Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    2,181
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    but I also keep coming back to the 7mm-08 as a fantastic versatile round for both long range shooting and hunting up to Elk sized game.
    I was in a class with someone running 7mm-08 and during the session talking about external ballistics, one of the examples was his numbers as a comparison/teaching point. Sheesh. I think his rounds traveled back through time, they were moving so fast.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    3,823
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Several reasons 260 rem is good:

    Easy to convert 308 brass.
    Lapua makes 260 rem brass.
    Less steep shoulder compared to 6.5 creedmoor is potentially better for autoloaders.
    More case capacity than 6.5 creedmoor - higher velocity

    Downside is factory match ammo isn't as common, costs more.

    Pretty much what I would say , I'd skip the 243 and grab a 308 but for more accuracy/thump/range ,I would grab a 6.5, 260 or a few others but I also reload so that plays a part for some..

    But I ain't got any of the above but a pile of 308 sitting around for something....someday

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,320
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    .308 isn't a glamor caliber or hot and new, but it's a solid, established player in the market.

    If you're looking at 1000+, I'd probably try to get a 22"-24" barrel to give you the extra velocity push for further distances.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,870
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Pretty much what I would say , I'd skip the 243 and grab a 308 but for more accuracy/thump/range ,I would grab a 6.5, 260 or a few others but I also reload so that plays a part for some..

    But I ain't got any of the above but a pile of 308 sitting around for something....someday
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    .308 isn't a glamor caliber or hot and new, but it's a solid, established player in the market.

    If you're looking at 1000+, I'd probably try to get a 22"-24" barrel to give you the extra velocity push for further distances.

    I have absolutely NOTHING against .308. I have wanted one or two for quite some time now. Let's not kid ourselves... if money grew on trees it wouldn't even be a question. I am merely 1. Prioritizing what I get first and 2. trying to make an informed decision. One decision can and will influence other later on decisions...because I try to build or buy with a purpose in mind....

    By the time you build or buy the gun, get a scope, get the brass, bullets, powder, primers, etc....you're talking quite a bit of coin to have a gun with any kind of decent stock of ammo. Let's say $2 grand for a decent gun...about the same for a decent scope....and you're talking another grand or more to keep a few thousand rounds of bullets, brass, primers, etc in a decent supply...if you space all that out over time it doesn't feel so bad but still... you're talking about a pretty good financial commitment for the 'whole package'.

    In the end I am really glad the .260 was brought up by Boilerup. As of right now that is my primary choice for the type of gun I have in mind. On paper it looks fantastic. And the cool thing is (over time) I can stock up on a bunch of good .308 brass.

    My logic behind it I guess is there is carry over and sharing that can take place among several calibers and guns I already have. If I get a 1400+ yard gun that uses .308 brass as the base...I think planning this stuff out can have a big impact on 'how' I put together a .308 and in other areas too. If I have a 1400+ yard gun then I can build a .308 that is meant for 6-800 yards or so... I can go scout rifle instead of trying to make it a super long range 26 inch gun...and naturally it could go longer but I can 'intend' the gun and it's parts to be in that arena. I think that is the sweet spot for a .308. It can go farther for sure but I am talking about the overall build (or buy) and the concept behind it all...

    Also when I do go over to .308 I can use the same powder for my blaster AR15 SBR loads... I can consolidate as much as possible. (I have two jugs of CFE223 that I have high hopes for that can also be used in .308) I am going to try and develop an accuracy load with 69gr SMK with it and see how it does compared to Varget... if that works then I can just buy one powder for multiple guns already.... but being able to share powder is a good thing...

    More or less with the long range gun that's one thing to try and get sub MOA... but if I get that under my belt... when I do a .308 I can share powder and just worry about getting a 1 MOA gun or so and just roll with it.

    For the really long gun 24 inch barrel for sure... I still haven't made any final decisions yet but I am narrowing down my choices a lot...but I am making big picture plans here... LOL

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    2,181
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Good news, alamo. If you go with a .30 cal-based brass round, I know a guy who could help you out with a fair amount of 7.62 brass. You know, if you're looking. Disclaimer...it's crimped brass, so...there's that.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,870
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Good news, alamo. If you go with a .30 cal-based brass round, I know a guy who could help you out with a fair amount of 7.62 brass. You know, if you're looking. Disclaimer...it's crimped brass, so...there's that.
    Know a guy... a friend of yours right? I bought a bunch of military crimp Lake City .223 brass. Trying to get through a 5 gallon bucket full of that is teaching me a lot LOL!

    My job just went full time as of yesterday so I have a lot of catching up to do on a lot of things. At least now I am getting a lot closer to formulating a plan though. Over the course of the next year I will 1) finish my Kidd 10/22 build...2) get a .260 bolt gun of some sort...3)I would really like to build an AR10 from a CMT set (but I am getting nervous about it after hearing about people with so many problems with them)

    I would also like to get another suppressor too...I already have $10 grand (at least) plotted out to spend LOL!

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,320
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Good news, alamo. If you go with a .30 cal-based brass round, I know a guy who could help you out with a fair amount of 7.62 brass. You know, if you're looking. Disclaimer...it's crimped brass, so...there's that.
    Crimped primer pockets? No problem! I have the crimp remover in my prep station already


    And Alamo, try 25.5gr CFE 223 with your 69gr SMKs at 2.250". It work reel gud

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    2,181
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Crimped primer pockets? No problem! I have the crimp remover in my prep station already
    I was mostly joking and didn't mean to spam the thread, but I do have a healthy amount of FC/LC brass (crimped) that I'm not super-excited about moving when I have to move in a few months. Maybe my mood will change if ammo prices explode, but for now, I just can't get excited about reloading with all of the other distractions of life.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,870
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    And Alamo, try 25.5gr CFE 223 with your 69gr SMKs at 2.250". It work reel gud
    I still have a jug of Varget to use up... but if I could consolidate that round using CFE that would be awesome. I would buy a few more jugs of CFE223 if it works that well.

    You got a load for 75gr bullets? I bought 4000 Hornady 75gr bullets for my SBR ammo... I will start load development at some point. Probably after I deplete my current stash of ammo.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,320
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I still have a jug of Varget to use up... but if I could consolidate that round using CFE that would be awesome. I would buy a few more jugs of CFE223 if it works that well.

    You got a load for 75gr bullets? I bought 4000 Hornady 75gr bullets for my SBR ammo... I will start load development at some point. Probably after I deplete my current stash of ammo.
    I have seen people run CFE up to 26.5gr with no pressure signs with a 75gr bullet (max) but I haven't worked higher than 69gr bullets with CFE223. I was given a few pounds of ARComp and have a thousand 75gr Hornadys and was going to pair them up.

    However, work it up but if you're using that Rainier barrel, 24.1gr of Varget and the 75s should do real well.


    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I was mostly joking and didn't mean to spam the thread, but I do have a healthy amount of FC/LC brass (crimped) that I'm not super-excited about moving when I have to move in a few months. Maybe my mood will change if ammo prices explode, but for now, I just can't get excited about reloading with all of the other distractions of life.
    No worries; if you want to dump some when you're ready to move, let me know!

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    2,181
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Will do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •