OK... here's the deal...

I am partially through a high end 10/22 build. When I started I wanted everything on the rifle (at least all the guts and trigger and bolt, and barrel, and whatever) to match and be from the same manufacturer. Kidd Custom is the stuff I'm after. I wanted the entire gun to be blacked out but here's my dilemma. Supposedly Kidd isn't going to make any more black bolts for a 10/22. I finally called and talked to someone and they said 'no we don't have them, and no we won't have them...and definitely not this year' and gave no ETA at all.

My understanding is the people that used to finish their black bolts for them no longer are in business or whatever so they are trying to find a good high end replacement.

It sounds like having them offer a black 10/22 bolt is off the table for who knows how long.

I have couple of options though... I could change up or compromise what I am after.

I could use another brand possibly but the milling and specs for Kidd vs others is night and day. Basically what Kidd does is mills their bolts with perfect tolerances for their recievers...they also true up every surface and do it with the precision of a jeweler...

Here is basically what you get with a standard Ruger bolt...

Name:  P1030786b_zps7ad4b127.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  90.1 KB

And here is what you get with a Kidd bolt

Name:  black-silver-bolt-001.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  92.4 KB

All the surfaces are trued and polished and they are milled and machined to go together with the reciever the bolt and the barrel and all the internals of it are better too.

Basically put if I buy a matte silver 10/22 bolt what would the odds be of having someone be able to treat it so that it comes out like a good nitride AR BCG?

Their website says it's "CNC Machined steel from billet" but it doesn't say what kind of steel so I don't even know if it would be a feasible operation to get a good black finish on it.

Anyone with a manufacturing background have any idea about this type of thing?