Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opinion needed re: stock butt pad preference

Gents, your feedback and opinion is sought and appreciated

Do you prefer a straight, 90 degree stock butt pad, or an inward canted butt pad?

If you shoot with the entire butt pad tucked into the shoulder pocket, 90 degree pad may be better. If you shoot old school, with just the toe in contact with your shoulder, then an inward canted pad is more comfortable, this is my observation anyway.

Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got lmt sopmods and most of the varieties of magpul stocks around. The enhanced pad for the ctr/str is my favorite for both offhand and prone. I find the 90 degree pads like on the sopmods to hurt and rub the skin raw after several hundred rounds of prone 308. I'm a boney guy, though, with almost no meat on my collar bone and shoulder.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    EAT!!!

I would be agreeable to a modded pad for the SOPMOD that kicks the toe of the stock in a little. That point does get uncomfortable after a while.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've always preferred the cant of the CTR/STR. Just really comfortable for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    IThe enhanced pad for the ctr/str is my favorite.
    Same.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I generally like a stock that's slightly toed-in for running and gunning, but prefer things closer to 90* when shooting prone as I get a slightly wider contact patch. For Magpul stocks I really like the MDT butt-pad for prone shooting, but it actually toes OUT at the base. Doesn't really effect rolling into the pocket much as one would think either. I'll try and grab a pic of it tomorrow if I have time.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you. A member on M4C made a wedge to change the CTR's pad from an inward cant to a more 90 degree like angle. I like the inward cant of the EMOD, especially its angled toe. I wanted to make an adapter to change the SOPMOD's 90 degree angle to EMOD's years ago, but the idea of plastic molds, the cost of it specifically, always stops me.

I recognize neither the 90 nor the canted pad is a perfect fit for all positions, I'm trying to decide whether to bring it to market (with the M4C member's consent), it'll be an inexpensive option for those that like a 90 degree pad. It'd be machined out of aluminum, so an unintended result is it can be used as a striking point on the stock I don't think we'd market it that way lol.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, never paid any attention to it. Though, I've done VERY little shooting prone so maybe that's why.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Curious how big the lmt sopmod market is, although the (crappy) b5 version means there are more out there.

The only thing I'd worry about if you only change the angle is that it has no curve at all. What about an adapter to put a magpul enhanced pad on the sopmod? :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Will, the curve is still there, but the cant is mostly gone with the adapter. Magpul's butt pad is longer than the SOPMOD's, even with the angle there will be excess material that has to be trimmed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Curious how big the lmt sopmod market is, although the (crappy) b5 version means there are more out there.
    What's your beef w/ the B5 SOPMOD?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Will, the curve is still there, but the cant is mostly gone with the adapter. Magpul's butt pad is longer than the SOPMOD's, even with the angle there will be excess material that has to be trimmed.
    My LMT sopmod stocks have completely flat butt pads, with no cant. Are we talking about the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    What's your beef w/ the B5 SOPMOD?
    Lack of quality control. I've had 4 samples. Two nearly impossible to put on several different mil-spec receiver extensions. Two extremely loose. All had lots of mold flashing leaving sharp edges, and the storage compartments were nearly impossible to remove.

I wouldn't pay for an LMT sopmod at retail. Too expensive. But retail for the B5 is hilarious considering how bad the quality is and how good Magpul's offerings are for much less.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting. I'm quite happy with my B5 SOPMOD Bravo. None of the issues you mentioned. I believe the DoD pays about $12 per copy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not a big fan of the B5's either. Tolerances are not consistent IMHO. I think the only B5 SOPMOD's I have left are FDE. Never cared for the Bravo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Interesting. I'm quite happy with my B5 SOPMOD Bravo. None of the issues you mentioned. I believe the DoD pays about $12 per copy.
    Glad you're happy with yours. The government buys massive volume, so economy of scale kicks in.