Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

The offset buffer retainer

So I've noticed a growing issue with all of my AR's in which the buffers are becoming pitted around the edges as a result of over-travel allowing them to slap the buffer pin. This is apparently a result of tolerance creep and while it doesn't affect all rifles obviously, it does tend to be more prevalent in rifles assembled from a variety of parts sources which is pretty common among folks here. We've all probably seen this discussed on other sites, but I've not seen it here, so if it helps somebody, then fine.

I have gone back and forth on this regarding a risk of possible lock-up vs. the possibility of never breaking a retainer and decided $15 is pretty cheap insurance, not to mention why beat the snot out of a $50 H2 buffer when its not necessary? Good enough for me; I bought several. Pretty compelling and ingenious, actually. Fits the credo.

http://commonbullets.com/wp/archives/1727
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting. I like the concept, but so far I haven't noticed damage like what's posted.

I do have a couple of guns where the buffer does have a little wear though. Lately, I've been more irked at the fact I have to go through sometimes a dozen buffer retaining pins before I find one that will fit a receiver that's been cerakoted. I almost wish someone made one that was smaller than spec by a few hundredths.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually have a Mega Gator that beats the buffer face up pretty good. I first thought it was due to a piston kit I was running but it continued when reconfigured as a DI rifle. It appears to be an incorrect angle more than location. Going to order a few of these.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Interesting. I like the concept, but so far I haven't noticed damage like what's posted.

I do have a couple of guns where the buffer does have a little wear though. Lately, I've been more irked at the fact I have to go through sometimes a dozen buffer retaining pins before I find one that will fit a receiver that's been cerakoted. I almost wish someone made one that was smaller than spec by a few hundredths.
    I started plugging the buffer pin hole for that very reason. Wound up taking one down to raw aluminum due to coating build up. Rather leave the hard coat in place.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for sharing.

Downloads
    Uploads

If ya got ambitious, you could ream the coat out with a dowel and emery cloth. According to a downstream post, these are now made from SS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This actually sets up nicely. The offset will definitely contact the carrier instead of hitting the pin. Took 4 minutes to swap parts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you sure the buffer is hitting the pin on each cycle? It's very easy to check. As you close the upper and lower together look at the buffer as the rear of the bolt comes into contact. You should see a small gap between the retaining pin and buffer face right before you completely close the receivers.

Most of the time the marks on the buffer face around the circumference are caused by a burr on the rear of the bolt carrier, along the edges of the slot cut out for the retaining pin.

The retaining pin isn't very strong. It'll shear right off if it's taking full impacts of the buffer.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another option I've never actually tried, never felt the need, but:

https://www.leitner-wise.com/product...uffer-retainer

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you staking, destaking, then restaking the castle nut?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Axlnut View Post
    Another option I've never actually tried, never felt the need, but:

https://www.leitner-wise.com/product...uffer-retainer
    Thanks. I thought these guys were done.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a job for Roger! Calling Duffy! We got a 911 in the retaining pin world. A heavy duty nitrided BRP fix is needed. Seriously, I know he could hit this out of the park!
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm with Slippers; my buffers only touch the pin when the bolt is out of place. I looked at two of my rifles just to verify. This was the best picture I could get:

Name:  IMG_9901.JPG
Views: 4229
Size:  1.21 MB

I feel like the pin would break being contacted by a returning buffer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Exactly. And your buffer has some wear, which is from the rear of the carrier.

I would find the actual problem part and replace it before using that weird alternative retaining pin, even if it was the receiver.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not super beat-up yet, but you can see where it's hit and there was wear on the pin as well. It's a battle kitty receiver so I don't think its really a quality issue there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cjd3 View Post
    Are you staking, destaking, then restaking the castle nut?
    Ever see a rifle tube back out d/t not being staked?