Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Noveske Gas Ports

I've been doing a lot of Googling trying to determine where Noveske stands with their barrels and if they're over-gassed or not. I see conflicting reports where some people say they're fine and others point out that they're not. What's not clear is if the people saying they aren't over-gassed have old ones or new ones. It's also hard to tell if the people that are saying they're not are actually running spec ammo or not.

I have a "pre-death" 16" that is no over-gassed and runs fantastic suppressed or unsuppressed. However I'm looking for a stainless barrel now, and it seems it's down to BCM or Noveske for the length I'm looking for.

So, what say you all? For new barrels, are they more gassy? (An adjustable gas block is not an option due to the rail choice)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I cannot answer this question. But VSeven may be the next evolution of the Noveske stainless. Worth at least looking at. I have run two barrels so far and do not find them gassy. In fact, the adjustable gas blocks I use take little adjustment. Give Joel a call at VSeven and see if he's any help. They have every length I think but the 13.7".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Huh. I thought I had looked them up, but now that I'm on their site, apparently not. Geez. "Thanks..." Now on to more Googling!

Downloads
    Uploads
    gator, I've never measured my gas ports on my Noveske rifles, but my pre-Johnny death barrels are definitely less gassy IMHO.

I have two 10.5's post-Johnny barrels still in the box. I should measure those. One Stainless, the other N4.

Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I've been able to interpolate, it seems like they changed them at some point. That V-Seven looks interesting though. I just need to do some more research.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly everything post John has been kind of meh, the N6 doesn't do it for me, and neither does their new short bolt gun 6.5. Being local I also don't like all the drama between the AR companies out of the area now. I probably like the SMOS receivers the most out of all the local companies, but I am not too fond of their decision to raise their pricing (though I fully understand it and why).

With the increased price it is just hard to justify the coin on any of the rollmarks/designs coming out of GP/Merlin when you consider CMT, Rainier, Mega, BAD, 2A, Northtech, etc. Plus I am fucking SICK of the NSR style barrel nut, I honestly cannot believe people still buy rails they have to shim. I just think for the money I would look elsewhere.

Sorry to get off topic lol.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I've been doing a lot of Googling trying to determine where Noveske stands with their barrels and if they're over-gassed or not. I see conflicting reports where some people say they're fine and others point out that they're not. What's not clear is if the people saying they aren't over-gassed have old ones or new ones. It's also hard to tell if the people that are saying they're not are actually running spec ammo or not.

I have a "pre-death" 16" that is no over-gassed and runs fantastic suppressed or unsuppressed. However I'm looking for a stainless barrel now, and it seems it's down to BCM or Noveske for the length I'm looking for.

So, what say you all? For new barrels, are they more gassy? (An adjustable gas block is not an option due to the rail choice)
    What length barrel are you looking for?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I was wanting to know the port size for proper buffer weight utilization. I have already purchased the upper with Noveske barrel, but I bought it off the EE from M4C and do not / did not know all the specs. All I know is that the upper originated from MSTN.

Yes, I trust Noveske to assemble top quality products, but I also trust my inexperience in knowing how to address troubleshooting. My list of reliable people to ask questions like this is short. I've only been shooting AR's for two years and this is my first SBR. I thought the experienced members on this forum would be good people to learn from.

Rob_S, I don't know what you aimed to prove, but I would like to think you would be more helpful to the less experienced looking to gain knowledge. Had I asked, "which buffer to use on an 11.5" SBR?", you would have said H or H2. I would have responded, WHY? The ultimate answer lies within the gas port size.

Kartoffel, thanks for jumping in. You nailed it and clearly saw the point of the question.

I don't know that I'm "trying to prove" anything, other than these kinds of discussions about inconsequential minutiae are having exactly the effect I'm talking about: distracting people from what matters.

This obsession with minutiae, tweaking, "tuning", building, etc. all from positions of total ignorance is what I'm lobbying against. Go shoot the gun. If you do not know enough out of the gate to know how to answer your own questions and solve your own problems, you need to be buying a factory gun, or contacting the manufacturer when you buy a used gun (or half a gun) and ask them the question that you really want to ask. Honestly, if someone had replied to this thread and said "the gas port size on your barrel is 0.x inches" would you know enough to then figure out on your own what buffer to use? Then why not just call Noveske and say "hey guys, I just bought one of your uppers and I was wondering if you could tell me the optimum buffer to use".

FWIW, this buffer/spring obsession has gotten equally ludicrous.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Um, okay. Was this meant to be posted on the M4C or P&S browser tab you had opened?

What length barrel are you looking for?
    12.5"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is the insight I can provide. I have 2 14.5" new production Noveske CHF CL barrels. Using an H1 buffer in each rifle I have them on, it seems a bit over gassed using mil spec ammo. My ammo ejects at about 2 o'clock using an H buffer. There have been no malfunctions with either barrel. I think using and H-2 buffer would "fix" the non problem. But yes, I believe that the new manufacture barrels are just a bit over gassed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post

I have had multiple Noveske rifles from the time period where John Noveske still signed the certs on the SBR's. They were over-gassed.

One was a 14.5" middy, CHF, Switchblock. It was gassy enough with the port set to "suppressed" that it would eject XM193 without a can on the gun. It wouldn't feet, but it would eject and re-set the trigger.
    One was a 10.5" CHF, no SB, carbine length. It was downright violent suppressed with any buffer known to man that fits a carbine RE and a Sprinco Blue. I tried an H3, and it was still violent as hell.

Every Noveske barrel I have seen measurements for is significantly larger than I'd prefer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting to hear.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a V7, just waiting for a reply to an email. We'll see how it works out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just measured a brand new 12.5 Noveske N4 gas port at 0.071". It honestly surprised me, as I expected it to be larger based on the reports of overgassing. That seems like a perfectly reasonable port size for a 12.5 barrel.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    I just measured a brand new 12.5 Noveske N4 gas port at 0.071". It honestly surprised me, as I expected it to be larger based on the reports of overgassing. That seems like a perfectly reasonable port size for a 12.5 barrel.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Interesting. I think you can go smaller on a 12.5--Centurion ports theirs at .065. My current go to is a 12.5N4. It took an A5 H3 to tame it some, although, I've always felt I could easily go up to an A5H4.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Interesting. I think you can go smaller on a 12.5--Centurion ports theirs at .065. My current go to is a 12.5N4. It took an A5 H3 to tame it some, although, I've always felt I could easily go up to an A5H4.
    Well, I can easily run an A5H3 on my Sionics reduced gas port 11.5 barrel. So, that's not necessarily a bad thing. The Sionics is around 0.070, so you could definitely go smaller on a 12.5 if you wanted to. But 0.065 is on the small side. Sounds like it would make a good suppressed barrel too.