Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

300 blk pistol build...

I am going to put together a cheapy 300blk pistol build which I will have with me on a daily basis instead of my pws pdw sbr.

things I want:

8-9.5 " barrel
    MI g3 lightweight keymod (or mlok?) - or this type
    .30 flash hider
    kak shockwave
    law tactical folder (already have)
    low pro gas block (prolly geiselle)

stuff I need:

complete bolt assembly (i have a carrier already)
    charging handle
    upper dust cover
    forward assist

stuff I have:

complete pistol lower with pistol tube
    triji MRO (or maybe some other rds...)

opinions? considerations?

Downloads
    Uploads
    For inexpensive quality: Faxon or BA barrel.

Do you plan to plan to use linear comp tucked under rail?

For a beater, I'd consider a little more beefy rail, like Geissele MK4/8.

I have a like new KAK shockwave if you're interested.

Have you considered an upper without dust cover? It's one less thing to fiddle with for a daily packer. I don't care for forward assist but I know it's a preference for some.

I like the MRO. I wouldn't go with something less durable for daily use. That means you also need to add a mount to your list if you don't have one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Check out the Ballistic Advantage barrels. They frequently have pistol length 300 BLK barrels on sale, such as this: http://ballisticadvantage.com/8-inch...ce-barrel.html

And then order the pinned low pro gas block w/ the barrel for $40 extra (includes gas block and pinning service). Note that the Geissele Super Gas Block can be too big for some of the very skinny handguards like the KMR

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    For inexpensive quality: Faxon or BA barrel.

Do you plan to plan to use linear comp tucked under rail?

For a beater, I'd consider a little more beefy rail, like Geissele MK4/8.

I have a like new KAK shockwave if you're interested.

Have you considered an upper without dust cover? It's one less thing to fiddle with for a daily packer. I don't care for forward assist but I know it's a preference for some.

I like the MRO. I wouldn't go with something less durable for daily use. That means you also need to add a mount to your list if you don't have one.
    Not so much as a beater, more of a defensive tool.

I have a buddy locally that is going to sell me his at a good discount.

AR's should have dust covers and forward assists, if they don't then its wrong.

I was considering a PRO or something along those lines.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Check out the Ballistic Advantage barrels. They frequently have pistol length 300 BLK barrels on sale, such as this: http://ballisticadvantage.com/8-inch...ce-barrel.html

And then order the pinned low pro gas block w/ the barrel for $40 extra (includes gas block and pinning service). Note that the Geissele Super Gas Block can be too big for some of the very skinny handguards like the KMR
    damn that's cheap....might have to do that but I gata find a tiny rail..hmmm

Downloads
    Uploads
    that ballistic advantage 8" was too good to pass up, bought that with the gas block, hell of a deal.

got an MI g3 keymod lightweight rail in FDE, matching strike industries dust cover in fde to match.

this gun be good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nevermind you already found a rail.... I was going to suggest the Kaw Valley Konza rails. Good choice for cheapy builds, especially pistol ones.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK...soooooo...

I finally got a muzzle device and it doesn't fit on the barrel. Figured I was derping and may have bought the wrong one.

Double checked online, nope advertised as right size. Went to a local gunsmith I trust and he said the Ballistic Advantage barrel threads are out of spec and/or whoever cut them did so in a hurry as they aren't the advertised thread.

I emailed BA but no response yet...anyone have a contact over there? I'm hoping they can swap it out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    OK...soooooo...

I finally got a muzzle device and it doesn't fit on the barrel. Figured I was derping and may have bought the wrong one.

Double checked online, nope advertised as right size. Went to a local gunsmith I trust and he said the Ballistic Advantage barrel threads are out of spec and/or whoever cut them did so in a hurry as they aren't the advertised thread.

I emailed BA but no response yet...anyone have a contact over there? I'm hoping they can swap it out.
    Could be worse. You could have been spinning on a direct thread can and have it lock up solid. Then you could send it to the suppressor manufacturer who clearly sends you photographs of the jacked up thread dimensions he's checking for you and have them still deny it's their fault.

FYI I've also had that same issue with 2 different Rainier Arms barrels... You can draw your own conclusions but everything I've said here is true. Coincidence or same machine shop I'm not 100% sure about. Not a big deal as I gauge out the threads and touch up if needed but it sure pisses you off when you don't expect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Could be worse. You could have been spinning on a direct thread can and have it lock up solid. Then you could send it to the suppressor manufacturer who clearly sends you photographs of the jacked up thread dimensions he's checking for you and have them still deny it's their fault.

FYI I've also had that same issue with 2 different Rainier Arms barrels... You can draw your own conclusions but everything I've said here is true. Coincidence or same machine shop I'm not 100% sure about. Not a big deal as I gauge out the threads and touch up if needed but it sure pisses you off when you don't expect it.
    I'm going to call them tomorrow. Hopefully they either fix replace or refund. If not I have to get it rethreaded and thats not 100%

Downloads
    Uploads
    Try other brakes if you have some handy. Or a thread protector. I'm specifically speaking about direct thread suppressors in my cases. Even a Silencerco direct thread would not go on the two RA barrels where all their muzzle devices worked although very tight going on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Try other brakes if you have some handy. Or a thread protector. I'm specifically speaking about direct thread suppressors in my cases. Even a Silencerco direct thread would not go on the two RA barrels where all their muzzle devices worked although very tight going on.
    The gunsmith tried several muzzle adapters to see if it worked and he had another barrel with the same thread there and that one accepted them all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a barrel like this. Used a Snap-on Die and chased the thread on it for several days a couple passes at a time. Went slow, used lots of cutting lube (used motor oil), and just took my time. Overall, the thread pitch didn't change, but the grooves deepened. The MD doesn't spin on like it's on bearings, nor should it. Got the new MD on, double checked alignment, and it works great.

That's the method for a barrel you're stuck with. I'd send yours back. BA is good people, don't be afraid to exchange.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    BA said they will take a look at it and I sent them all the info, waiting on an RMA.

Will update as things develop, hopefully they fix it or replace it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just can't win with this build...

So BA sent me an RMA for the barrel, cool.

Except I can't get the MI barrel nut off the RA upper. All four of the grooves stripped. I called MI and the tech was like "just put a torch to it." Ok....did that, now they are completely stripped and after trying with a strap wrench for thirty minutes I'm done.

Will see if BA will do the work for me or if I have to send it to MI to fix and send back to me.