Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Griffin Armament barrels

They make a variety of these in lengths and calibers, but I would love to give one of these a shot. Throw on a minimalist FH and my Recce 5 would be at home on it

https://www.griffinarmament.com/Grif.../he161223w.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.griffinarmament.com/Griff.../he145223w.htm

Description:

The Griffin HEDP™ Barrels provide High Endurance Dual Purpose functionality- offering high durability and precision accuracy. Nitrided 416R stainless steel provides the highest possible hardness and longest throat life available with match grade bore dimensions and bore finish. HEDP barrel bores are hand lapped, ensuring batch to batch consistency and accuracy. TRUE-BORE™ concentric suppressor grade threads provide an optimized thread interface for your silencer regardless of brand or model. M4 feed ramps and chambers are polished prior to nitriding for smooth reliable feeding, chambering, and extraction. Gas ports were carefully engineered to provide reliable function suppressed or unsuppressed with 5.56 NATO ammunition. M4A1 contour diameter between the chamber and gas block for minimal POI shift with suppressors and maximum accuracy and durability while maintaining field weight. The included 416R Low profile Griffin Armament Primo gas Block™ offers unmatched value in the interest of increased customer satisfaction. Threads are slotted for pinning and welding your favorite Griffin Armament muzzle device.

The PRIMO Gas Block™ can be pinned by a trained gunsmith. Alternatively end users can quickly mount their block with the included set screws. Proficient builders should use a carbide tipped 1/8" drill bit to complete the pin hole prior to pressing the included splined pin. (splined pin installation is optional)

Features

416R SS barrel manufactured from stress relieved certified barrel steel
    Black nitrided for extended service life
    Magnetic particle inspected
    Button rifled
    223 Wylde chamber for optimal accuracy
    Mid length gas for softer recoil characteristics
    .750" gas block journal
    M4A1 diameter for reduced POI shift / Increased Accuracy & Durability
    Air gauged and hand lapped bore
    Polished chamber and M4 feed ramps
    TRU-BORE™ suppressor quality threads
    Suppressor optimized gas ports
    .625" , 1/2x28 industry standard threads
    threads pre slotted for pin and weld applications
    Included 416R Low Profile PRIMO Gas Block™

Name:  HE145223W-3.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  97.2 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh. Man.

I don't even own a suppressor and I want one.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. I would definitely like to try these out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like that the gas port is tuned for suppressor use. If they had an 18", I'd be all over it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely interested to see how these perform. I've been very happy with the suppressor I have from them, and their muzzle devices.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    I like that the gas port is tuned for suppressor use. If they had an 18", I'd be all over it.
    Same here. I think there's an SPR on my horizon!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Damn it, why can't I just get a nice 12.5" that isn't gov profile? Argh.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a question for you guys...'suppressor optimized gas ports'...

Everybody here knows I am a GA fanboy so I am not questioning them, but I am wondering what is a standard gas port size vs this one, which it says it is .625"

SBR's through my experience can become finicky on the gas to the point where the increased PSI will increase your carrier speed and basically make your gun not function 'in time'...throw in a heavier buffer and spring and you're back in business in many instances. It counteracts those forces to help prevent that violent carrier blow back. Same thing with an adjustable block...

Then throw in a suppressor to the mix and the psi pressures are extended in duration...

Basically my question is how much effect (positive or negative) does constricting the gas port have? Is it really a viable alternative to dropping in heavier buffers or using an adjustable block? If it lets say 10% less gas into the tube that would essentially mean a substantially less carrier speed...or so the theory goes...correct?

Anyone willing to share experiences with this? Trying to get my head around the concept is all.

Also would a constricted port make any significant difference on a longer barrel? Or non suppressed shooting? Shorter barrel I could see that...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Same here. I think there's an SPR on my horizon!
    That's my plan over the next six months. Centurion, Rainier, VSeven... All barrels on my radar. I want rifle gas too. I wrote Griffin to see if an 18" is in the works.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pretty sure the gas port size isn't .625"...maybe .0625".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviantLogic View Post
    Pretty sure the gas port size isn't .625"...maybe .0625".

Alamo, The .625" refers to the length of the 1/2X28 threads. Gas port size would be something like .082" or so. Talk about over gassed!

The length of the threads is important so the threads are too long, running up inside a direct threat suppressor or preventing a muzzle device from properly indexing

FWIW, I have an 18" Griffin SPR/Match 223 Wylde barrel and I love it. Was just shy of $300, but for about the price of the GA barrel you could get a Rainier Ultramatch made from a Shilen blank. Food for thought

Downloads
    Uploads
    Griffin replied they have no plans for an 18".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Griffin replied they have no plans for an 18".
    Not surprised, just based on the numbers Rainier sells of 14.5 & 16 vs 18, it's a no brainer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Doh! My dumbass misread U-Dubya's first post... I thought it was a typo...

But bigger picture has anyone done testing on porting? How does it stack up to adjustable gas blocks, heavier buffers, or even suppressor bcg's ...

I ask because there seems to be more than one way to approach the problem...and I would definitely be open minded about all possible solutions...

Anybody have a link to any articles or just personal experience?