Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally dialed in my SBR load

So, I finally got some free time to dial in my 5.56 SBR load. After picking up a number of the bonded 62gr soft points from RMR, I wanted to make a load that was efficient in my 10½" barrel. I did some reading on the intertubes about 'non-standard' powders. I wanted to find one that burned as complete as possible. Cross referencing what I read with Quickload, I narrowed it down to just a couple to try... IMR3031, IMR4198 and Alliant AR-Comp. All burned in the 95-99% range according to QL. Others I tried just for grins and giggles were Varget, CFE223, Benchrest, and H335 but they were no better than 88% complete burn.

I don't have a whizbang setup for testing, but using my Magnetospeed, a front benchrest only and a camera I was able to settle on the IMR4198 as my preferred load. I got the best FPS, and it was accurate, plus it seemed the least smokey with the can on, as told by my 'gas face'. The only issue was unsuppressed, I did not get BHO (it functioned in every other way tho). But, seeing as how my SBR has a dedicated can, and it ran flawless once I attached the can, I'm ok with that.

Name:  20161019_082248~01.jpeg
Views: 1335
Size:  180.6 KB

Never mind the single holes, those were later and unrelated to the testing. The upper group was the 10 round test, while the group on the bullseye was 5 rounds suppressed, all at 50 yards. The chrono info:

Series 6 Shots: 10
    Min 2315 Max 2404
    Avg 2335 S-D 26.4
    ES 89

Series Shot Speed
    6 1 2328 ft/s
    6 2 2331 ft/s
    6 3 2320 ft/s
    6 4 2316 ft/s
    6 5 2315 ft/s
    6 6 2326 ft/s
    6 7 2333 ft/s
    6 8 2354 ft/s
    6 9 2329 ft/s
    6 10 2404 ft/s

I had better ES and SD numbers when I measured by hand, but these were from my powder thrower as I wanted to see what 'real world' loading would produce.

My 2nd choice would be the Alliant AR-Comp, it was nearly as good but I rarely see it here whereas I see I4198 constantly. It ran about 100fps slower and the ES/SD numbers were greater, even with hand measured loads. Plus it seemed smokier with the suppressor on - I got more in my face (unscientificlly noted BTW) But a strong 2nd place. I all but eliminated the 3031 as I was getting beat up brass, even with loads that were not near the max... including ejector marks and a serious small dent on the neck/throat of the brass. Non of the others had these issues.

Now I get to start loading the 4k of the bullets I bought
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun