Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barrel nut help

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post

I just saw this but, if you are still having issues please call. We will do whatever we can to help.

Apropos to nothing (except torque), what torque setting do you recommend for the screws that secure the GFY handguard to the barrel nut, and which version of Loctite do you recommend for this application?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    I just saw this but, if you are still having issues please call. We will do whatever we can to help.
    I don't own any of your products yet, but the fact that you're here speaks volumes and puts you on my short list.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I see pictures of SMOS rails that are not flush with the receiver, there is some empty space between the two. It can be to an SMOS upper or otherwise. I dont see it in all builds, but enough to be a concern to an ocd person. Is this something that I should expect if I purchase a GFY rail? Picture below shows white space im talking about.

Name:  slide1.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  44.0 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    ^^^Perhaps a result of shims being used to properly time the nut?

That'd be my guess.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    The "gap" is always going to be a possible issue with timed barrel nuts and shims.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont think ive ever seen a Noveske NSR with this issue and its almost the same design. With that being said I think the SMOS GFY looks better then the Noveske Mlok. From the options posted in reply #10 of this thread. There is no mention of shaving down the barrel nut to get it to grab closer to the receiver. Or is this a no no. Most likely I will have a gunsmith put my upper together as I dont have some tools to complete the process. Just thinking ahead in case I have to live with the gap. Maybe ill think about it like a thigh gap and all we be well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by inthegame View Post
    There is no mention of shaving down the barrel nut to get it to grab closer to the receiver. Or is this a no no.

Go back to post #7 in this thread.... :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have gaps on mine and I haven't used a shim yet. I think it's that way by design. I'm curious if someone has a pic of it NOT having a small gap. I'm OCD and the gap doesn't bother me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The barrel nut bottoms on the barrel extension, not the receiver. If you have the capacity to clearance the shoulder inside the barrel nut, you also very likely have the intelligence to figure out it is the worst solution possible when you can remove material from the exposed face of the receiver with 1/10 of the effort. For that matter it would even be easier to remove a few hundredths off the barrel extension flange than the inside face of the nut.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll just leave it to the pros once I get to that point. I am outside of my scope of knowledge and experience

Downloads
    Uploads
    By the way...Like I said, a shim was used on mine.

No Gap!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a question, since you're here...would you mind sharing where you get your aluminum from, SMOS? Mainly, which country sourcers/certs it?