Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extractors

Downloads
    Uploads
    Because certain individuals can't accept the fact that theirs isn't the one and only true voice of the (perceived) gospel truth.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    Well, honestly, S30V is only as good as its temper, etc. I know absolutely dick about actually working metal, and I promise if you gave me the purest S30V with all the right tools, I'd hand you the crappiest knife you've owned, lol

I have bought BCG's other than Colt, but I had to upgrade them to get reliable function the way I wanted, to Colt specs. I now automatically trash any non-Colt ejector springs. I've seen ejector springs from BCM, Azimuth, Daniel Defense, and they are all DIFFERENT. Sure, they fit in the tunnel, but the Colt fits best, and produces the most reliable and crisp ejection.

Is this a big issue for most? No. but when you shoot high round counts suppressed, it's nice to EJECT casings instead of watching them dribble out of the gun or be hit by the BCG as it returns to battery because your ejection spring is weak. In the case of the BCM BCG, it resulted in stove-pipes after 4K rounds (*This was sent to a friend of mine to fix, I did not personally witness it, but know the parties involved.)

For extractor springs, Ken's "Green" spring gets the nod from me.

That's kindof my formula for making a gun RUN.

Sprinco action spring (Green if rifle/A5, Blue if carbine), Colt ejector spring, Ken Elmoore "Green" extractor spring. I then select the heaviest buffer that I get reliable lock-back with a DIRTY weapon using PMC .223 Bronze ammo with, and that also feeds the next round when initially fired with a full 30 round USGI magazine in the magwell, and 1 in the chamber, using same ammo. If I am on a budget (time or ammo), chemically de-greasing the BCG and upper with gun-scrubber serves the same as getting the weapon filthy. Fire a few fouling shots to make it gritty, and test. Since I use hotter ammo than .223 PMC Bronze for social occasions, this has worked just fine with plenty of margin of error. Build in any MORE margin of error, and you end up under-buffered/sprung.

Unless something is absolutely jacked up with your weapon in a physical sense, this puts things right.

I guess my point in all of this is that no, names don't mean a damn thing, but when you have a bunch of people copying an object, variance is bound to exist, and it's up to the end user to find the flavor that works. For me, Colt ejector springs WORK. So do their copper-wash extractor springs, but they are not as corrosion proof as the "Green". I spend a lot of time obsessing over tiny little details like this, and it's why I can run carbine courses without more than an initial application of MPRO7 LPX, shooting nearly 2000 rounds of Wolf, suppressed, and have a perfectly functioning weapon and a great time with no issues.

*Yes, I have even run the HK braided ejector spring in T&E under 240fps film. It's a really really sexy spring! But the Colt works just as well to better, IME
    J, you have a link for Ken's springs? I did a quick google search and his old website is kaput.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by radar707 View Post
    usually means ar15.com The Other Site
    AH!!! I see. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Because certain individuals can't accept the fact that theirs isn't the one and only true voice of the (perceived) gospel truth.
    That is pretty much my point that I was trying to make (didn't do a very good job)... I am not knocking 'mil spec' by a mile. Not even close... but there are a bunch of people making things that are to my knowledge technically NOT true mil-spec if you are talking about the letter of it. To my limited knowledge Fathom, Griffin, CMT, and probably a bunch of others have offerings that don't use carpenter steel...

I could be totally wrong but there were a number of people who were throwing out the whole lot because in their view it's 'not as good' or 'inferior' or whatever.

Truth be told I don't know a whole lot about specific working properties of metals. On one of those threads I've seen Griffin getting completely thrown under the bus for even offering a bolt that isn't carpenter steel. Now consider that for a while now I have been running that bolt and carrier that they've been bitching about...

It basically just leads me to think that having an open mind to new offerings isn't always a bad thing. I am generally pretty skeptical myself about some of the stuff I see but every now and then things work out just fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Din

What you are looking for is

http://www.specializedarmament.com

Part number in question
    SA42602

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, Dis.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by din View Post
    J, you have a link for Ken's springs? I did a quick google search and his old website is kaput.
    http://www.specializedarmament.com/p...-1087-292.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    AH!!! I see. Thanks!

That is pretty much my point that I was trying to make (didn't do a very good job)... I am not knocking 'mil spec' by a mile. Not even close... but there are a bunch of people making things that are to my knowledge technically NOT true mil-spec if you are talking about the letter of it. To my limited knowledge Fathom, Griffin, CMT, and probably a bunch of others have offerings that don't use carpenter steel...

I could be totally wrong but there were a number of people who were throwing out the whole lot because in their view it's 'not as good' or 'inferior' or whatever.

Truth be told I don't know a whole lot about specific working properties of metals. On one of those threads I've seen Griffin getting completely thrown under the bus for even offering a bolt that isn't carpenter steel. Now consider that for a while now I have been running that bolt and carrier that they've been bitching about...

It basically just leads me to think that having an open mind to new offerings isn't always a bad thing. I am generally pretty skeptical myself about some of the stuff I see but every now and then things work out just fine.
    Well, part of it is this...we KNOW milspec works, and we know how it works. It is a known quantity. We have all seen things that promise better, and deliver worse. The sharps reliabolt is a perfect example. S7. Broke left and right. Should have been better by a mile. Wasnt.

So, milspec is the easy button, so to speak.

I simply choose to T&E the snot out of something and THEN trust it. That has worked great for me. After a few thousand rounds, I begin to form an opinion of its long term viability. Stuff I have found that offers me value:

A5
    Springs action springs
    Azimuth qpq bcg
    Colt ejector springs
    Ken green extractor spring
    Badger g3 ch
    Badger bolt release

These things have all proven to work very well, but are not milspec necessarily.

Stuff I've had that sucked:

Rubber city armory bcg
    Azimuth ejector springs
    Milspec action springs on a dirty weapon in humid weather

Downloads
    Uploads
    I tend to go down a similar path as JGifford...MILSPEC is a known quantity. However...

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post

For the record, my comment had nothing to do with "MILSPEC" or any specific parts or parts manufacturing company.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have bought BCG's other than Colt, but I had to upgrade them to get reliable function the way I wanted, to Colt specs. I now automatically trash any non-Colt ejector springs. I've seen ejector springs from BCM, Azimuth, Daniel Defense, and they are all DIFFERENT. Sure, they fit in the tunnel, but the Colt fits best, and produces the most reliable and crisp ejection.
    When I started putting AR's toghether, I was told by a contract builder the only trustworthy small parts are Colt and RRA.
    Last edited by Joelski; 15 October 2016 at 08:42.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like qpq treated extractors. They seem to keep their crispness longer when shooting steel or high round counts of brass. I've literally never seen an extractor break that wasn't in a kb.
    Where are you getting the nitrided extractors from? Got a link?
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Where are you getting the nitrided extractors from? Got a link?
    Any azimuth qpq bcg I am aware of has em.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any azimuth qpq bcg I am aware of has em.
    I was just looking for a few spare extractors, not a BCG assembly.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I was just looking for a few spare extractors, not a BCG assembly.
    Reach out to azimuth. They are small enough they might

Downloads
    Uploads
    I called Sharp's today to find out what extractor material they're using right from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Turns out it's NOT C-158 (or perhaps not anymore?) but 4340.

Just thought I'd pass that along.
    Last edited by Aragorn; 17 October 2016 at 16:45.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    So something else all this has me wondering about. Extractor and ejector springs. Here, and pretty much everywhere else, extra power extractor springs always seem to be recommended. Is there any "balancing" that needs to be done with the ejector spring? I.e. if you go to a stronger extractor spring, do you need a stronger ejector spring as well? I was reading elsewhere that in some extreme cases an extra power extractor spring used with an insert and O-ring (which all sounds like overkill to me), that it would "overpower" the ejector spring and cause malfunctions.

I've used extra power extractor springs before from BCM, and I think Springco (I found the slip for one in my spare parts box), and I've just ran them with a black insert and no O-ring. Everything seems kosher. I've also ran BCG's where I haven't changed anything and it still seemed to run fine. I guess I'm just curious from an academic perspective.

Also how do you know if you even need an extra power spring? Ejection pattern? Is it just preventative to ensure positive extraction? I mean I understand you'd use one to cure weak extraction, but are there other reasons to use one? Also read that some of the aftermarket springs were adding a substantial amount of stress to the system.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler