Downloads
    Uploads

Colt Competition confusion

Cabela's has a new "Colt Competition Series" rifle that they say is "made exclusively for Cabela's by Colt". To the best of my knowledge "Colt Competition" is actually a company called "Bold Ideas" out of Oregon that manufactures rifles in Texas and that licenses the Colt trademark. In the past, their receivers have had a Texas rollmark and a stamp that has text like "licensed by Colt". The Colt Competition rifles have generally gotten good reviews but Colt had no hand in making them.

However, it appears these new models have a "Colt Manufacturing" rollmark from Connecticut (I found one for sale online where this is visible and have one source saying this is true for the Cabela's rifles). The picture on the Cabela's website only shows the right side but there is "licensed by" engraving.

Anyone know what is going on? Did Colt Manufacturing actually produce a rifle called the "Competition"? Is Bold Ideas now assembling rifles on Colt produced lowers (which would be a bold idea, for sure, but deceptive IMO)? Has the relationship between Bold Ideas and Colt changed? Between Colt's marketing incompetence and Cabela's reputation for mistakes on their website I really can't tell who actually makes these and I have a suspicion that is exactly what was intended.

In the end, I really don't care either way, but I'm curious.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not a Colt. Still manufactured under license. Seen a few of the Colt Competitions at a shop recently that were using a Typical Colt forged lower without the intergral trigger guard so not sure what's up with that. Likely oversold their supply of the other lowers and substituting whatever they can get.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That model is being made under license in Breckenridge, TX as I recall. It's not a "real" Colt.
    Owner/Instructor- Semper Paratus Arms
    www.semperparatusarms.com

Master Armorer/R&D- SIONICS Weapon Systems
    www.sionicsweaponsystems.com