Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Range Report: Revolution 9 on a 10/22

I recently bought a .22 cal end cap a fixed barrel spacer, and a fixed mount for my revolution 9 pistol suppressor. In fact those parts just arrived today and I've been eager to try it out.

Here is some discoveries so far:
    =======
    Regarding ammo I tried several different kinds but in the .22LR world it seems like there are a few different approaches that make a HUGE difference.

Ammo 1 was sheerly a light bullet and maybe a little bit of extra priming compound and no powder. Yes this is subsonic and very quiet but it will not cycle the rifle. I didn't like that idea at all so I just stayed away from it. I doubt I will even test it.

Ammo 2 was a standard 40 grain bullet where someone at the factory decided they would just back off the charge a little bit. Yes it is subsonic and EXTREMELY quiet. I mean pellet gun quiet. I could hear dirt impacts 100 yards away. I experienced a lot of stuck cases though. Out of two 10 round mags I had 4 or 5 stuck cases. It would not cycle the gun at all and in some cases would half cycle and cause a few minor issues. I don't recommend this type of ammo at all.

Ammo 3 was a heavier grain bullet. 45 grains and loaded up like a regular round (I guess). I tried two different brands both marked 'suppressor' and they functioned flawlessly. As quick as I could hit the trigger it was cycling and spitting out brass. Someone in the ammo world finally made a proper round that checks all the boxes.

The last ammo was slightly (and I mean SLIGHTLY) louder than the previous but the trade off is that you can shoot it freely without hassles. My guess is the increased pressure slightly bumped up the sound signature. That said the difference was noticeable but not a big deal especially considering what you gain.

=====

As for the suppressor it was in a word... awesome. Since Silencer Shop didn't formally test the Revolution 9 on a .22LR I don't know the specific numbers but they did do a test on the optimus (which would be similar performance I would imagine).

The Optimus tested on a 10/22 out at 117 DB*
    *(this test was done at equivalent of the K configuration or short version of the suppressor whereas I shot mine full length-- if it matters which I think it would)
    The Griffin Checkmate QD (the new monocore one) tested at 115 DB
    By comparison the Gemtech Mist tested at 112 DB

Anyway by any comparison they are all right there pretty close to each other when it comes to shooting on a rifle. I will test later on with the 9mm end cap and see if that makes any noticeable difference. My hunch is that it will because it traps the gasses in the can for a bit longer. At least that's my prediction.

The only real trade off I can see is that the Revolution 9 is 1.35 inches in diameter and the Checkmate QD is 1" in diameter. The Revolution 9 in full size configuration is 7.6" whereas the Checkmate QD is 5.95". Being perfectly honest unless you're shooting iron sights the bigger diameter MIGHT get in the way some. Length wise it is 1.65" longer in the full configuration. However in the K (short) configuration the length difference is only .15 inches.

I will do some more shooting later on with the 9mm cap and see if my theory is correct and I will shoot it in the K configuration and see if it makes any difference as well.

=====

Overall my impressions are not just good... they are great. I think that can will see a lot of .22 action as well as lot of 9mm too. The only real accessory I have left to get is the 3 lug set up (and a 9mm SBR of some sort)

All this said on a .22 pistol I think the differences would be more, however based on Silencer Shop's numbers the Optimus (again only a reference point) comes out at 122 DB on a .22 pistol whereas the QD comes out at 119ish DB. But I think the size and weight would make a bigger difference on a pistol than on a rifle.

In either case we are talking that they are within just a few DB of each other in real world testing.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 15 September 2016 at 22:12.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One other thing to note... the weight difference...

The Griffin Revolution 9 is 11.2 oz in full config and 9.7 oz in short. With a fixed mount you save about 1 oz off of that.

By comparison the QD .22 can is only 5.3 oz.

So basically we are talking about around 1/2 the weight. That part on a pistol would be a big deal I think. On a rifle it's not that bad.

Since I don't have fancy sound measuring machines I have no way to know if going from the full size to the K configuration would be a difference maker but my hunch is that in the full size configuration as I am using it I am right in there around 115 DB or so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A couple of other notes is I think that Silencer Shop uses 40 grain subs in their .22 tests (ammo 2 mentioned above).

If that kind of ammo is being used I think the firearms need to be tuned to run that kind of ammo.

With "ammo 3" I could run my rifle unaltered and go supers to subs without changing a thing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for this. It never hit the frontal lobe that I could use my Rev9 on a .22! I wonder what the threads are on my M&P 15-22 and if an adapter is out there.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    Thanks for this. It never hit the frontal lobe that I could use my Rev9 on a .22! I wonder what the threads are on my M&P 15-22 and if an adapter is out there.
    I just googled your gun and it's 1/2x28.

It would work just fine. That's the same thread I have on my .22.

Give it a go man! You won't be disappointed.

This is where I got my stuff...

https://54-17arms.com/

The .22 end cap and a fixed mount and you're in business.

One of these:

https://54-17arms.com/shop/accessori...n-fixed-mount/

and one of these:

https://54-17arms.com/shop/accessori...ution-end-cap/

I also bought the fixed barrel spacer but it's not needed for this application. You can do either or. I have no idea why they have both options but with the fixed barrel spacer you just remove the booster spring and put that spacer in it's place and that's it. Personally I like the fixed mount better.

As for using the suppressor on a .22 you will be more than pleased. I would also recommend some of the .22 ammo marked 'suppressor'....

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want to get all fancy you can get the three lug and put a 3 lug on your barrel and 3 lug it. I am direct threading mine and it works great.

But performance wise, like I pointed out, it's right up there in the ball park with many (or better than) most dedicated .22 cans even in the K configuration. Shooting with the full configuration it was QUIET. I will try it K config later on....but you have options.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As pointed out you don't really need to use the fixed spacer if you are shooting 22.

Griffin is also coming out with some "wipes" that will fit existing Revolution and Resistance silencers. It will drop the sound down even more. With 22 they probably won't ever wear out.
    Silencer Shop
    Stocking distributor for AAC, Bowers, Gemtech, Griffin Armament, Knight's, Rugged, SIG, SureFire, Tactical Solutions,Thunder Beast, YHM
    www.silencershop.com
    512-931-4556

Downloads
    Uploads
    The concept of "wipes".. not sure how that works or what it is. Got a link that shows what"wipes' are in general?

Just with it set up like I have its very quiet. If it's even more quiet that's just crazy talk.

Btw do you think my estimate of about 115 db in full configuration is about right?

Also have you done testing to see if the end caps make a difference and if so how much?

Downloads
    Uploads
    What was ammo 1? 29gr something?

CCI Standard Velocity 1070fps and CCI Subsonic LHP 1050fps are the best performers in my guns. American eagle suppressor ammo, 45gr copper washed ammo works well but not as precise.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Basically it is a rubber washer that goes at the end of the silencer and seal up after the shot. So it traps more of the gas and makes it quieter. I would bet money that with the wipe and end cap it would be under 112 dB on a bolt gun.

Right now I think it is around 115-117. We haven't tested the new end cap yet.
    Silencer Shop
    Stocking distributor for AAC, Bowers, Gemtech, Griffin Armament, Knight's, Rugged, SIG, SureFire, Tactical Solutions,Thunder Beast, YHM
    www.silencershop.com
    512-931-4556

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    What was ammo 1? 29gr something?

CCI Standard Velocity 1070fps and CCI Subsonic LHP 1050fps are the best performers in my guns. American eagle suppressor ammo, 45gr copper washed ammo works well but not as precise.
    It was some kind of 20 grain aguila something. I was listening to the salesman try and tell me about it and I was like 'pass'...

https://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire/

That aguila sniper ammo looks like it might be worth a try too.

I still need to buy an optic for my rifle so I haven't gotten into what is and isn't precision just yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    It was some kind of 20 grain aguila something. I was listening to the salesman try and tell me about it and I was like 'pass'...

I still need to buy an optic for my rifle so I haven't gotten into what is and isn't precision just yet.
    I have some 29 from Super Colibris to shoot from my .22 revolver (primer, no powder). I would dream of shooting one through a can. Stabilization worries me

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post

Both SilencerCo and AAC have warnings for the Aguila SSS 60gr ammo (examples in manuals below). I'm sure this warning applies to other manufacturers as well. Some barrels have issues stabilizing the bullet and it can produce baffle strikes. CCI standard velocity and CCI subsonic HP are about all I use now.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/ass...ement2_v12.pdf
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.silence...Spectre-II.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I have some 29 from Super Colibris to shoot from my .22 revolver (primer, no powder). I would dream of shooting one through a can. Stabilization worries me
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. But now at least they are catching on and trying different things. That super light bullet though... no way. I have no reason to say no way but I didn't care to figure it out. Even that .40 grain subsonic stuff won't run in my rifle. Yes you get a quiet shot but it won't extract or eject or whatever.

I will end up doing a .22 ammo test so maybe we should compile a list

42 grain is out there.... (not sure of the velocity or if it will cycle a standard 10/22) but I know for sure the .45 grain stuff will. I need to hurry up and decide on an optic so I can test all this stuff out.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 16 September 2016 at 17:12.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviantLogic View Post
    Both SilencerCo and AAC have warnings for the Aguila SSS 60gr ammo (examples in manuals below). I'm sure this warning applies to other manufacturers as well. Some barrels have issues stabilizing the bullet and it can produce baffle strikes. CCI standard velocity and CCI subsonic HP are about all I use now.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/ass...ement2_v12.pdf
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.silence...Spectre-II.pdf
    Ohhh wow. I guess that one is crossed off the list.