Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eotech

Downloads
    Uploads

Eotech

When discussing Eotech sights, what are your thoughts?

I used to own 2 Eotech sights (a 512 and a 516) and I got rid of them after the recent controversy. I switched over to Meprolight and Aimpoint for my red dot needs, with the Meprolight RDS edging out the Aimpoint for my personal preference of an all around good quality red dot.

I like these options, however, I find myself missing the reticle of the Eotech sights. I have terrible astigmatism in my dominant eye, and for some reason the 1 MOA circle dot reticle does not distort like a single dot does. I am not sure about the reason, however, the reticle of the Eotech just worked for me. I do think they were over priced in relation to the competition and their business practices are on the shady side, but I have found myself being pull back towards possibly purchasing another one if I find one at a decent price.

My question is whether it is worth it to jump back into Eotech. Are the issues with thermal shift as bad as advertised? When it comes down to it, many of our armed forces units have used Eotech for years, and some units still are until a suitable replacement can be found.

So putting the shady business aside, is the Eotech still a useful sight given the specified limitations laid out by the manufacturer? Is the Sig Romeo 4 M or the holosun a reasonable alternative, or is Eotech still a better quality optic? I know that the brand has lost a tremendous amount of respect that it once had, but is it still a good option for somebody who just happens to really like the reticle?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I fail to see how, if the Eotech worked for you just fine before you knew there was any problem, why it wouldn't work just the same now. Also, keep in mind that the Aimpoint has thermal shift, as well, and it's not insignificant. Aimpoint just doesn't like to publicize it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Eotech

Retracted.
    Last edited by fledge; 13 December 2016 at 07:34.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I fail to see how, if the Eotech worked for you just fine before you knew there was any problem, why it wouldn't work just the same now. Also, keep in mind that the Aimpoint has thermal shift, as well, and it's not insignificant. Aimpoint just doesn't like to publicize it.
    Good to know. I was wondering this as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    That statement is misleading. ALL optics exhibit thermal shift. Materials expand and contract based on temps. The problem was Eotech claiming theirs DID NOT exhibit thermal shift.

And I for one had horrible issues with the garbage they sell. Battery compartments failing, blinking during recoil even with the supposed repaired ones, and moisture intrusion on a magnifier. The only two I still own are of the rimfire version on my kids Hotshot's. Even they are garbage that will not mount to a dovetail they are designed for correctly.

I always wondered how they could issue such crap to our armed forces and LEO's.

I have had fantastic luck with all the Aimpoints and consider their cheapest red dots far superior to any Eotech. I am really liking my MRO for the cost though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The battery compartment has been an issue for me with a couple of 512's back in the day.

I still run like 3 EXPS's and they work well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My XPS-2's were the ones blinking on recoil. Fine on a 5.56 but on a few shotguns and a 45-70 lever gun they would black out each time it was fired or the illumination would go to full brightness. The last time they actually replaced them. Since they were new I sold them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you tried the Trijicon TA44, similar reticle with etched glass so it doesn't get distorted from astigmatism
    I have a severe astigmatism and these are crisp. I prefer the red reticle, plus no batteries/electronics to fail

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    That statement is misleading. ALL optics exhibit thermal shift. Materials expand and contract based on temps. The problem was Eotech claiming theirs DID NOT exhibit thermal shift.
    It's not misleading because not all RDS have the same level of issues. Eotechs had some measurably significant shift. Aimpoints also had a measurably significant shift. MROs (which, for the record, I do not own and don't really care to own) had measurably less shift (but as you have pointed out, still had some shift).

I agree, Eotech didn't openly admit the gravity of the shift. But guess what, neither has Aimpoint (and again, FTR, I tend to use Aimpoints, so I'm not picking on them specifically). Meanwhile Trijicon came out and openly admitted there would be some shift on their MRO.

At the end of the day, though, only the end user can determine how much this matters. Based on what I've seen, it matters less than what the average shooter can manage 100y and in.

I always wondered how they could issue such crap to our armed forces and LEO's.
    Because you're not fully understanding how .mil requirements work. Eotech met the requirements as tested. Were there flaws? Yep! But they weren't brought out until later. Now the requirement/contract has been modded (ie, now there's acknowledgment of a shift) and it's back to business. Right or wrong, this isn't abnormal within the enterprise. Annoying from the operator's standpoint? Absolutely, but not unheard of.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a 512 for a few years and had good luck with it but I ended up selling it to get a variable power scope. I've been considering getting another EOTech because I like the reticle, but now I'm not sure what I'm going to go with after having the battery compartment fail on my cousin's 512 while we were coyote hunting a few weeks ago. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth...

Downloads
    Uploads
    FYIW, I've had an Aimpoint M68 that lost power due to a problem with the battery compartment. Happened at a very inopportune time.

It may be that optic designs where the battery compartments are in-line with recoil impulse are more prone to power failures... At least that's been my personal and observed experience.

I've also seen older Eotechs that have been mounted on machine guns and dropped out of airplanes functioning perfectly, so go figure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like many, I have a love/hate relationship with EOTech. I prefer the reticle, but have seen more EOTech failures than any other duty type optic. I did keep an XPS around, just because. If you elect to go EOtech, check it often. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Sig Romeo 4M. The FBI supposedly picked some up, but until there is some feedback from field use who knows.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
    Have you tried the Trijicon TA44, similar reticle with etched glass so it doesn't get distorted from astigmatism
    I have a severe astigmatism and these are crisp. I prefer the red reticle, plus no batteries/electronics to fail
    They are nice. The $1K price isn't.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I dislike the reticle of Eotech. I prefer a single aiming point with illuminated optics.
    I also had an Eotech begin de-laminating while sitting in the closet. I think I had 50 rounds on it, and maybe 2 days outside the safe. It went on the shelf in the closet for a year, and when I took it out next time, it was starting to dim in certain areas of the screen. Eotech did at least fix it fast and free, though. Still, it kindof took the "Eotechs only suck online..." thing and made it personal, for me.

(EXPS3-0)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    They are nice. The $1K price isn't.
    I got mine for $700 just gotta search around. The deals are out there.