Downloads
    Uploads

Suppressor coating?

Does anyone know what kind of stuff they use to coat suppressors with? Specifically I am asking about a Griffin Recce 5.

Mine still looks pretty nice but I've got it pretty hot to the point where some of the coating stuff is wearing off. Generally I won't do more than 3 mags of rapid fire, but 2 or 3 mags on a 10.5 SBR gets that suppressor pretty warm. Of course it's not the end of the world or anything. It's 100% cosmetic and not really pressing but up the road if I ever decide to do it is there any type of coating material that I should look at? Or is that even an option?

I don't think paint or even cerakote can stand up to the 1000+ degree temps but who knows.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They used to use cerakote but from what I understand they are using KG Gunkote now.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    On Griffin's site, it says they use High Temp Griffin Endura-kote which is more durable than Cerakote (per Griffin), but I don't know of a specific heat rating

If you burn it off and want it coated, just get high temp grill paint, works up to 1200*

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    On Griffin's site, it says they use High Temp Griffin Endura-kote which is more durable than Cerakote (per Griffin), but I don't know of a specific heat rating

If you burn it off and want it coated, just get high temp grill paint, works up to 1200*
    Thanks! That is very good information to know. I will definitely keep it as an option when or if the time comes. 1200 degrees... not bad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ALl that info is old and needs update.

The story of switching coating is extremely long winded and was a complete pain in the ass for the couple years we dealt with it.

Long story short we are back to using Cerekote hi temp coatings. The Cerakote 2 part does not hold up to heat and the Cerakote hi temp does not really hold up well to surface rubbing. But we have found an application process to apply the hi temp so that it is both durable at low and high heat. This was after talking to people at Cerakote back and forth ad nausium and realizing they dont really describe the right process for applying the high temp in their literature.

But for the record we have used many coatings over the years it seems though we are sticking with Cerakote hi temp.
    Combat vet owned/operated company specializing in the design and manufacturing of industry leading silencers and firearms components. www.GriffinArmament.com PM for WEVO discount code.

Follow us on FACEBOOK
    Follow us on INSTAGRAM
    Follow us on YOUTUBE