Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I see both sides of this debate. While my use mirrors Alamo's, a lot of us wouldn't sneeze at paying $500 for a receiver set that has no impact on accuracy, so why the heartburn about a $500 barrel that can?

Regards to shooting out a barrel; are ya planning on taking it with you? Can you really say you enjoyed it sitting in the safe? NO! Use it like ya stole it! You just might learn something from your gun (besides I REALLY need to start reloading my own!).
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    The only reason you haven't is because you have like 200 guns to shoot
    But lets be honest here. How many guys do you know that own 1 or 2 AR's and maybe shoot 500 rounds in an entire year out of it? Not saying this is everyone, but I know guys that haven't even broken a bolt or worn out their gas rings.

500 rounds x 20 years = 10k rounds and you're not even half way to wearing out a CHF barrel.

I'd just buy the barrel that fit your budget and likes, since it's obviously not the OP's first or last AR. All 3 are good choices.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You know.... I'm sure if you give SMOS a ring and ask for Eric, there's a good chance they'd give you a nice WEVO discount on one of their new stainless barrels. I cannot personally speak of their accuracy as I don't own one, though I can tell you that they won't disappoint. So... that's another option for you!

*queue the SMOS fanboy/shill jokes*
    Graphic Designer
    Instagram: @EO3actual

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    But lets be honest here. How many guys do you know that own 1 or 2 AR's and maybe shoot 500 rounds in an entire year out of it? Not saying this is everyone, but I know guys that haven't even broken a bolt or worn out their gas rings.

500 rounds x 20 years = 10k rounds and you're not even half way to wearing out a CHF barrel.

I'd just buy the barrel that fit your budget and likes, since it's obviously not the OP's first or last AR. All 3 are good choices.
    That's where I'm at as well - it's not so much about poo-pooing an expensive barrel, they have obvious value, but like that $500 receiver set, it's a value proposition in regards to the whole. Usually if a buyer has decided they want a top of the line item, they wouldn't be considering a good, but lower cost option. They will shop at that tier.

If the question is "Noveske is good, RA in various trims is good, but will BA be 'good enough'?" The answer for most users is probably Yes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    After talking with Axlnut yesterday, I wonder how many of us know how to take advantage of a high end barrel. Do we know all the little details necessary in a build to make a precision barrel consistent? These are rhetorical questions that apply to me as well.

Conventional wisdom says that if you can afford to shoot out a barrel, then you can afford to replace it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And there in lies my problem. Do I need a "premium" barrel? No I don't. I have 2 rifles currently that I would describe as hard use rifles with Noveske chf barrels and another with a Large stainless barrel. My ability is not able to reach the potential of these premium barrels.

Admittedly, I like just building rifles as much as shooting them. Building is 3/4 of the fun for me. I do think the BA barrel will suit my needs just fine...but for some reason I just love the feel of a rifle built from top tier parts.

And barrel life means little to me as I have rifles barreled with barrels that will outlast me. It does, however, bring a value proposition compared to other barrels. I probably won't ever shoot it out anyway considering my other options in the safe.

I guess I just love the thought of the most badass rifle I can build. My practical side, though, says to rock a BA barrel and be happy with the cash in my pocket.

I guess I just want validation that a BA barrel is not junk.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    After talking with Axlnut yesterday, I wonder how many of us know how to take advantage of a high end barrel. Do we know all the little details necessary in a build to make a precision barrel consistent? These are rhetorical questions that apply to me as well.

Conventional wisdom says that if you can afford to shoot out a barrel, then you can afford to replace it.
    You're kidding, right? Some people don't even use a torque wrench!?! It's relative to how high your "Good enough" meter actually goes. I consider myself an overachiever simply because even though I did torque my barrel nut, the loud BANG! makes me extremely happy. I overshot my goal! I'm golden with my MOA.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    And there in lies my problem. Do I need a "premium" barrel? No I don't. I have 2 rifles currently that I would describe as hard use rifles with Noveske chf barrels and another with a Large stainless barrel. My ability is not able to reach the potential of these premium barrels.

Admittedly, I like just building rifles as much as shooting them. Building is 3/4 of the fun for me. I do think the BA barrel will suit my needs just fine...but for some reason I just love the feel of a rifle built from top tier parts.

And barrel life means little to me as I have rifles barreled with barrels that will outlast me. It does, however, bring a value proposition compared to other barrels. I probably won't ever shoot it out anyway considering my other options in the safe.

I guess I just love the thought of the most badass rifle I can build. My practical side, though, says to rock a BA barrel and be happy with the cash in my pocket.

I guess I just want validation that a BA barrel is not junk.
    I'm in the same spot. When I looked at Barrels for my Recce project, I had that expensive receiver set, yet almost choked to death on prices for barrels! What I did was go to the (excessively obscure) spec, which according to my source was "Match grade, Stainless barrel" Heavy contour came later, doesn't say whose barrel, nuttin. So, after reading specs until my eyes glazed over, I settled on the RA MedCon Stainless barrel. Good enough? for me, absolutely. For a SEAL Sniper, maybe not, BUT! We're talking an effective kill range of 600 yards, not a mile and a quarter, so does the sniper need more barrel for that? Dunno. Does it meet the spec? Yep. So the boxes are ticked for the purpose of the rifle and my mind can relax and stop obssessing over the latest, greatest widget that Bob made this morning. Anyway, that's what worked for me; hope it makes sense!

PS: My "Recce" is obviously not a modified SPR rifle as per NSW Crane spec, but its close enough for me and the parts were vetted with a real life, honest to goodness Navy SEAL! so Nyah!, purists can KMA!! :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I'm in the same spot. When I looked at Barrels for my Recce project, I had that expensive receiver set, yet almost choked to death on prices for barrels! What I did was go to the (excessively obscure) spec, which according to my source was "Match grade, Stainless barrel" Heavy contour came later, doesn't say whose barrel, nuttin. So, after reading specs until my eyes glazed over, I settled on the RA MedCon Stainless barrel. Good enough? for me, absolutely. For a SEAL Sniper, maybe not, BUT! We're talking an effective kill range of 600 yards, not a mile and a quarter, so does the sniper need more barrel for that? Dunno. Does it meet the spec? Yep. So the boxes are ticked for the purpose of the rifle and my mind can relax and stop obssessing over the latest, greatest widget that Bob made this morning. Anyway, that's what worked for me; hope it makes sense!

PS: My "Recce" is obviously not a modified SPR rifle as per NSW Crane spec, but its close enough for me and the parts were vetted with a real life, honest to goodness Navy SEAL! so Nyah!, purists can KMA!! :)
    You didn't help me decide

Downloads
    Uploads
    You didn't help me decide
    Some day I know sure as hell I will buy an Ultramatch barrel just because it will then be of the caliber of the rest of the parts on the gun. Until then, I don't feel a bit bad going with the Rainier MedCon for $200 less. Silver lining: Barrel for a new build!

Oh and there's those Fathom Arms Barrels we've been waiting on for a while.... Damn... 2 more rifles!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well Holy Crap! A whole bunch of things just went my way. I told my wife that the only thing I wanted for Christmas was an Apex club membership to Rainier Arms. She told me to go ahead and sign up. I then proceeded to place an order.

My barrel has been decided...
    Rainier Arms 13.7" match (Rock Creek 5R barrel)
    Fortis Stainless gas block (also added gass block pinning service)
    BE Meyers Flash hider

Not only was it on sale...but I got the Apex discount on top of the sale prices.

I honestly can't believe that I got all of that for $360, shipped.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well Holy Crap! A whole bunch of things just went my way. I told my wife that the only thing I wanted for Christmas was an Apex club membership to Rainier Arms. She told me to go ahead and sign up. I then proceeded to place an order.

My barrel has been decided...
    Rainier Arms 13.7" match (Rock Creek 5R barrel)
    Fortis Stainless gas block (also added gass block pinning service)
    BE Meyers Flash hider

Not only was it on sale...but I got the Apex discount on top of the sale prices.

I honestly can't believe that I got all of that for $360, shipped.
    LOL... I called it, buy the barrel that fits your budget. You got all that for less than the price of just the Noveske Barrel.

Personally, out of the list you put out, I would have purchased the UltraMatch RA. Noveske is a close second, because their barrels come with gas tubes and pinned gas blocks, make it a slightly better deal when you add that up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a fan of Rainier Barrels.

My next one will be an UltraMatch (either 16" or 18"). Currently running the Match versions in the same lengths and am very pleased. Only difference is 7oz in weight between the two!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I'm a fan of Rainier Barrels.

My next one will be an UltraMatch (either 16" or 18"). Currently running the Match versions in the same lengths and am very pleased. Only difference is 7oz in weight between the two!
    I think over time the Shilen blanks are more consistent. The Match line, the blanks have changed over the years. The Rock Creek have been good to me, and the best of the match line RA has put out IMHO. I believe they are going to be discontinued when their supply of blanks are exhausted though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, this is now not happening. Rainier Arms had their stock levels wrong and I am not getting my barrel. Back to square 1.