Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really like my FNX-Tac. They should have made one in a 9mm too. I have never owned a Glock. I really like my modified XD-S, but I will probably trade it in on a Glock in the not too distant future. Mainly because of holster options. But I am buying into the 9mm/45 debate. Birthday coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    I favor a couple of different pistols. Originally I carried a S&W 559 (yeah, I'm that old), but it's big and heavy and hard to settle in concealed carry. I like my Taurus PT140 for casual carry, but it's not an ideal choice for a bunch of reasons.

I'm getting a very nice vibe from S&W's Compact M&P in .40. It's about the same size as the PT140, but there seems to be a lot better selection of holsters and such for it. And of course there aren't any safety issues with the S&W...

I've never managed to find a comfortable way to conceal my 1911 in a way that lets me sit down...which makes me sad. And I'm not a small guy.

I'm looking for a non-concealed rig for my G23, but I'm also saving my pennies for a G43.

My best friend has a couple of Kahrs. Never a lick of trouble (except the start up cost of course).

So my preferred handgun of choice is "it depends," but I have a pretty big selection to choose from.
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Glock Certified Armorer
    AR15 Certified Armorer
    M1911 Certified Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    NBCOT Certified OTR

Downloads
    Uploads
    S&W M&P.

I want to like Glock. I just don't. Not a stock grip anyway.
    I did get to play with a G19 with a Boresite reduction and modified grip angle and loved it. I am not going to spend that much money on several carry guns though. I'm too invested with M&Ps at this point.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't own one yet but I got to play with a Canik tp9 and really liked it. The grip feels smaller than a Glocks, and the construction quality is excellent. The trigger is great, and the reset is almost as short as my Legion. I would upgrade the sights. The Canik is a great gun not even considering it's price, and at about $350 it's a steal.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    The gun I like is the best, and everyone else's suck, unless, of course it's the same as I like! Actually, if this were any other forum besides WEVO, the insults, elbows, spit and blood would already be flying. Want to really start a shit storm, go to a Harley forum and ask "what's the best brand of oil"?. But this is a much more civil forum and you can ask these kinds of questions.

For years, at least since 1975, my favorite "everything" gun was the 1911 and IMO nothing else mattered. When I saw the first Glock, outside of a magazine, it was at a private gun club in CA. A guy was generous enough to let me shoot a mag of ammo through his G17. My thoughts were "WTF", and it was quite a few years before I tried one again. Other than that, new guns started to flood the markets. The 1911 struggled to keep it's head above water, and today I know very few people that actually want or carry one.

I've got a couple of very nice custom house 1911's, and today still want to thumb that safety down when I draw a pistol, the result of thousands of practice draws, and actual rounds down the pipe.

Fast forward, I got tired of carrying a 2K 1911 in a $300 holster through a creek, fishing for trout, etc., and stepping in a 2 foot hole that turned out to be a six foot hole. Or sliding down a muddy bank, out in the woods, into said creek.

I flushed out my head and started re-evaluating my handgun needs. Glocks, too big for my hands and I don't like the compacts, but I've got a 19 and a 23, which a friend did some beautiful under cuts on the trigger guards, have custom stippled palm grips, which I use (small), and some other handy mods. Like them very well, and if they get scratched to hell, then who cares.

I've also sort of gotten back into the thumb safety days, especially with my M&P's. I have the FS 9mm, FS 40mm, and FS .45, all with Apex FSS triggers, which are a bit lighter than I like, slightly under 3lbs. The 9mm has a thumb safety, and having the .45 converted back to thumb.

A retired Marine firearms instructor, who now travels and trains corporate types in small arm self-defense told me that in his opinion, less than 30 percent of folks who have no external safety's, such as Glock, will ever reach the proficiency level to have a self-defense weapon with just a trigger safety and most have no business carrying them. Including LEO's and other "trained" shooters. Don't drop the flames here, that was him talking not me, but I do believe there is a bit of truth in there somewhere.

So my choice of handguns are not necessarily the best of the bunch, but what I'm comfortable with, and mostly what fits me well. I tried to buy a NIB Sig SAO Legion NIB for an unreal deal, but couldn't get to the seller before someone else did. I'd like have a SIG, if everyone of them didn't feel like they were built to fit guy's with baseball glove sized hands.

Bottom line, high dollar guns, for the sake of having one, doesn't mean much to me anymore. I have several in a safe, collecting dust. My M&P's, and Glock 19 and 23 serve me well. I live in an open carry state, so I don't have to drive all day with a gun poking me in the side, or opting for a compact. I'm pretty free to choose holster types, and carry modes, I think those are important to many of the members here who live in more restrictive states. Especially LEO's and such who carry all day long, all hours of the day.

Lastly, if 20 or 30 year ago, if you would asked if I'd even consider carrying a "plastic" gun, much LESS ONE in 9MM, I would have looked at you like you had a third eye in your forehead. But times, guns, equipment and especially ammo has changed, and so have I. And if I live long enough, if things evolve, I may stay where I am or change with the times.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 10 October 2016 at 11:32.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    FT if you get a chance try the Canik, I think you will like it. The grip feels thinner like a 1911, and the trigger reach is also comparable.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    FT if you get a chance try the Canik, I think you will like it. The grip feels thinner like a 1911, and the trigger reach is also comparable.
    I'll have to settle with a website "test" of one. I haven't seen one. We have 3 gun stores here, and they pretty much stick with the "meat and potato" guns. Glocks to M&P's to SIG's, Kahrs, etc.

FT.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    A friend bought a Canik early on. Other than the top decocker, it's a nice shooting gun. Decent trigger too.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glock needs an all metal frame Glock 17...just because

I enjoy a finely tuned 1911, but those usually cost a lot of coin. Golden age of 1911's though. Plenty of great 1911 smiths out there. I just like Glocks for their simplicity and the fact they run right out of the box for $400.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Glock needs an all metal frame Glock 17...just because

I enjoy a finely tuned 1911, but those usually cost a lot of coin. Golden age of 1911's though. Plenty of great 1911 smiths out there. I just like Glocks for their simplicity and the fact they run right out of the box for $400.
    That all metal Glock 17 should have an ambi thumb and a grip safety also, and of course a SA Trigger and custom gunsmith trigger job. But other than that, it should just be a Glock.

All kidding aside, If you really want a Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson Combat custom house, or what ever, they are all over the place at half or less than their original cost. I have a Colt Delta Elite, that I sent to WC for an "everything" treatment, that I couldn't sell for half what it cost me, even though it's difficult to find any signs of use. Kimbers are a dime a dozen, and just the odd one off customs by one of the custom or expert gunsmiths are going for next to nothing, at least in our market.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 10 October 2016 at 11:52.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Les Baer Jackoff 9,000 FTW!!!

UW: other than having something else to work on and fine tune, boat anchors make a better sidearm in salty climes.

There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    So my choice of handguns are not necessarily the best of the bunch, but what I'm comfortable with, and mostly what fits me well. I tried to buy a NIB Sig SAO Legion NIB for an unreal deal, but couldn't get to the seller before someone else did. I'd like have a SIG, if everyone of them didn't feel like they were built to fit guy's with baseball glove sized hands.

FT
    FT, have you considered growing larger hands?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by din View Post
    FT, have you considered growing larger hands?
    Yeah, I started to once, but then I figured I'd have to buy all new gloves, so I said to hell with it.....
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey he needs those small hands to manipulate small ... objects!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    Hey he needs those small hands to manipulate small ... objects!
    ha..ha... you're a funny guy, I'm going to kill you last!
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger