Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

SMOS Precision build

Howdy y'all, been awhile since I posted. After getting to know the absolutely awesome folks over at SMOS, I fell in love with the company, and love the way they do business. I am already a Noveske fan boy, and as I love the Gen 3 design, I decided to go with SMOS for my next build. This is a high end, precision-driven build. It features the SMOS builder's set with 13.6" quad rail, and a Rainier Arms 18" ultramatch barrel in intermediate gas. Other parts will include a Young National Match BCG, Syrac adj. gas block, Geissele SSA-E trigger, assorted Battle Arms Development parts, and Vltor A5 buffer system. It will also wear my SilencerCo Saker 762, and will all eventually be topped off with either a Vortex viper pst 2.5-10x32 gen 2, Nightforce 2.5-10x32, or maybe some other high-end optic. Now for pics of what I currently have-

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good Barrel Choice!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking forward to this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, fellas

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ordered a Mega Arms Slidelock charging handle, ASR brake, and a Superlative Arms bleedoff gas block. The concept seems interesting, so I thought I would give it a try.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're using an 18" with intermediate gas, even with a can I doubt you'll need an adjustable gas block. I would have gone rifle gas.

Nice looking gun though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    If you're using an 18" with intermediate gas, even with a can I doubt you'll need an adjustable gas block. I would have gone rifle gas.

Nice looking gun though.
    Funny you mention that, Stick. Last night, after a few drinks, I started thinking about that. Especially if I'm running the A5H buffer system, I might run into reliability issues. I might just cancel it, and grab a Geissele.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The 2.5-10x32 FFP Vortex you mentioned is nice (I have one), but the FFP is unnecessary at that low of magnification and the reticle is, for most folks, too small to see below 5x (and is razor thin on 2.5). If the Nightforce is SFP, I'd go that route or look at the PST 2.5-10x44

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I were building a precision build I would go for more than 10 power, I like to clearly see bullet impact on paper at 100 though. For .223/5.56 really need around 14 or more power IMO to see it on paper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for y'alls input, I appreciate it. I am young, and I have fantastic eyesight. As such, 10 power is more than adequate for me, even to see hits on paper at 100yds. At my budget, anything more than 10x power is just too damn big and clunky looking to me. I really really lust after the leupold Mk6, but that is wayyy out of my price range haha.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Geiselle Charging handle and gas block on their way. Once GB comes in, it and the Young NM bolt will be sent off with the barrel back to Rainier for headspacing/ pinning

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Jared View Post
    Geiselle Charging handle and gas block on their way. Once GB comes in, it and the Young NM bolt will be sent off with the barrel back to Rainier for headspacing/ pinning

Pinning the Geissele GB to the barrel?

If so, did you specifically ask RA if they can do it? Last I checked, RA can't do that, they don't have a jig for the Geissele block.

Downloads
    Uploads

SMOS Precision build

I wouldn't pin. Set screws are sufficient. And get a go / no-go gauge to check headspace yourself. Savings in cost of shipping will pay for it and you'll have a gauge for the future.

Conventional wisdom also says to not drill or alter a precision barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    I wouldn't pin. Set screws are sufficient. And get a go / no-go gauge to check headspace yourself. Savings in cost of shipping will pay for it and you'll have a gauge for the future.

Conventional wisdom also says to not drill or alter a precision barrel.
    Eh, depends.

Duty gun, absolutely Pin, I've seen more than a few GB shift and turn the gun into a single shot. I think I only have like 3 or 4 guns without pinned GB's.

Precision Rig that only sees the range and the GB is under a handguard, you can get away with it.