Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone heard of color dying magazines?

Here is an article that just hit my inbox... I figured at least someone here might be interested in this.

Click the link to see the results of using Rit Color Dye (a test of 25 different colors) to dye sand color magazines.

http://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/ritd...eid=dde00e83c2

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have done this. It does work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    I have done this. It does work.
    Some of the colors are fugly but I could definitely see a use for this. Some of it could be practical and other stuff could be asthetic.

It looks like an interesting project for a rainy day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    yeah, I think this was one of the reasons that Magpul introduced the sand color magazines.

BTW, I hear you can spray paint them, too. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    yeah, I think this was one of the reasons that Magpul introduced the sand color magazines.

I wouldn't want to spray paint mine but then again I'm just a plain Jane kind of guy.

I wonder if magpul sells sand color base plates? I could dye those and have my mags color coordinated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I wouldn't want to spray paint mine but then again I'm just a plain Jane kind of guy.

I wonder if magpul sells sand color base plates? I could dye those and have my mags color coordinated.
    Dude...

https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag...-gen-m3-5-pack

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah...dude

Downloads
    Uploads

Believe so - think that was the reason why they also decided to discontinue their line of colored PMAGs as this provides alot more options.
    Find my photos on: Flickr, Facebook, Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Believe so - think that was the reason why they also decided to discontinue their line of colored PMAGs as this provides alot more options.
    What's been d/c'd besides foliage green?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dude! Thanks! I might give it a go a do a few base plates so if I ever go to a public range I can keep track of my stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    What's been d/c'd besides foliage green?
    All colors except for black.

Magpul came out with an article ... circa 2 years (?) ago. Said they aren't producing anymore colored mags. So what you see now, is whatever is left from distributors/dealers.

Unless they said they were restarting the colored line; but that would be news to me then.

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Dude! Thanks! I might give it a go a do a few base plates so if I ever go to a public range I can keep track of my stuff.
    Dude ...

they make muddy girl wraps for that purpose
    Find my photos on: Flickr, Facebook, Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe the actual issue with the colored mags was that the dye process would yield less strength/more brittleness to the polymer. Black and no color (ie, netrual/Sand) didn't have these issues. The FDE/tan PMags were the worst, according to Magpul. As a result, they stopped the color mag production and offered the Sand color so that it could be dyed/painted any color but still have the highest strength/most ductile property.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Must be a hell of a stockpile.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I believe the actual issue with the colored mags was that the dye process would yield less strength/more brittleness to the polymer. Black and no color (ie, netrual/Sand) didn't have these issues. The FDE/tan PMags were the worst, according to Magpul. As a result, they stopped the color mag production and offered the Sand color so that it could be dyed/painted any color but still have the highest strength/most ductile property.
    This is my understanding as well.

Most of the PMAGs I've broken are FDE.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Doesn't break my heart... Magpul is becoming more of a Corporate entity, which could be their ultimate demise. Many larger companies have deviated from their original mission and been left sorely wanting their former success. SKU's, Logistics, all the dollar bill-speak of the bigtime. This is why there are no masadas, yet plenty of T-shirts and former staple items are being cut to make more belts. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't have to be a loyal customer if they don't offer what I want.

From another forum:

Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    No later than the end of 2014, you will be able to buy all PMAGs in any color you want, as long as it's black. All magazine skus, just black. Unless you have Cerakote, aervoe, krylon, a dip, or duracoat--then you can have any color you want.

It's a matter of demand vs logistics. Non-black magazines are a very small part of demand, and maintaining inventory, materials flow, and reformulation/updating have all contributed to this move.

Mag material isn't exactly the same as stock material, and if we reduce the number of raw material mixtures (mag colors) that we continually improve, we can devote more energy to the next generation of material.

Furniture will be unaffected, and will be available in colors.