Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Duffy, do you prefer crush washers over shims?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have a preference between the two, I do what the manufacturer recommends. A shim kit would add cost to the product so I'm not keen on that idea unless we can get these kits at a decent price.

The Army field manual, part of which that deals with the A2 installation has been "re-purposed / borrowed" is on the 6315 instruction card, says: tighten a minimum of 90 degrees, but no more than 450 degrees to align center of the middle slot with the post of the front sight assembly.

That "more than 450 degrees" was mentioned must mean someone actually did that lol. Crush washers can be a pain sometimes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    I've timed a couple of my A2 flash hiders with shims with the intent of mounting a can to it. But i never got an A2 compatible can. i'd REALLY love to see SilencerCo release an A2 compatible MAAD mount for their Saker series.

I just use a crush washer normally. Roger's product is so nice (and again, i'd really like to use it as a suppressor mount sometime in the future) that i'll probably use shims.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking good. We approve!
    Cory
    Marketing and Operations manager for Tyrant Designs CNC
    "Recreating Innovation"
    WWW.TYRANTCNC.COM
    cory@tyrantcnc.com
    (847)-447-0378

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you :)
    We're making some last minute changes to the 6315, these changes will carry over to the 6310 as well. The wire cutter notches will be slightly deeper, they're fairly shallow now, though they're deep enough to line up a cable 0.20" in diameter.

We're at the very beginning of the 6315's development cycle, if it proves successful in the market, more material and suppressor mount options will be made available. If they're made into suppressor mounts, they'd ship with shim kits, not crush washers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Correction, the material is 4130, as specified by TDP.

A crush washer is included. We can't very well advise not to re-use a crush washer on the instruction card, and not include a new one
    Gotcha. Still elevated Chromium and Molybdenum but not very rust resistant.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We'll be doing some testing this weekend with the ones we have. Production units will be slightly different, not very noticeable by naked eyes. Larger inside port openings and deeper wire cutter notches, the general characteristics can be tested with what we have.

We'll end up with couple dozens of "old" 6315s we'll keep on hand for giveaways and stuff

The current wire alignment notches work well, they hold a 0.2" cable without undue movement. I'd like to keep the cable more secure once aligned, thus the notches will be slightly deeper.

Last edited by Duffy; 19 January 2017 at 16:39.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    I know the question was directed at Duffy but in all honesty I think it just depends. Crush washers are easier to use but shims are much better for a suppressor mount.

If you're not going to put a can on the gun I don't really know the benefits of a shim set. So that would leave crush washer the winner for general non suppressed use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was directed at Duffy to see if he has an opinion, because he's always got some technical reason brewing.

I always use shims of some form. It's easier for me. I don't see the advantage of a crush washer, personally.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I learn this from you guys, and from the same sources over the years I agree with Alamo5000.

Suppressor mounts don't always ship with a shim kit, Battle Comp does with its BC 2.0, but ships a crush washer or no washer at all, probably for the same reason, they made the 2.0 to the same dimensions as an A2 because some suppressors require it.

The reason I understand is crush washers don't get compressed evenly and can tilt the muzzle device on which the sound suppressor is mounted. In the case of some Surefire suppressor mounts that slip over the barrel, a crush washer won't even work, as its outer diameter is larger than that of the barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like to use Precision Armament Accu-Washers.

https://www.rainierarms.com/precisio...ignment-1-2x28
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    We can have a mandatory option, choices of a crush washer, or a cost added shims set. That way it'd be convenient for folks to choose and have what they need shipped in one package.
    Last edited by Duffy; 20 January 2017 at 08:37.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    We'll be doing some testing this weekend with the ones we have. Production units will be slightly different, not very noticeable by naked eyes. Larger inside port openings and deeper wire cutter notches, the general characteristics can be tested with what we have.

We'll end up with couple dozens of "old" 6315s we'll keep on hand for giveaways and stuff

The current wire alignment notches work well, they hold a 0.2" cable without undue movement. I'd like to keep the cable more secure once aligned, thus the notches will be slightly deeper.

Looking good, Roger! I can't wait to get a few of these on my guns, old version or not!
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I like to use Precision Armament Accu-Washers.

https://www.rainierarms.com/precisio...ignment-1-2x28
    Same here. I use when I need more than 2 thin shims.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good news: 6310 (5/8 x 24 TPI) will most likely be ready at the same time as the 6315

Armalite's A2 is longer, 6310 is the same length as 6315 at 1.8", it only has a different thread pitch and bullet exit hole diameter.

The heavy rain this weekend precludes us from testing it, but it's just as well. I want to test the latest prototype anyway, the current version is likely to exhibit similar characteristics but we need to test them side by side, along with an A2.