Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Aero Precision M5 / JP 308 Build

I assembled my AR308 build over the weekend:

Highlights include:
    Aero Precision M5 receiver set, LPK, CH
    JP Rifles 18" rifle length gas .308 Supermatch stainless steel barrel with black teflon finish
    SLR Rifleworks ION 16" Ultra Lite KeyMod
    SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 adjustable gas block
    Griffin Armament Taper Mount Comp (for the Recce 7 that I don't have...but a fella can dream and plan ahead, right?)
    B5 SOPMOD Stock (OD)
    Ergo Deluxe Tactical Grip (OD)

The build has been strait forward. The only real trick was getting the (not-included with receiver) capture set screw that retains the rear take-down detent pin spring installed (after trimming 6 or 7 coils from the spring). This is different on the M5 lower than a standard AR in that the spring comes down and is retained by the pistol grip if you don't use the set screw. Since dealing with one detent spring when changing grips is enough, I went to ACE and spent 40 cents on the #4-40 x 1/8" set screw.

Unfortunately, it's not quite ready to shoot as I don't have a Bolt Carrier. I hit the wall with my budget so am saving pennies to acquire the JP LMOS Carrier. It also needs a match trigger and I plan on eventually switching over to the JP Silent Captured Spring. The installed trigger is, I think, from my LMT. The trigger that came with the AP LPK actually wouldn't fit without removing the safety selector and I didn't want to mess with that. The other trigger I had on hand was just a tiny bit shorter and fit w/o removing the safey selector.

This is my first SLR handguard and I'm quite impressed. I like the BCM KMR mounting a tiny bit better but this is a very close runner up, IMO (and if someone told me they liked it better than the KMR system, I wouldn't argue). I was a little annoyed once I realized I should have ordered the barrel nut wrench at the same time I ordered the handguard so that lesson cost me and extra $7 in shipping.

Once I get the JP LMOS Carrier installed, the rifle should check in under 8 lbs 2 oz (no mag or optic). I'm pretty happy with that, as it is 1 pound heavier and 2 inches longer than my precision .223 build (with 18" WOA SPR barrel) and close to 3 pounds lighter than my PTR91K which is my only other .308. (granted, I replaced the polymer Navy lower with a surplus steel lower on the PTR, so that doesn't help). Also interesting to me is that this M5 build with 18" barrel is shorter than my PTR91K with 16" barrel. The collapsible stock helps, but it's even shorter if you measure from the trigger forward mainly because the G3 has a long receiver and action.

I'm really looking forward to finding out if the JP barrel lives up to the reputation. I have to say that the matching bolt that came with the barrel is beautiful. Unfortunately, it will probably be a few months before I am able to shoot it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Look forward to hearing how she performs. I've got friends that won't use anything but JP barrels.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    You might want to consider a different bolt carrier. No forward assist serrations on JP large frame LMOS carriers.

Nice build you have started.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    You might want to consider a different bolt carrier. No forward assist serrations on JP large frame LMOS carriers.

Nice build you have started.
    Thanks. Two considerations for me: 1) I'll probably also pick up an Aero Precision nitride BCG when funds are available and I find one at the right price, and 2) I suspect I'll move the JP and SLR bits over to a 2A Xanthos receiver set (which doesn't have a FA) within a year or so in order to have a nice light weight AR308 setup for hunting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, build has been complete for a few weeks and I've done the tedium of barrel break in. Fouling appears to have been pretty minimal. Here it is at the range yesterday:

Note that I've switched the trigger out for a CMC 3.5lb flat thanks to a sale at Primary Arms.

For break in, I've just been running my PST 1-4x24. Most of my range time yesterday was on ladders for my .223, but I did shoot 10 rounds of Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr SMK. Below is a 5 shot group @ 100 yards (ignore the 3 small holes from confirming zero of my RDS on a different carbine):

The last two holes in the bottom right were shot to round out total shot count (20 rounds total so far). They are also about .6 apart, center to center.

The PST has a 1 moa center dot, so I'm pretty impressed that I could pull off that group with that optic. It certainly bodes well for the rifle. I'm also pleased with the CMC trigger. Most of my ARs have Geisseles so I'm generally a 2-stage guy. It will take some more trigger time before I really decide on which I prefer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice group, guy. I quite "breaking in" rifles a long time ago. Maybe I should start again. I have several rifles with CMC triggers and am pretty fond of them. As soon as the weather breaks around here, I need to go run 20 or 50 rounds through my LR-10. Finally solved a problem with mine after a long period of just letting it sit. I just hope I can get groups like that. Probably need to run a couple of boxes of premium ammo to see how well it will shoot, then switch to the cheap AIM surplus stuff. Glad every thing worked out so well for you.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Love the single stage CMC's. Great groups for that optic for certain.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nicely done Boilerup. I'm wrapping up an LR-308 build myself, using some of the same parts. Well at least the upper and lower are the same. I went a different route with my barrel forward. Also I will be using an SLR rail. It's a nice looking build with a nice grouping to boot. What optic do you think you'll end up with?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Made it out to the range for a bit this evening, on probably what is the nicest day we've had in Seattle since September. Since last update, I've acquired an upper receiver lapping tool and trued up the upper. I was having to dial in considerable elevation when mounting scopes sighted in for other rifles (part of why I love Bobros). Today, I borrowed my Viper HS LR from my .223 SPR and barely had to touch the elevation. I was mostly shooting mediocre ammo (American Eagle and PPU) to dial in the scope, but the wind picked up suddenly and got quite gusty, to include blowing over my targets. I did manage to get this last group of the evening during a lull in the gusts with 5 rounds of 168 gr FGMM at 100 yards (front a rear bags off a bench):

Well under an inch even with the flyer. I've only got about 40 rounds through this thing so far but I am really liking it. I have a LaRue MBT on the way that I'll probably drop in, but I continue to like the CMC trigger, too.

I've picked up a set of Forster dies and some Lapua brass and various match bullets, including Scenars, so I am looking forward to learning how far I can push this JP barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    JP LMOS BCG with POF roller cam

Downloads
    Uploads
    First hand loads out of the JP. If this keeps up, I'll be buying more JP barrels. The 3-shot group below was the best from the ladder. Actually, I think it was my best group ever. From anything. I'm generally not impressed by 3-shot groups, though, so I'll load up some more and see what I can do with 5 or 10 shot groups. 100 yards, off bags.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, nice groups and great looking rifle.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Wow, nice groups and great looking rifle.
    His gauge is covering the fliers

But dude... a 3 shot group?! C'mon man!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    His gauge is covering the fliers

But dude... a 3 shot group?! C'mon man!!
    I wasn't gonna call him on 3, haha. Ay least he's posting.
    I still need to hit a range this year that's longer that 50!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    American rifleman accuracy test. Shoot 20, pick the best 3. Lol