Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

What 3x magnifier you recommend?

Put a eotech exps-2 on my ar-15. Love it but, feeling is like add a magnifier on next. I'd like to stick to eotech but, darn its pricey. Not like the sight wasn't I guess. Seems allot of people are recommending vortex as a cheaper alternative. What do you guys think? Other thought is I were glass and with protective glass over eye relief seems it'll be an issue. Any input would be great

Downloads
    Uploads
    None. They all suck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, first, I'd question why you bought an EOTech after all the rather well-publicized issues.

Beyond that, the EOTech G33 is the best magnifier on the market right now. The Aimpoint 3X-C will have similar eye relief, inferior FOV and environmental protection, while the Aimpoint 3XMag-1 will have much better eye relief (an extra 0.5") and similiar FOV as the G33, and superior environmental protection.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Well, first, I'd question why you bought an EOTech after all the rather well-publicized issues.

Beyond that, the EOTech G33 is the best magnifier on the market right now. The Aimpoint 3X-C will have similar eye relief, inferior FOV and environmental protection, while the Aimpoint 3XMag-1 will have much better eye relief (an extra 0.5") and similiar FOV as the G33, and superior environmental protection.
    Ehh,

For the majority of owners, the EoTech issue will never be a factor. I still like my EXPS's for what they are.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    None. They all suck.
    I disagree. My G33 was 90% what my Nightforce 1-4 is. It was only 3x, though. Still, it worked very well. The worst I can say about it is that stray light was not managed nearly as well as in the Nightforce. Lots of internal glare if looking into a light source at night.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an eotech magnifier and at least as an aimpoint user with astigmatism, it sucks. The dot is a long slash. Based on the recommendation of my contact at Aimpoint, I purchased the new 3X-C magnifier a couple weeks ago and it gives me a perfect, crisp dot. The 1 degree field of view difference, depth rating, and temperature range are irrelevant to most civilians, and heck, it's half the cost of the G33.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Ehh,

For the majority of owners, the EoTech issue will never be a factor. I still like my EXPS's for what they are.
    True, the thermal drift issue isn't a huge deal for non-duty use, but given that the EXPS is also more expensive and has far inferior battery life compared to an Aimpoint Pro or Trijicon MRO, and has a pretty consistent anecdotal track record of being far less durable than the Aimpoints in general, I really don't get the rationale for getting one at this juncture.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I have an eotech magnifier and at least as an aimpoint user with astigmatism, it sucks. The dot is a long slash. Based on the recommendation of my contact at Aimpoint, I purchased the new 3X-C magnifier a couple weeks ago and it gives me a perfect, crisp dot. The 1 degree field of view difference, depth rating, and temperature range are irrelevant to most civilians, and heck, it's half the cost of the G33.
    My T-1 looked like garbage through the G33; My T-2 looks almost perfectly like a circle. I have noticeable astigmatism in my left eye, though it is corrected for in my corrective lenses; not too sure about the right eye, but there's no correction for it at the very least. I'll also note that the T-1 doesn't look that great even without the magnifier, while the T-2 and RMR RM06es I have look perfectly like dots unmagnified.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 21 October 2016 at 07:54.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    True, the thermal drift issue isn't a huge deal for non-duty use, but given that the EXPS is also more expensive and has far inferior battery life compared to an Aimpoint Pro, and has a pretty consistent anecdotal track record of being far less durable than the Aimpoints in general, I really don't get the rationale for getting one at this juncture.
    I'm not trying to make an Eotech vs Aimpoint argument, and personally I find lots more reasons to use an Aimpoint over an Eotech, but for the sake of completeness, Aimpoints have also been found to have a notable thermal shift, so IMO, that part of the argument goes out the window.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I'm not trying to make an Eotech vs Aimpoint argument, and personally I find lots more reasons to use an Aimpoint over an Eotech, but for the sake of completeness, Aimpoints have also been found to have a notable thermal shift, so IMO, that part of the argument goes out the window.
    I can't find the data right now, but it was my understanding that all red dots exhibit some thermal drift, but the Aimpoint drift was much less, on the order of only a couple MOA across the temperature range. Temperature also causes bullet velocity to change, so that doesn't help either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't find the data right now, but it was my understanding that all red dots exhibit some thermal drift, but the Aimpoint drift was much less, on the order of only a couple MOA across the temperature range. Temperature also causes bullet velocity to change, so that doesn't help either.
    Unfortunately I think the video got pulled and I'm not sure if it ever got reposted, but some guys did some tests with Aimpoints and MROs at a constant temperature but changed the temp of optics themselves. They tried to be very methodical about it because they knew there was going to be internet back lash. I don't remember the numbers, but their results showed that the AP had significant shift and the MRO had some but not a lot. They then reached out to Aimpoint and Trijicon for comment. Aimpoint wouldn't give them any info. Trijicon readily volunteered that there was some shift and provided the factory numbers.

Not disagreeing with you, Slippers, as it makes sense there will be shift. I just think Aimpoint has been very intentionally quiet about their spec while they watch their sales go up while L3 has dealt with all of the drama.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is my understanding as well; all optics will have thermal drift, that's just physics. The problem is that the EOTech exhibits a much more noticeable amount of thermal drift compared to its peers; the fact that L-3 lied about it doesn't do them any favors, either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the reply. So, what your saying is the 3x-c with eotech is a crisper dot and reticle. I found it on eBay $299 no bracket. Not imagining there to cheap with sts and qd. Which one would work for the eotech exps. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by splatterific View Post
    Thanks for the reply. So, what your saying is the 3x-c with eotech is a crisper dot and reticle. I found it on eBay $299 no bracket. Not imagining there to cheap with sts and qd. Which one would work for the eotech exps. Thanks
    No, my experience is with an Aimpoint and the 3X-C versus an Aimpoint with the G33. However, Default.mp3 commented that for him the G33 is fine with an Aimpoint T2, so it probably depends on several things like the specific red dot.

An Eotech should be crisp with any magnifier since it generally doesn't give people with astigmatism any problems.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What are peoples thoughts on the Samson magnifiers?

Downloads
    Uploads
    What about parallax-free myth, or fact? Aimpoint still claims that, although I thought that had been dispelled as impossible?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!