Downloads
    Uploads

10/22 Subsonic Project

I built a 10/22 a while back from some left over parts that were given to me. Once I get my ducks in a row I will finally finish up my Kidd 10/22. I already have the reciever and trigger and a few sundry parts, just need a barrel and so forth to complete it.

That however will leave me with two 10/22's.

I was thinking about taking the one that is made out of left over parts and trying to tinker with it until it will cycle the subsonic ammo being offered. Even with my 9mm can with .22 end caps on it with that CCI subsonic stuff it's just ridiculously quiet. It's pretty much a pellet gun.

I've tried some of the heavier grain (45 grain) subsonic ammo and the gun will cycle that stuff but not reliably (but way better than the CCI). The CCI stuff that is I think 740 fps is by far the quietest stuff out there. I think it's 40 grain pills with a light load behind it.

If I was going to accomplish that goal to cycle that ammo reliably I think at worst I would have to sacrifice the charging handle/spring mechanism. I haven't priced them out but I would figure at best they would be a $20 part.

Now has anyone ever done that kind of modification before? Anyone know where to find info on doing that kind of mod? Basically I need to make that spring strong enough to hold the bolt closed and send the bolt and next round home, but while still reducing the power enough so that weaker ammo can fully blow it back open.

At this point it's just a thought but it's something that could be interesting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you gone to rimfirecentral.com? The people there are pretty knowledgeable and good about answering questions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by schambers View Post
    Have you gone to rimfirecentral.com?
    Yeah. And I got banned after like 5 or 6 (total) posts. They removed some of my posts because they said they were 'political' and when I questioned why the moderator banned me. I might be un-banned by now but I have little use or desire to go to their forum.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Yeah. And I got banned after like 5 or 6 (total) posts. They removed some of my posts because they said they were 'political' and when I questioned why the moderator banned me. I might be un-banned by now but I have little use or desire to go to their forum.
    How many forums have you been banned from?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had a few bannings. Does that mean I'm a bad person? LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Just be patient, alamo will give you a 5-paragraph synopsis of his complete internet banning history.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    That was my first and only one

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I've had a few bannings. Does that mean I'm a bad person? LOL
    Mine was a fluke. You on the other hand... LOL

Some dude was asking about suppressors and the conversation turned to 41P/41F. A whole group of us got our posts taken down for questioning Obama and Hillary (even gently at that). My mistake was when I had the balls to ask 'can someone tell me what happened to my posts?'

The mod dropped the hammer and gave me a 30 or 45 day ban and said 'if you don't like it...leave'

Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Just be patient, alamo will give you a 5-paragraph synopsis of his complete internet banning history.
    I write when I care. In this case, not so much.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Iv'e only been banned from the San Francisco Chronicle forums for triggering before it was in .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Don't really know what to say about that...

To try and answer your question: I'm no 10/22 expert but from what I understand about how the 10/22 functions, you can only really effect a few things in regards to cycling subsonic ammunition:

- reduce the weight of the bolt
    - reduce hammer spring weight
    - recude recoil spring weight
    - eliminate as much friction as possible between the moving pieces IOT reduce the amount of energy required for the bolt to cycle back and forth.

Here are some posts from rimfire central on the topic. This is mostly copy-paste so formatting may be weird:
    -- The third option chamfering the bolt, polishing the bolt and making sure that the receiver is free of crud and broken in. Dry lubes often work better in 10/22's than wet lubes.

-- I'd also try different mags. Broken in Mags will use less energy to strip the round from the mag.

-- All of my 10/22's will devour any subsonic round with boring regularity. I would polish your bolt well on all 4 sides, as well as the face of the hammer, and any other rub points.

-- I lighten bolts... The max they can be lightened is 10%... So if you need a number to work with, 10% is it...
    No problem shooting subsonic or standard velocity fodder with lightened bolt... New replacement bolt assembly is about $30 from brownells, so if you lighten one and it don't do what you need, its not the end of the world...
    From another forum:
    -- Radius the rear of the bolt so it can more easily overcome the resistance from cocking the hammer.
    A lot of people call out CCI specifically for un-reliable cycling, no matter what they do.

*edit* you may also want to check out Gemtech Subsonic Ammunition. 42gr @ 1020fps

Downloads
    Uploads
    Volquartzen also makes, or at least used to sell a bolt, recoil rod and spring to cycle rounds that shoot under 1000fps. I don't know if the kit is intended to work with and without a suppressor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will think on it a bit and see if it's something I might want to pursue or not. If it's going to be a royal pain in the ass I might just not mess with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Could you port the barrel like they do with integral guns to make full velocity ammo subsonic or does that not work with a regular silencer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk