Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any Ideas for Something Different?

After my last build, I decided it would be my last. I even gave one away to a relative. I was going through a box of "stuff" Saturday, and lo and behold, I found a new stripped lower that I had stashed away, and most of the parts to finish it, sans a trigger. I was torn between just pretending I didn't see the stuff, but had the creeping feeling I wouldn't.

Problem is I have 5 AR's and a LR-10. All the AR's were purpose built, from as sturdy as a bull, to very light weight. All the AR's are 5.56. I'm kind of covered, and maybe a bit bored but I can't think of anything else to do. Any suggestions?

Here's what I don't want.
    No NFA stuff, I don't want to be married to it, and honestly, except for a can, just don't have a need for it. SBR's are out of the question.

Caliber. I gave away the last of my reloading gear when I bought my current home (a Condo) and just didn't want to fill a room with gear and my garage just holds my car, bicycle and trash can. Is there anything readily available that will shoot through an AR action, without reloading, and doesn't cost $50 bucks a box for ammo? .300 BLK doesn't really do anything for me, personally. I can't think of anything different and useful, but open to ideas.

"Theme" based guns. Nah. Just not my style. No builds meant to purposely look like it was meant for the set of Star Wars either. No 3 Gun type builds.

A friend mentioned an AR pistol, but just don't do anything for me either.

That sort of narrows the options to pretty damned thin, but if anyone has anything else they'd recommend I'd be glad to hear it.

Or maybe I should just put the stuff back in a box and save it for a future date, when politics may make purchasing a stripped lower hard to do, or impossible.

So if you're willing to share, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,
    FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 6 November 2016 at 18:35.
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    A SOCOM build sounds kind of nice to me. It's just expensive as hell to shoot.

You could also build a dedicated .22LR plinker. I think they have conversion kits that use standard uppers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I thought about that, but it get's back to the $50 a box ammo range. I'm kind of retired from hunting, so would only shoot targets and two legged critters that were trying to shoot me. Thanks. It's still an option that I can keep in my back pocket though.

FT
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    An AK, Tavor, SCAR or build a fancy Glock.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds to me like you hit the precipice of rifle building. Seems like you need a new hobby like photography or rock climbing. There is more to life than firearms, some of us just seem to have forgotten that. What else do you like to do?
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Based on all you shared, save it for the future.

Or consider a rimfire build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I vote for the AR pistol with a KAK Blade. Since you don't want to get into the NFA game, it's about as close to a SBR as you can get. 10.5 & 11.5" AR's are fun to shoot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    An AK, Tavor, SCAR or build a fancy Glock.
    Wake up GOST.... I don't have the skills to build any of that off of a stripped AR Lower
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking at your collection here...http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...s-Bi-pod-mount

Maybe a dedicated precision 5.56 rifle?
    Gas piston AR?
    .22 LR (as alamo & fledge previously mentioned)?

If you don't have your mind made up on anything, nothing wrong with having an extra lower available. I'd probably go ahead and build out the lower so you could swap uppers if needed. For example, I'll sometimes change to a different lower that has another stock & trigger on it for bench shooting/sighting in.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Wake up GOST.... I don't have the skills to build any of that off of a stripped AR Lower
    That's the point, put that lower up and try something new. Me personally I don't buy a lower and then try to think about what I can do with it. I come up with what I want then buy the lower, but that's me. I wouldn't just build on it cause you have it.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviantLogic View Post
    Looking at your collection here...http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...s-Bi-pod-mount

Maybe a dedicated precision 5.56 rifle?
    Gas piston AR?
    .22 LR (as alamo & fledge previously mentioned)?

If you don't have your mind made up on anything, nothing wrong with having an extra lower available. I'd probably go ahead and build out the lower so you could swap uppers if needed. For example, I'll sometimes change to a different lower that has another stock & trigger on it for bench shooting/sighting in.
    Yeah, and there's another, not in the picture.. So getting pretty boring. Gas Piston was something I had been kicking around, especially if I went the SOCOM route. Also, as you mentioned, I could just go ahead and assemble it and stash it away for a "who knows what" contingency.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 6 November 2016 at 19:30.
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    That's the point, put that lower up and try something new. Me personally I don't buy a lower and then try to think about what I can do with it. I come up with what I want then buy the lower, but that's me. I wouldn't just build on it cause you have it.
    I did have plans for that when I bought it, but round filed them. I've got more pistols, rifles and shotguns that I can shoot now. I was actually thinking about selling some of the stuff in the safe. Anyway, I didn't buy it to have if I came up with an idea for it. I might do like DL mentioned and just assemble the lower, and have it for whatever... I think that's a better idea than just leaving the lower stripped with all of the parts, unassembled, in the safe, or wherever.

Thanks,
    FT
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    6.8SPC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I want an ACR/Masada. Probably won't get one, but there's a lot of aftermarket fabricators making the gun what it should be.

Or have a fabricator make you a working copy of an XM-8 using a donor HK rifle as a base.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I vote for saving it for later. Sounds like you've reached AR saturation