Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cerakote Color?

Downloads
    Uploads

Cerakote Color?

I currently own 3 AR's that I have built which IMO are all built with top shelf parts. For some reason I have gotten it into my head that I want a "white" rifle. I have had this idea for years but have never gone through with a white cerakote job. I have planned out another high quality build, and am throwing around the idea of finally following through with a white cerakote finish.

My dilemma is that white has to be about the least practical finish unless you are in a part of the country that is under snow for a good portion of the year. Living in eastern PA, we get some snow, but am not buried in the stuff for 6 months. In my part of the country, the real best choices for a cerakote color would be in the OD or brown family. It just makes more sense. Since all of my other rifles are black, I am going to do some sort of different finish on this rifle.

Do I follow through with the white rifle and scratch the itch, or do I do a more practical color like Magpul OD or Chocolate Brown?
    Last edited by rxer311; 29 October 2016 at 17:31.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What would be your intention for the color scheme?

Basically if it's 'just because I want to' or there is really no pressing need for a particular color, I say go for it.

Never mind the idea that your gun will be ugly and look like something from Star Wars

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have more than one, and all are top shelf, may as well scratch the itch! Let the other two be more practical in color.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    What would be your intention for the color scheme?

Basically if it's 'just because I want to' or there is really no pressing need for a particular color, I say go for it.

Never mind the idea that your gun will be ugly and look like something from Star Wars
    White receivers and rail. Magpul gray furniture (maybe MFT gray furniture). All controls done in tungsten. I may do a red charging handle.

Here are the details of my planned build.

Rainier Arms forged lower, BCM stripped upper, SLR Ion 12" rail. I haven't decided on a barrel yet, however, it is going to be a 14.5" length. I may go for a Rainier Arms select 14.5" barrel (I had one before, cut it down to 13.7" and pinned a noveske pig on it after I had some pin and weld damage at the muzzle end...and I regret parting out that build). But I may also go with a Noveske Afghan or Infidel barrel with a pinned muzzle device.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Go for it! Since you already have some that are more "practically" colored, why not do a crazy one?!
    Graphic Designer
    Instagram: @EO3actual

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by EO3 View Post
    Go for it! Since you already have some that are more "practically" colored, why not do a crazy one?!
    I completely agree - I love my camo guns, and my black guns. My colored guns just bring me a smile every time. I'm in Central PA and pretty sure red, white, blue will never blend in - but I don't care.

(this line reserved as an excuse to post pictures to prove my point)

Name:  3_camo_beauties-3.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  1.15 MB

Name:  sick_pistols.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  973.8 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the moral of the story here is that it's ok to not always be super-tactical about everything. If it makes you happy then go for it. It's ok to be different.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you hate the colors later, you can always repaint your parts.

I think white camo would be sweet.

I do recommend painting the stock to match the set. And while you are at it, have your muzzle device match your offset furniture color if it will be partly under rail like the pig. It's a pretty bad itch right?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think a snow camo pattern would be pretty cool and could even be "practical" if you hunt late season. But, yeah, this is a hobby, not trade craft for most of us so there is no wrong answer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post

I do recommend painting the stock to match the set.
    I completely agree and it's my standard job now - just looks 100x more complete for little more $ on the customer side / effort on mine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Axlnut View Post
    I completely agree and it's my standard job now - just looks 100x more complete for little more $ on the customer side / effort on mine.
    Do you cerakote in central PA? If so we need to talk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I think a snow camo pattern would be pretty cool and could even be "practical" if you hunt late season. But, yeah, this is a hobby, not trade craft for most of us so there is no wrong answer.
    Sadly, there is no hunting with semi-auto in PA yet. There is a bill that just passed our house, but our governor will never sign it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Axlnut View Post
    I completely agree - I love my camo guns, and my black guns. My colored guns just bring me a smile every time. I'm in Central PA and pretty sure red, white, blue will never blend in - but I don't care.

(this line reserved as an excuse to post pictures to prove my point)

Name:  3_camo_beauties-3.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  1.15 MB

Name:  sick_pistols.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  973.8 KB
    After seeing your camo guns I want one of those now!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    After seeing your camo guns I want one of those now!
    WEVO wants camo #5 I think :-) I'm flattered

Yep I cerakote in Central PA, work out of East Waterford - hit me up in a message.

So seriously, I need to do two things, become a contributing member (so uh, where do we do that) and set up a WEVO members discount -

maybe even a WEVO specific camo?

Mods, who should I talk to on that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    Sadly, there is no hunting with semi-auto in PA yet. There is a bill that just passed our house, but our governor will never sign it.
    Adjustable gas block, close gas, and voilą you have a single shot rifle! Just sayin... :)