Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light on DMR?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks all for the "illuminating" input. It's obvious that I know very little about flashlights and their abilities. I had hoped technology had progressed enough to make illumination at medium ranges practical. It seems that it hasn't yet. I'll check through all of your suggestions and find what I believe to be my best option. Thanks again for the constructive input and lack of near instantaneous snarkiness that I've found on many other forums.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    He means the m600 ultra. I don't agree that it is usable to 250 yards based on my personal experience.
    The lights differ. Mine is a beast, probably putting out 600+ lumens. I and everyone at NF could tell a NOTABLE difference between it, and the X300U's and other M600U's in use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
    Gonna pop in here with some near nightly experience in a environment similar to yours - I can see the Milky Way at night, for reference on type of environment.

I've screened a lot of options for throw and spill, many in a form factor that could be weapon mounted. I'm going to echo Slippers and UWOne. There really isn't anything I've tried that I would want to weapon-mount and throws past 125 years with enough intensity to discriminate between targets. You can get eye reflections and very vague shapes from further out, but trying to identify anything at 150 yards isn't practical even in good, low dust conditions. I'm usually left wondering "deer, elk, coyote, fox, bobcat or dog". I think it's important to remember ANSI specs for throw equate to roughly the light of a full moon at the distance quoted. Simply put, that is enough light to tell something is there....but a long way from being able to make any kinda of discriminating trigger decision.

The best head options I've found if you're trying to push throw in a mountable sizes are XP-L HI based heads running off 18650 cells. You'll give up ruggedness, simple interfaces and compact size...then it still won't get past 150 yards with any reasonable ability to discern shapes. Any expectation of reaching 250+ yards is, IMO, unreasonable.
    Take age into consideration. I am 30. With a full moon, and magnification, I can discern quite a bit. I'm not trying to be ageist, it's a medical fact. Also, everyone's eyes differ.

http://seniordriving.aaa.com/underst...-requirements/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    The lights differ. Mine is a beast, probably putting out 600+ lumens. I and everyone at NF could tell a NOTABLE difference between it, and the X300U's and other M600U's in use.
    I'm confused. Is yours different than an off-the-shelf m600u? If so, why would you recommend the m600u to someone if they can't get the exact same thing? He'd be disappointed in the light.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hg8057 View Post
    Thanks all for the "illuminating" input. It's obvious that I know very little about flashlights and their abilities. I had hoped technology had progressed enough to make illumination at medium ranges practical. It seems that it hasn't yet. I'll check through all of your suggestions and find what I believe to be my best option. Thanks again for the constructive input and lack of near instantaneous snarkiness that I've found on many other forums.
    Again, if it's for hunting, I would not use a typical WML, and would instead try out one of the hunting-oriented laser illuminators. I'm actually curious as to how animals would react to sudden white light coming on, even if you did have a beast of a light, like a HellFighter.

Or, if you have vast amounts of money, I'd suggest looking at some kind of clip-on night vision sight, such as the BNS sold by TNVC: https://tnvc.com/shop/bns-boresighte...-weapon-sight/

You may also want to check out http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ and ask their opinion, again keeping in mind that this is for hunting and not self-defense.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
    The best head options I've found if you're trying to push throw in a mountable sizes are XP-L HI based heads running off 18650 cells. You'll give up ruggedness, simple interfaces and compact size...then it still won't get past 150 yards with any reasonable ability to discern shapes. Any expectation of reaching 250+ yards is, IMO, unreasonable.
    I agree with this.

No matter how good your eyes are or how young you are. When I was on graveyard in my 20's and early 30's I had 20/15 uncorrected vision. When we walked around the local High School tracks to get out of the car and stretch our legs, sometimes we'd flash our lights from our SL20's down the field when something furry ran across. It was hard to ID the target even back then. Think about it, even in daylight can you ID a target at 100, 200 yards easily? Other than being able to tell it's a person?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lightforce Pred9 series lights will get you out to 250 yards. Completely impractical for anything other than stationary predator hunting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think 50 yards max for a gun light. I've used scouts and x300s. Anything beyond, especially with no ambient light will be hard to ID.