Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Not surprised, just based on the numbers Rainier sells of 14.5 & 16 vs 18, it's a no brainer.
    To each his own but for me I don't see the appeal for an 18" barrel on an AR. I mean seriously what does it add to the overall performance of the gun?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alamo, lots of testing of port size available. Many want manufacturers to disclose the port size so they know what they are dealing with. Adj block works but adds complexity when it may not be needed. Even if you have one, it's more of a set it and forget it solution anyway. I've also read that regardless of buffer, an oversized port also erodes the port more quickly. Overgassing is a result of manufacturers not wanting John Doe know it all from eating up customer support resources cause he shoots the most underpowered cheap ammo he can find. A battle rifle, the philosophy goes, should be ported to the appropriate ammo. I prefer ports that at least work with quality ammo. I wish manufacturers would say which factory ammo has been tested so we work with it. Plenty on M4C have talked about this.

18" barrel increases velocity. For my purpose it would be a 600m rifle for training. I'd rather spend 60¢ a round in 223 match than $1.40 for 6.5C match. Plus I think 16" to be the awkward middle. For all-purpose, ideally 12.5-14.5. For longer precision, ideally The 18-20. The MK12 is a case in point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Alamo, lots of testing of port size available. Many want manufacturers to disclose the port size so they know what they are dealing with. Adj block works but adds complexity when it may not be needed. Even if you have one, it's more of a set it and forget it solution anyway. I've also read that regardless of buffer, an oversized port also erodes the port more quickly. Overgassing is a result of manufacturers not wanting John Doe know it all from eating up customer support resources cause he shoots the most underpowered cheap ammo he can find. A battle rifle, the philosophy goes, should be ported to the appropriate ammo. I prefer ports that at least work with quality ammo. I wish manufacturers would say which factory ammo has been tested so we work with it. Plenty on M4C have talked about this.

18" barrel increases velocity. For my purpose it would be a 600m rifle for training. I'd rather spend 60¢ a round in 223 match than $1.40 for 6.5C match. Plus I think 16" to be the awkward middle. For all-purpose, ideally 12.5-14.5. For longer precision, ideally The 18-20. The MK12 is a case in point.
    The 16" Recce platform I think is a fantastic rifle, with a "Recce" set up being about my favorite there is. With a quality barrel and other components, you can reach 0-500m (I limit that because the optics are lower power) easily with marginal loss of velocity over an 18", and with a suppressor, I doubt there's much difference at all. I'm not arguing by any means, it's all personal preference. I have ARs in 10.5", 16", and 18", and shoot the longer ones much more, but my Recce gets the most trigger time. I do love my 18" SPR, but it is a good 2.5lbs heavier than my 16".

Alamo, the gas port thing has been beat to death online. My WAR uppers supposedly only work with larger gas ports (between .084-.092") but I believe my Rainier gas ports are .080"-.082" (I emailed to confirm but haven't heard back yet) so it's not a deal breaker in this case. But the ideal gas port size for various barrel and gas systems, suppressed/unsuppressed, etc has been asked eleventy-billion times out there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought a Griffin Armament HEDP back before the WA AWB went into effect and finally got around to installing and shooting it. After much debate, I decided to go ahead and use the HEDP for my URG-I build. It's the 14.8" non-fluted version and has a SureFire SOCOM 4-prong FH.

While I haven't shot it for groups on paper, I can say this: after zeroing on paper with ball ammo at 200 yards using the Razor 1-6, I was able to consistently ring an 8" gong at 200 yards and *sometimes* at 300 using the BDC on a windy day using 77gr RazorCore from prone with a SF SOCOM RC2. So, off to a good start.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I bought a Griffin Armament HEDP back before the WA AWB went into effect and finally got around to installing and shooting it. After much debate, I decided to go ahead and use the HEDP for my URG-I build. It's the 14.8" non-fluted version and has a SureFire SOCOM 4-prong FH.

While I haven't shot it for groups on paper, I can say this: after zeroing on paper with ball ammo at 200 yards using the Razor 1-6, I was able to consistently ring an 8" gong at 200 yards and *sometimes* at 300 using the BDC on a windy day using 77gr RazorCore from prone with a SF SOCOM RC2. So, off to a good start.
    Hmhm cool rifle

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pardon the necropost:The whole mess is kind of FAFO. in the respect that you still have to find out what works for your rifle/suppressor/ammo setup. While all this nonsense has played out, I'm kind of surprised that nobody has offered a tapered port GB. With known "optimized" ports being around .076", a manufacturer could offer a gas port of around .088" at the journal end and taper it to the "state of the state" size at the gas tube. The restriction would be subject to the safety valve effect, the same as any other GB, fixed, or variable, but would give an optimized port to pass gas to the BCG. With all the other options, I'm really surprised this hasn't been marketed; it should be at least as good as a dedicated port, and could maybe be offered in a couple of sizes for the more popular gas journal sizes.BTW, that is a pretty sweet rifle, Boiler!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!