Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pipe wrench and a new barrel nut. Sucks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I just can't win with this build...

So BA sent me an RMA for the barrel, cool.

Except I can't get the MI barrel nut off the RA upper. All four of the grooves stripped. I called MI and the tech was like "just put a torch to it." Ok....did that, now they are completely stripped and after trying with a strap wrench for thirty minutes I'm done.

Will see if BA will do the work for me or if I have to send it to MI to fix and send back to me.
    The chi of this weapon is clearly out of center.

In all seriousness that totally sucks. Hope it all get squared away soon.

I've got a BA 8.3" .300 barrel showing up tomorrow, hope it's gtg.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Pipe wrench and a new barrel nut. Sucks.
    I've put together and taken apart dozens of ARs...Only time I've had this issue is when factory guns are all mangled with shit parts, or parts are defective which I think the case is here. It's pretty frustrating...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yup. Had a DPMS .308 i Cerakoted that had to be at 100ft lbs and covered with some ignorant white locktite. Broke the pins off two wrenches with breaker bars then put a 24" pipe wrench and a torch to it. It came loose but the barrel nut was trashed.

Using a reaction rod or a clamp around vise block? Maybe cut the slots deeper into the barrel nut to get the 3 point wrench further back into good material? I think most of the issue is from that damn wrench flexing and tearing up the slots.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Yup. Had a DPMS .308 i Cerakoted that had to be at 100ft lbs and covered with some ignorant white locktite. Broke the pins off two wrenches with breaker bars then put a 24" pipe wrench and a torch to it. It came loose but the barrel nut was trashed.

Using a reaction rod or a clamp around vise block? Maybe cut the slots deeper into the barrel nut to get the 3 point wrench further back into good material? I think most of the issue is from that damn wrench flexing and tearing up the slots.
    I don't want to mess with cutting as I have to return the barrel for service - they might be like "you fucked it up!" and send it right back without doing anything to it - which is what I am expecting them to do anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    pix or lies:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Damn. The barrel nut failed before the wrench. Still think heat and a pipe wrench is the best bet. Nut is trashed anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You may be able to drill a hole in it and use a spanner wrench.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    You may be able to drill a hole in it and use a spanner wrench.
    I thought about it...shit maybe I'll try it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok!

FML...

I had to beat the fucking barrel out of the upper using a wooden stick.

Fuck that mess. Either the RA upper is out of spec of the BA barrel is.

Either way, no way these two are going back together.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to see you got it off. Last couple I've put together have been extremely tight also.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Good to see you got it off. Last couple I've put together have been extremely tight also.
    The barrel was super tight inside the upper, might have something to do with it? Who knows.

Anyway, had to get a little snippy with MI customer service in order for them to send me a new barrel nut. I could probably have used this one as the hole works really well but I am sure the integrity is compromised as I beat the piss out of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is that red loctite around the barrel nut threads? If so, somebody needs kicked dead flush in the nuggies. My Radical upper didn't have anything on the threads and came right apart.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Is that red loctite around the barrel nut threads? If so, somebody needs kicked dead flush in the nuggies. My Radical upper didn't have anything on the threads and came right apart.
    Grease.

And I would be more than a little concerned with ANY company who does not lubricate the threads when installing a barrel nut.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I've put together and taken apart dozens of ARs...Only time I've had this issue is when factory guns are all mangled with shit parts, or parts are defective which I think the case is here. It's pretty frustrating...
    Likely operator error... way to deflect.

Doesn't look like there is enough AeroShell in there.