Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hardshell Jacket ?

I'm looking for a new hard shell jacket for the rain and would like your suggestions especially my PNW people .
    On my move up from Ca I brought my 3 Tadgear softshells which worked great in Ca but turned out to be to warm & not water proof enough for our weather . I picked up an OR Foray which did the trick but lost most of it's dwr and seams started to fall apart after a year of lazy use so It's time to get something new.
    I've been looking at the TAD Raptor http://store.tripleaughtdesign.com/Raptor-Hoodie
    Arc'teryx Alpha not sure regular or lt http://leaf.arcteryx.com/ProductFind...gory=Hardshell
    And the not as fashionable Columbia OUTDRY™ EX DIAMOND SHELL http://www.columbia.com/mens-outdry-...2=Dry&start=11

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is some good gear tailored for hunting applications that might interestyou. The Sitka Stormfront has a good reputation: https://www.sitkagear.com/products/s...rmfront-jacket

Personally, I'm probably going to pick up a First Lite Vapor Stormlight for my next piece of rain gear: http://www.firstlite.com/vapor-jacket.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a Arcteryx LEAF and Otte Gear kind of guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like that Sitka but don't mention what gore-tex they use & First lite doesn't look like it has taped seams although it mentions waterproof zippers .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I'm a Arcteryx LEAF and Otte Gear kind of guy.
    I've been meaning to check out their downtown store & the Beyond one when I can get my blood pressure down enough to be in that area .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you work outdoors? I don't find our weather bad enough where a softshell isn't enough for daily wear/rain.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Do you work outdoors? I don't find our weather bad enough where a softshell isn't enough for daily wear/rain.
    No , but I spend a lot of time outdoors shooting/fishing/hiking out here on the Olympic Peninsula ,I'm not sure what our rainfall is compared to you .
    I have several soft shells from Tad but they are all very old and insulated so they get sweaty and the dwr treatments aren't holding up .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Otte Gear Patrol Parka 31oz e-vent $495
    Tad Gear Raptor 14.46 oz neoshell $425
    Beyond A-6 Alt1 ? ? $569
    Arc'teryx Lt Alpha 14.5 oz N40p-X $589

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    Otte Gear Patrol Parka 31oz e-vent $495
    Tad Gear Raptor 14.46 oz neoshell $425
    Beyond A-6 Alt1 ? ? $569
    Arc'teryx Lt Alpha 14.5 oz N40p-X $589

Good lord

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post

Good lord
    Its a jacket or half a Knights sr25 mag

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    I like that Sitka but don't mention what gore-tex they use & First lite doesn't look like it has taped seams although it mentions waterproof zippers .
    I'd be really surprised if the seams aren't taped on the First Lite. I'm leaning towards the light weight jacket because I hunt in Eastern WA. If I was going to be out on the Olympic Penninsula I'd go with a full featured jacket like the Sitka or First Lite's SEAK. Here is a review on the First Lite jackets: http://www.rokslide.com/gear/clothin...aingear-review

I'm intrigued by the First Lite's in part because they use Cocona 37.5 fabric which is the only real competition to Gore and it is reportedly more breathable and I like an underdog. I have sever wool items from First Lite and it is all fantastically well built and designed.

Of course, there is always Pata-gucci. It's trendy, but based on a well earned reputation for quality and performance so should be considered. http://www.patagonia.com/product/men...inwear#start=1

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you refreshed the DWR at any point? DWR doesn't last forever, you'll have to reapply it every so often. Without DWR, the membrane may still be waterproof, but the outer surface gets wetted out, and it is no longer able to breathe, and thus condensation and sweat builds up inside the jacket, and you end up getting wet.

After that, I'd also get in contact with Outdoor Research's customer service. I've had very good experiences with them thus far, so I think it's worth trying out.

Beyond that, I don't think the Arc'teryx LEAF Alpha would be the right choice if you're not going to be using it very hard; the Alpha LT should last you a lifetime if you're not climbing mountains/warfighting. One of the SMU guys I know said this:

Quote Originally Posted by basicload
    I have not had good success with the Alpha LT in operational use. If you are just wearing it around its good, but as a dedicated outer garment for working, its too light.

The reason that I am not a fan of the LT line is that I have had several buddies rip theirs during operational use. Mostly it was the pants but I have seen a few jackets blow out as well.

If you are just hanging out in the cold, the LT should be fine, but if you are going to run and gun with it then you need the heavier jacket.

Disclaimer: Arcteryx repaired all of the damaged items. their customer service was acceptable.
    FWIW, I personally found the Arc'teryx store in downtown Seattle to have a relatively limited selection. It would be good for trying stuff on for sizing, not sure how knowledgeable the staff are.

I'll note that other brands with quality hardshells include Mountain Hardware, Wild Things, and Westcomb.

I personally used an Arc'teryx LEAF Alpha Jacket and Alpha Bib on my mountaineering class, and they held up fine, and seemed pretty close to brand new even after 6 days of use, with some fairly shitty weather thrown in (enough to cancel a summit attempt of Mt. Baker).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Marmot Gravity Jacket. Only $150, as good as many of the flashy bullshit brands for a lot less money. Try the Precip if you just want a shell.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have 1 Arcteryx LEAF jacket I bought a year ago from SKD.

Jacket is nice, but honestly, not really all that better than a standard Soft Shell jacket from the North Face. Seems like a lot of cash for stuff made in China. Also I've always thought it was odd that Arcteryx would use "LEAF" for Law Enforcement and Armed Forces. Yet, they don't offer their Industry/PRO deals to either group or Firefighters.

Anyhow OP, I really like the North Face's Steep Tech Line. Have worn their Transformer Jacket for several years https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/me...ormer-jacket-2

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Jacket is nice, but honestly, not really all that better than a standard Soft Shell jacket from the North Face. Seems like a lot of cash for stuff made in China. Also I've always thought it was odd that Arcteryx would use "LEAF" for Law Enforcement and Armed Forces. Yet, they don't offer their Industry/PRO deals to either group or Firefighters.
    Are you sure Arc'teryx doesn't offer a pro deal to military and law enforcement? Their website explicitly states that they allow LEAF account purchasing for:

• Military, all active duty service personnel and units
    • Law enforcement, all active duty law enforcement officers and agencies
    • Select other government personnel and agencies
    • Security personnel and companies on government contracts
    • Employees of select LEAF equipment manufacturers

Their standard pro purchase program is mostly oriented toward outdoor professionals. It sucks that they don't offer any deals for EMS or fire, but c'est la vie. One of my good friends has a LEAF account, and he's just an infantryman with a gear fetish, no SOF background.

IIRC, Patagonia is even worse, as I recall only SOF and federal LE got access to pro deals through them (along with your usual outdoor professionals).