Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey, everyone knows that the best 3-shot group out of 10 is the ultimate proof of a rifle's accuracy and a shooter's ability.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like the Magic varget is doing its work..

Did you chrono them loads?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Looks like the Magic varget is doing its work..

Did you chrono them loads?
    Yeah, I'd heard it's hard to mess up a 308 load with Varget (these were my first ever .308 loads).

I don't own a chrono yet. I'll probably buy a MagnetoSpeed Sporter in the next few months.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice , ya varget seems to be a good one, I also had good luck with imr 4064 when I was developing loads a while back

Forgot to ask you shooting up at MRC?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mustang, I shoot at Cascade out in Ravensdale.

OK, lest my integrity be questioned, here are the results with 10 rounds using the same load as above (Lapua virgin brass, CCI 400 primers, 45.4 gr Varget, Hornady 168gr BTHP, COAL 2.78)

I'm not quite sure what to make of the fact that 6 out of 10 shots made about a 0.5 MOA group (lines are half inch apart, creating 1" increment concentric circles) but then the other 4 are about 1" lower. None of those were "called flyers" but I was getting off the rifle for about 2 minutes between each shot meaning I had to reset (off bags) for every round. I'm currently using a Viper HS LR 2.5-10x32 FFP in a Bobro QD that I normally keep on my 18" 5.56. I know I loaded a few of the rounds with shorter COAL than intended. I'm going to give a COAL of 2.80 a try and also see what the SMKs do.

A similar load in once fired Federal brass gave promising results, too. The first 4 rounds went in the same hole, shot 5 was the top left flyer (not called), and 6 was the top center. These were all shot "round robin" so there were about 5 shots from other rungs on the ladder between each shot plus cooling time, so those 6 rounds were shot over about a 45 minute period where 30 rounds total were fired (before the 10 rounds above). As you can see from the target, I experienced a light rain shower in the middle of the process, too.

I'm new to reloading so this is a learning process for me, but I'm having fun and very much enjoying this rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very Good Shooting. I could live with that. I'm sure they'll tighten up the more you work up your loads.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Latest results with 168SMKs (4 shot groups, round robin)

Looks like a sweet spot between 44.0 and 45.0 gr.

My color coding system matches up the target IDs above

Nothing quite like having the range to yourself

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since I got my 308 done I'm wanting to get into reloading. Any good beginners sets I should look at getting?
    "And now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off." -Big Jake

"All the Gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you." -Joseph Campbell

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
    Since I got my 308 done I'm wanting to get into reloading. Any good beginners sets I should look at getting?
    I am a fan of Hornady, and the new Iron Press kit is darn good start up set.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good topic , and you should start a thread, I'd say for just starting out and getting use to reloading a good single stage like a Rcbs rock chucked or a Lee is a good start..Many choices

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good topic , and you should start a thread, I'd say for just starting out and getting use to reloading a good single stage like a Rcbs rock chucked or a Lee is a good start..Many choices
    Quote Originally Posted by cjd3 View Post
    I am a fan of Hornady, and the new Iron Press kit is darn good start up set.
    Thanks for the help so far.
    I'll probably start one. I didn't want to highjack a thread.
    "And now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off." -Big Jake

"All the Gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you." -Joseph Campbell

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a beginning hand loader myself. I just started this past winter. I almost picked up an RCBS package back during the black Friday/holiday sales, but Midway put the Forster Co-Ax press on clearance price (best price I'd ever seen on one) and off I go. My interest in reloading is primarily to achieve the accuracy potential of a few of my rifles, such as this .308, so going with Forster made sense anyway and I had the budget. Not a lot of reloading discussed on this forum.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use Lee stuff merely because that is what has always been around. I have investigated getting more and more stuff though. It all depends on what you want to do. If you are going to be reloading a little for say accuracy loads or if you want to be able to crank out 1000 9mm rounds...

naturally everyone says they want it all but what you get and how you set things up matters. a lot is trial and error. The type of equipment in my mind isn't always as important (meaning brand names) but some set ups allow for faster turn around times and whatnot.

I am a long time reloader. I think from the time I started shooting pretty much I have been reloading. I remember doing it as a kid too.

The more important thing at this phase is to get a knowledge base down of how things act and react and then do a little trial and error to fit your specific needs.

You might even want to find people who DO reload and go check out their setups and see what you like. Everybody is a little bit different.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. Start a thread. I would start it with information about HOW things function first and then go down to a secondary topic about what tool or tools are the better ones to make that happen. If you are just starting out having a basis in understanding the dynamics of your components is a bigger deal at this phase. Taking that approach will save you money in the long run because you can at least in theory build a set up with various tools for reloading and get 'closer' to being right 'for you' from the get go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, I am now accepting input on an appropriate optic for this build. Pictured below is my M5 .308 build with a Vortex Viper HS-LR that I've borrowed from my .223 Wylde SPR-ish / precision recce rifle. It misses it's glass and wants it back.

I'll primarily be shooting 600 yards and in. I know that 10x is fine for that, but I want a bit more juice, at least 14x, maybe as much as 20x. My problem is that I hate weight yet want "tactical" features. Also, my low end Swarovski Z3 has spoiled me on good glass, so I don't think I can do another Vortex Viper. I have two Vipers and they are great all-around packages for the price, but I want better glass for my .308. Budget is $1,000 - $1,500, give or take.

The current front runner is the new Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50. Excellent Schott glass, decent reticle options, 103MOA of vertical, 22 ounces, and I can get preferred pricing that gets it in my budget.

Also under consideration:

Nightforce SHV F1 4-14xx50 but I'd like a bit more magnification and I hear the glass isn't a good.
    Sig Tango4 4-16x44 or maybe the Tango6 3-18x44. Look like good overall packages but heavy
    Vortex Razor 5-20x50 - looks good, I can get a vet discount, weighs a ton so not seriously considering
    Vortex Razor LH 3-15x42 - razor glass in a light weight package, vet discount makes it very affordable, but a 1" tube and capped turrets

Suggestions / thoughts?