Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I think the only way you are getting a spare barrel, barrel assembly, handguard, or bolt carrier group components is if you have a warranty claim or buy an entire upper assembly. I have seen lower assemblies for sale, though, which is a move in the right direction, as well as 8" and 16" upper assemblies. The mags seem pretty easy to obtain, finally (of course, a $55 street price helps with that!). It seems Sig is pretty busy keeping up with demand for full weapons right now, especially with election season upon us. I am fairly confident parts availability will come, but I bet it will take a year or two.
    Yup. I don't think there's anything to worry about. Like you said, give it a year or two, and you'll see availability. Right now they're just trying to keep up with factory orders as it seems like every MPX they make is sold.

I don't think I'm going to do anything to my MPX. It's a factory SBR with the 8" barrel and will probably just get an Aimpoint T2.

I may look at getting the 4.5" barrel down the road when availability allows it, but knowing me, I'll probably just get another MPX SBR with the 4.5" barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Truth. 2k is amateur hour.

I'm looking for Tommy to build me a G36C for $4500 ish later this year.
    That's some next-level stuff right there. Isn't that price in addition to the donor SL8?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Same guy takes an SL8 and hands you back a fully functional XM-8, right? Lots of fabricating, but it ain't no plastic fantastic.

Want one of those real bad.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Truth. 2k is amateur hour.

I'm looking for Tommy to build me a G36C for $4500 ish later this year.
    It may be amateur hour but that's fine by me. I am after all an amateur. While there may be some guns that justify those $5000 price tags the truth is most don't and never will.

I'm not trying to keep up with the Joneses nor am I trying to cheap out. I am trying to come up with the right gun and right platform for me. So far I've built two AR's and I am glad that I took the time to build what I wanted.

There are pros and cons to all this stuff and I am trying to figure out what those are. If Warren Buffett was my dad I wouldn't be having the conversation nearly as much. But even then 'justification' of why one is better than the other is helpful to me learning, but then I get to decide if it's something that I will enjoy.

Once I make a decision to roll with something I will roll with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Get dafuq out of here with that common sense shit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    LOL truth!

Amateur hour!

Downloads
    Uploads
    300 first, then the 9. Mine is the funnest gun I've ever owned. The initial investment is a barrel and ammo; don't like it, you're out a barrel: sell it and move on. The 9 is the easy part for me; I'll eventually get a Scorpion pistol and SBR it; done!

Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL truth!

Amateur hour!
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Don't you know it!

Amateur and proud of it! LOL

On that note what makes that H&K so damned expensive or twice as good as a pretty damned good AR that you could get, build or buy for half that price?

I've shot a $30,000 dollar MP5 and thing was beautiful by all means. But to me most of the price was in the happy fun switch on the thing

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    300 first, then the 9. Mine is the funnest gun I've ever owned. The initial investment is a barrel and ammo; don't like it, you're out a barrel: sell it and move on. The 9 is the easy part for me; I'll eventually get a Scorpion pistol and SBR it; done!
    I do have to face it that I probably will wind up with a 300 BLK at some point but I have already decided that I am not going down that road until I invest in a .30 cal suppressor. I have a number of things I would love to have and that are on my list or in progress (just waiting on funds)....

On the 9mm side I can shoot like hell for pretty damn cheap so that will provide me a lot more fun in the 'right now' category.

All that said I keep on going back and forth on the direction of 9mm... I don't really like the look of the guns with those fugly stick mags, but I am sure I could learn to like it. And the fact that I have way more choices (and growing) of things I could customize it with is appealing and I might be able to get it all done at a slightly better price tag even though I don't plan to use crappy components.

The MPX has it's set or pro's too so who knows what I will do.

First thing first I need to increase my cash holdings

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the biggest things attracting me to 9mm is that for $1000 bucks worth of ammo I can have a lot of fun.

I need to feed these things somehow... and all things considered having a bad ass gun but can't afford the ammo... no bueno.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Don't you know it!

Amateur and proud of it! LOL

On that note what makes that H&K so damned expensive or twice as good as a pretty damned good AR that you could get, build or buy for half that price?

I've shot a $30,000 dollar MP5 and thing was beautiful by all means. But to me most of the price was in the happy fun switch on the thing
    No, it's not twice a good as an AR.

It's all about perceived value. Here's my example. I've always wanted an HK MP5, an A3/A5 and K Model. Who didn't after watching Die Hard? However, I couldn't get my hands on one because of the lack of SBR's in my state since 1994.

Now that we can have SBR's again, I've revisited my MP5 want as I've had the opportunity to shoot our department MP5's over the years. I'm not a true HK fan though. Some guys spend thousands on the real deal. I'm ok with saving a little money by going the clone route. I've got an MKE on a Form 4 waiting, and I just ordered an Omega K from Atlantic Arms that I'll Form 1. My UMP conversion should be approved any week now. The problem with HK is the high prices like you mentioned. The German Govt won't allow certain exports, so the best you can do with them are conversions like the USC to UMP conversion, SL8 to G36 conversion and so on. This takes a lot of expensive parts and some skill for the guy doing the work, so they charge a premium.

The G36C project to me would be fun, but is it worth the $4500 plus the cost of the host? Not for most, and maybe in the end not for me. I budgeted some money for an end of the year LMT MWS and a Nightforce ATACR, so it's either that or go with the G36C. I guess I'll see how I feel after I get my other SBR stamps in.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That makes me wonder even more about H&K. Is it really the government preventing their exports or is H&K complicit in it so that they can relegate themselves into high end market? If H&K were in every other gun shop they would have to compete heads up. The second question comes up when you mention 'our department's MP5's'... The question there is why doesn't a US manufacturer design and build lighter, faster, and better submachine guns to compete?

Seems like the Scorpion and the MPX line are the only two out there even in the same category. Could it be that even in LE circles full auto guns are frowned upon? I was walking around Istanbul and there were so many H&K full auto it wasn't even funny whereas in the States there was plenty of cops and firearms but not so much full auto walking around. From what I can tell the full auto in the US isn't allowed as much for regular on the beat cops whereas like in Turkey there would be a guy directing traffic with machine gun hanging around.

Basically I wonder why more manufacturers don't try to get into the sub gun arena?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    One of the biggest things attracting me to 9mm is that for $1000 bucks worth of ammo I can have a lot of fun.

I need to feed these things somehow... and all things considered having a bad ass gun but can't afford the ammo... no bueno.

Thought you were reloading now?

Drops 300 ammo cost WAY down and can make 9mm for really cheap..

Stop over thinking and just get both..lol..

Downloads
    Uploads
    "You never go full retard". Auto for cops is a shock and awe tactic intended to demoralize the threat. If you get the bad guy just say fuggit, and give up, or self terminate... less work and risk. What-if scenarios are expensive though, so fewer are messing with it.

What blows my mind is some depts have their cans welded on. WTF does that to expensive gear??? Right UW?

Downloads
    Uploads
    In the US, you actually have to have a ton of documented and on going Full Auto training if your department wants to deal with the liability of fielding F/A guns. We don't use the spray n pray method other countries do. How much investigating and liability do you think those cops in Turkey have if they accidentally shoot someone on F/A that wasn't the intended target?

F/A is generally not needed in a civilian police force. 5.56 also as better ballistics than 9mm, better for indoor shooting as well as 5.56 doesn't over penetrate. 9mm sub guns are fun, but inferior as a platform IMHO.

As for welded cans... I can't believe that's even a thing. Even before we had no-SBR's here, I never even considered welding on a can. That's just a bad idea. I wonder if that's why AAC ultimately did not go forward with the Ranger 3.