Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    NF ATACR 4-16x42 F1.

Yeah, I know. Budget. But it is a great 308 gasser optic, since I believe it was designed for the csass competition. 30oz, little heavier than you want. But the turrets are to die for, especially the zerohold elevation turret.

On your list I'd be tempted to give the tango4 a try. The shv is pretty good, too.

Or go deep and get a s&b ultra short 5-20 since it actually is the csass optic. Haha!
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was going to say ATACR as well, but above his stated budget.

Boiler, I thought you were in love with the Vortex HS line?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I was going to say ATACR as well, but above his stated budget.

Boiler, I thought you were in love with the Vortex HS line?
    I'd actually be pretty content with the Viper HS LR 4-16x50 FFP w/ XLR reticle for this rifle, but I'm in a position where I can spend a bit more and this rifle is performing well enough where I feel it warrants it.

I still hold that Vortex Viper glass is an excellent value for $400-$500 mid-range glass, especially given the warranty. The PST line adds great tactical features for another bill or two. I got my Viper HS LR 2.5-10x32 FFP (pictured above) for a steal at $350 back when Vortex was discontinuing the line and I'd be pleased with my purchase if I had paid $500+. It's a great fit for my .223 SPR. I also really like my Viper PST 1-4x24 (for a $450 scope). I've got a Diamondback HP on a 10/22 and I doubt I could ever bring myself to buy anything that cheap again.

My Swaro Z3 is my best scope right now. For an $800 scope, pretty much all that money goes into the glass as it really has no additional features besides the ZRH reticle. It's a hunting scope, but I can look through that thing all day. My eyes ain't what they used to be, either. That new Zeiss V6 looks like a great compromise between hunting and tactical for my needs. Give up a few "tactical" features in trade for better glass and light weight. I was eyeing the new Leoupold VX-6HD line, too, but I think the V6 knocks that out.

I'll probably be building up a long range bolt gun in a few years and that's when I'll be looking at upping the budget. When that time comes, the Razor AMG is probably the front runner, but I also really like the Kahles 6-24 and the ATACR will be in the running as well.

The Sig Tangos seem to be getting pretty good reviews and they're already coming out with a new generation, but the track record just isn't there yet.

I guess I should have added Trij Accupower 4-16x50 to the list, too. I keep going back and forth on those. I can get attractive pricing on those, but I'm not a huge fan of the available reticles and there are some pretty unfavorable stories floating around regarding their CS. But they do seem like they "belong" on an AR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Waiting for these to be back in stock. Basically an American made M5Xi for 1/2 price.

http://www.eurooptic.com/5221-Steine...-Tac-Knob.aspx

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Waiting for these to be back in stock. Basically an American made M5Xi for 1/2 price.

http://www.eurooptic.com/5221-Steine...-Tac-Knob.aspx
    That certainly fits within my stated criteria, except it appears to only be available in mil and I'm an MOA kind of guy. I thought the American made Steiners were getting a bit of trash talk, though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep in mind that a lot of scopes are made in the same factories and have the same glass, so it comes down to the warranty, turrets, aesthetics, and any other features you value. For instance, the viper pst and sig tango4 lines are made by Scopro Optical in the Phillipines. The razor and tango6 lines are made by Light Optic Works in Japan. Nightforce and Trijicon also use Light Optic Works.

If you look at the vortex and sig product lines you'll notice that they mirror each other for magnification/objectives. They're basically the same scopes as far as the glass is concerned.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry Aero Precision, but my AR308 just lost a pound. 7 pounds 2 ounces now

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The chatter in other threads about the AP M5 has motivated me to post and update. After buying the Xanthos receiver set, my M5 was incomplete until I couldn't pass up a screaming deal on a BHW .260 Remington barrel. I decided to move my JP barrel back over to the M5 and I mounted up the .260 on the Xanthos as that's what I'd likely take to the field for some long distance shooting / hunting if I ever get time and inclination (we have the opportunity here in WA to hunt black tail when they migrate out into the plateau/Columbia Basin in Eastern WA during the winter - I'll probably never do this, but a boy can dream).

So, here is where we currently stand w/ the M5:

Regarding the optics discussion, I did pick up a Zeiss Conquest v5 3-18x50 but I put it on the .260 Xanthos build. I should probably do a separate thread on it but i need to get more rounds through it and work up some loads. Here it is:

The .260 distracted me from my .308, too, so it still has a very low round count, but initial load workups was very promising so I plan on spending more time behind it at the range this fall. Especially once I can get my Griffin Paladin in my hands, which has been a bit of a fiasco and I'm waiting for my THIRD request for a duplicate copy of my approved Form 4. Right now my 18" 5.56 w/ Recce 5 is about the most fun I can have on the bench.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice rifle boiler, but that xanthos set needs a real stock.. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Nice rifle boiler, but that xanthos set needs a real stock.. :)
    I usually move an STR onto it when I'm shooting from the bench, but the MFT is fine for the field.

What would you recommend? I'm trying to keep the weight down.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pre-reaction rod test fit. Really happy with the way this is turning out. Gonna slap on a Magpul 'pod and figure out what optic to start saving for.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    What would you recommend? I'm trying to keep the weight down.
    A SOPMOD would look good and is worth every extra ounce. If not, a Bravo, or an ACS-L would shave an ounce or two and still get you a hell of a nicer stock than the MFT. That's like putting steel wheels on an AMG SLR.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Pre-reaction rod test fit. Really happy with the way this is turning out. Gonna slap on a Magpul 'pod and figure out what optic to start saving for.
    Looks awesome brother!

Completely agree with you on suggesting the SOPMOD and ACS-L, have both on AR-15’s and really like them. Also Boiler not sure on your length of pull preferences, but the ACS-L is a little longer than the others mentioned if you like not having to extend the stock as much or if you want one that fully closes on an A5/Armalite buffer tube.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Remy 260