Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Repeating myself, home defense negates a lot of budget options. A quality barrel, upper with proper feed ramps and a proven bolt carrier group are the most essential parts. You could assemble a trustworthy gun with cheaper handguard, sights, lower reciever etc. and defend your loved ones lives with it. IF, IF, IF assembled properly. You have no way of knowing if Joe armorer at the local gunshop would do it right.

The major brands that don't cost beaucoup bucks and are overwhelmingly approved of via countless hours of use by the military or top civilian SMEs are Colt, LMT, and BCM. Colt is mid-tier only in extra features. The base 6920 is mil-spec and has every single part inspected. I have other factory uppers just as dependable, Noveske, Centurion, But they cost more. Sionics is a new company that I trust only because I know the guy behind it is one of the most knowledgable in the business.

I can't think of another factory built (affordable) besides these I would have as a primary defense gun.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    I second GOST's options. Particularly if you compare the price between the Aero OEM vs Colt OEM. You could almost finish the Aero OEM build for the price of the Colt OEM.

If you're looking for some free float rails, ALG makes some at a decent price.

And as an extension to what Stone said, if the gun shop has a range (or your range has rentals) see if you can throw some rounds down range with one or two so you can get a general feel for things you want/don't want in your rifle.

At the end of the day, whatever you decide, make sure you put in all the research beforehand for what you want. Last thing you want to do is end up buying something and having buyers remorse.
    Find my photos on: Flickr, Facebook, Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    FNH has a decent lineup of entry level rifles. Looks like they are using Mega's rail now.
    http://www.fnamerica.com/products/ca...5-tactical-ii/
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.