat it, go bold! I hear you on pricing but in a conversation on aesthetics, the difference isn't much in the scheme of things.

How tight a fit between receivers is necessary to matter?

But it sounds like you're talking yourself into the Aero. If so, coat it anyway. Grey is the new black. Then build a new upper for the umbrella once you sell the other rifle.

Yesterday with sniper grey:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    If you coat it, go bold! I hear you on pricing but in a conversation on aesthetics, the difference isn't much in the scheme of things.

How tight a fit between receivers is necessary to matter?

But it sounds like you're talking yourself into the Aero. If so, coat it anyway. Grey is the new black. Then build a new upper for the umbrella once you sell the other rifle.

Yesterday with sniper grey:
    Now that is sick

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the Aero and Bootleg are that close of a match, I would definitely go with that and not Cerakote. The Bootleg is so busy that I wouldn't pair it with a busy billet lower. I would save the Umbrella till their billet uppers are released, or till you could get one of their forged uppers. I would try to keep that rifle as much Umbrella as you can.

Also if you use a BAD style lever a Phase 5's lines may go really well with that Bootleg upper. I've used the Phase 5 ones before and have been very pleased with them.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I get stuff Cerakoted only because my local guy does it for free for me. The reason I wouldn't Cerakote is that it cost more in most cases than a tax stamp. And what's cooler, pretty colors or stamps?
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    If the Aero and Bootleg are that close of a match, I would definitely go with that and not Cerakote. The Bootleg is so busy that I wouldn't pair it with a busy billet lower. I would save the Umbrella till their billet uppers are released, or till you could get one of their forged uppers. I would try to keep that rifle as much Umbrella as you can.

Also if you use a BAD style lever a Phase 5's lines may go really well with that Bootleg upper. I've used the Phase 5 ones before and have been very pleased with them.
    I'm kinda leaning this way. I've got the matching PWS lower on order, but it'll be at least another 8 months before I see it. I'm half thinking about just letting the Bootleg sit until then, and getting a different, MATCHED set of receivers to finish out this build. No idea which receivers though. Honestly, I really just have no idea what I'm doing at this point.

I get stuff Cerakoted only because my local guy does it for free for me. The reason I wouldn't Cerakote is that it cost more in most cases than a tax stamp. And what's cooler, pretty colors or stamps?
    Sage wisdom.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never thought of it that way!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    And what's cooler, pretty colors or stamps?
    Both is coolest.

I believe a built rifle is made to keep for the mission you intend. Build it the way you want for that mission, stamped or colored or not. $200 rarely seems to be an obstacle for many on WEVO and penny pinching isn't the profile for Rainier customers.

Aragorn, Rainier just added a PWS 14.5 upper to their inventory. Maybe that's the way to go and sell the bootleg upper you have.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Both is coolest.

I believe a built rifle is made to keep for the mission you intend. Build it the way you want for that mission, stamped or colored or not. $200 rarely seems to be an obstacle for many on WEVO and penny pinching isn't the profile for Rainier customers.

Aragorn, Rainier just added a PWS 14.5 upper to their inventory. Maybe that's the way to go and sell the bootleg upper you have.
    AIM has had the 16" (which I'd prefer, as my scope is BDC for 16" shooting M193) for awhile. I'd love to jump but I can't drop the cash. If so I'd have had one, or an SR-15, some time ago. Only way I can afford to have nice rifles is to buy them a piece at a time.

An AXTS lower I think would be sweet with the Bootleg, but I think I'd have better luck finding pigs at 20,000ft than an AXTS lower. Plus, didn't they go for something like 350$? Don't have that much lying around at this particular moment either. Also wouldn't be surprised if it's black wasn't closer to the Rainier or Umbrella's than the Bootleg.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads

Project Eva

I hear you on piecing together. Though I know that it's often a wash compared to a nice factory rifle once everything is paid for.

The newer AXTS lower is cerakoted, even the black ones. :)

I think the old AXTS lowers were only anodized (mine is now pretty colors) but go for $750+ in the aftermarket. I originally bought mine for $400.

Of my lowers, the AXTS is the best match to the bootleg. The VSeven billet is a good match too because the cut lines in the design compliment each other. The San Tan lower lacks the left side pillar just like the Bootleg but the right side lines are a little off. Forged lowers just don't seem to look right with the bootleg. Too much old mixed with new for my preference.

Mine is mated to a Night rail and pairs with one of the lowers mentioned above.

Not sure if any of this helps.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Both is coolest.

You must think that all WEVO members are UW and Sinner. I personally don't do any missions, I'm civilian as they come. A lot of Cerakote jobs for a complete rifle an run around $400, that's 2 stamps or half a decent suppressor. Pretty rifles are cool, but some of us have to pick and choose. I personally only keep a couple of AR's on hand, not counting my family heirlooms and handguns. For someone like me I would not spend the extra cash to Cerakote, I would rather buy a 1,000 rounds. Ammo is always my favorite, and yes I am a Rainier customer.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not trying to pick a bone. And I completely understand your point. I'm civilian too but all firearms I have are purpose specific. Our budgets dictate priorities. I mention RA because those who shop their are aware of quality and willing to pay for it. I don't see a lot of bushmasters peddled here or there.

The OP didn't add cost in his criteria for this build. If he said "paint is out of budget," I wouldn't have mentioned it. A $400 paint job is fully custom camo treatment. A solid color can be had for much less.

The thread's topic is about the OP's priorities, which is basing this build around "happy, reliability and aesthetics" rather than cost. Paint is about all three, though more the first and the last and some of the middle.