Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light on DMR?

Downloads
    Uploads

Light on DMR?

Does anyone put a light on a precision rifle/DMR? I'm not talking like a rifle I'd use out to extended ranges, but rather one for short to medium range (500-600 tops). If so, can anyone make a light recommendation?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hg8057 View Post
    Does anyone put a light on a precision rifle/DMR? I'm not talking like a rifle I'd use out to extended ranges, but rather one for short to medium range (500-600 tops). If so, can anyone make a light recommendation?
    What's the plan for the light? Illuminating targets at 500-600 yards? Or if the target was closer?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Probably closer. I'd like to be able to positively ID the target before firing. Semi rural with some space. Is there a light that would reach out to 5-600 that's practical?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unwanted (four legged) critters almost exclusively with the ability to ID the two legged variety if need be. This isn't going to be a concealed sniper type rifle at all. More like a critter eradicator/standoff home defense rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    500 yards and let you ID through a scope at night? Your typical 2 cell CR123 light like a Surefire Scout M600 Ultra won't do much past 100 yards. You'd need something like the Surefire Hellfighter.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are several companies that make laser illuminators that can reach out to 500 yards, usually using green lasers. They're hunting oriented, so I don't know how rugged they are, and are ill-suited for self-defense applications, but they definitely can reach out. Laser Genetics seems to be the leading manufacturer, at least in terms of web presence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Slippers is spot on. The typical light won't let you see past 100 yards. Even at 100, you may not be able to ID your target.

I don't usually put lights on my longer range setups. Then again mine are only designed to punch paper at distances.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Slippers is spot on. The typical light won't let you see past 100 yards. Even at 100, you may not be able to ID your target.
    I kinda figured something along those lines would be the case. Thought I'd try just in case there was something available. Thanks for the help all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm rural. I use a Surefire fury when walking the yard at night. I can identity animal species at 50 yards. At 100, I can only see eyeballs and study their behavior to identify the animal. I've seen the fury on rails. But I'd prefer a 16" or shorter setup when hanging stuff off the end.

Or look at Armasight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    There are several companies that make laser illuminators that can reach out to 500 yards, usually using green lasers. They're hunting oriented, so I don't know how rugged they are, and are ill-suited for self-defense applications, but they definitely can reach out. Laser Genetics seems to be the leading manufacturer, at least in terms of web presence.
    Fairly regularly, I operate with NVGs and some sort of illuminated light source while looking for critters crossing my path. Personally, I'm just worried about hitting them, but to give some perspective, I typically run with a light that is NOT NVG compliant, so very bright. At 1500 feet (500y), I'd be able to see eyes and shape, but probably not be able to tell species (other than non-human). On a high-light night, it might be a little easier. When I switch to a NVG-compliant light, my acuity goes way down on darker nights.

I understand this isn't helpful for your linked company, but when I'm operating with a constant 400hz AC power source and this happens, I have my doubts about about a rifle-mounted illuminator to reach out that far. But, I've been wrong before.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    500 yards and let you ID through a scope at night? Your typical 2 cell CR123 light like a Surefire Scout M600 Ultra won't do much past 100 yards. You'd need something like the Surefire Hellfighter.
    I think the M600U is good to about 2-250 yards if you have quality optics and 4-8x magnification and night-adjusted vision. This is based on a Nightfighter course I took where just such animals were involved. Would I want to be recognizing faces? No. but I mean for say, shooting "a thing" such as a coyote. I could not tell if it was a neighbor's dog, or a coyote, but I could tell you it wasn't a person down on all 4's.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    I'm rural. I use a Surefire fury when walking the yard at night. I can identity animal species at 50 yards. At 100, I can only see eyeballs and study their behavior to identify the animal. I've seen the fury on rails. But I'd prefer a 16" or shorter setup when hanging stuff off the end.

Or look at Armasight.
    The fury has a lot more spill than the TIR lights.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    The fury has a lot more spill than the TIR lights.
    Always interested in improving but searching "TIR lights" isn't pulling up anything useful. Got info?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Always interested in improving but searching "TIR lights" isn't pulling up anything useful. Got info?
    He means the m600 ultra. I don't agree that it is usable to 250 yards based on my personal experience.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gonna pop in here with some near nightly experience in a environment similar to yours - I can see the Milky Way at night, for reference on type of environment.

I've screened a lot of options for throw and spill, many in a form factor that could be weapon mounted. I'm going to echo Slippers and UWOne. There really isn't anything I've tried that I would want to weapon-mount and throws past 125 yards with enough intensity to discriminate between targets. You can get eye reflections and very vague shapes from further out, but trying to identify anything at 150 yards isn't practical even in good, low dust conditions. I'm usually left wondering "deer, elk, coyote, fox, bobcat or dog". I think it's important to remember ANSI specs for throw equate to roughly the light of a full moon at the distance quoted. Simply put, that is enough light to tell something is there....but a long way from being able to make any kinda of discriminating trigger decision.

The best head options I've found if you're trying to push throw in a mountable sizes are XP-L HI based heads running off 18650 cells. You'll give up ruggedness, simple interfaces and compact size...then it still won't get past 150 yards with any reasonable ability to discern shapes. Any expectation of reaching 250+ yards is, IMO, unreasonable.
    Last edited by RiverRat; 6 October 2016 at 15:15.