Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Daniel Defense rail systems

I am currently in the market for a new rail system and have narrowed it down to the Daniel Defense free float 9.0 length. My question is regarding three different rail systems:

9.0 M4 free float handguard

9.0 Omega free float

Lite rail 9.0

All three rail systems are relatively similar but I am curious which ones you all have either owned, still own, or have at least used. What your impressions. Any major differences between the three. If you had to choose, which one would it be and why!
    Adversity introduces us to ourselves

Facebook: Loess Hills Tactical

Downloads
    Uploads
    take the omega if you dont want to modify your rifle. its a "drop in system"

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you can remove your Flash hider then the Lite probably makes the most sense. Only reason to go with the Omega is if you can't remove the FSB to replace the barrel nut. The M4 costs the same as the Lite so it why not go lite?

Downloads
    Uploads
    There will be no FSB...just a Vltor low profile gas block! Out of the three the Omega would cost me about $25 less! I'm kind of leaning towards the Omega unless a convincing argument for something else comes up!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it means anything to you, the Omega will allow a continuous top rail so there wouldn't be a gap. That's if it is a deal breaker or not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The continuous rail was an added bonus. All three appear to be high quality so I do not think there really is a wrong answer here. One, I don't remember which one, uses a 6 bolt system which looks very solid.

Downloads
    Uploads
    While the traditional school of thought has always been that the free float option reins supreme, the advent of the Omega really changed the ground rules in this regard. Some will still favor the conventional configurations, of course, but the Omega really offers most of their advantages, without the liability of being more or less a permanent installation. You're still getting a functional "free float" solution either way.

You're likely correct in that DD doesn't really provide any "wrong" answers to this question, but I tend to think that the Omega has altered the basic question quite a bit, and these days, it is probably most instructive to ask "why wouldn't the Omega meet my needs?" There aren't many substantive answers to that particular question.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some benefits of each
    OMEGA - Easy install without modifying your upper.
    M4 - Wider to fit cans & KX3 inside.
    LITE - If you know how to rebarrel your upper, this is your best bet. The barrel nut (which is steel) can be torqued to exactly what you want. Bolt up system that is the sturdiest in the business. One piece for additional strength.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well put! I couldn't agree more! The Omega appears to provide ease of installation, rock solid set-up, and is not permanent. The continous top rail is also very nice. I will post some pics once everything is set-up. Thanks for the help.

Downloads
    Uploads
    John,

Your reply came in seconds before mine! That is good information to know.

Iowa is a non-can state, unfortunately, so I guess the M4 is off the list!

As for re-barreling my upper I do not have any experience in that area..yet!

As things stand right now I think I will be going with the Omega. Thanks for all of the input. I know I learned quite a bit!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Policetacteam View Post
    The continuous rail was an added bonus. All three appear to be high quality so I do not think there really is a wrong answer here. One, I don't remember which one, uses a 6 bolt system which looks very solid.
    That would be the Lite.

The Omega clamps onto the barrel nut with 4 Allen screws. The 4 Allen screws then press against the barrel nut. That would be it's weakest link.

The M4 has a threaded ring that traps the proprietary barrel nut. Then the rail screws on and uses index pins to align it.

The Lite also has a proprietary nut but uses a mounting plate with hex bolts rather then threads and indexing pins for the rail.

DD M4

DD Omega

DD Lite

Downloads
    Uploads
    jeffy,

You are killin me man! The explanation along with the pictures explains quite a bit. Now I'm back on the fence. Lite or Omega. Removing the gas block would not be difficult I'm just curious how much of a difference I would notice, if any, between the two. There is obviously the price which is of some concern but not a huge factor. If anyone has used the Omega can you advise if the set-up is rock solid or is there any play or wobble. Just curious.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've installed many of all three. Of the 3 I'd go with the 9" Lite Rail.
    VA Arms Co FFL/SOT armorer
    certified HK-sidearms/S&W M&P/BUSHMASTER/GLOCK/SIG-Sauer LE/FNH-SCAR armorer
    competitive shooter sponsored by VA ArmsCo, W.A.R. rifles, BravoCoUSA, BCM, Bobro Engineering, Magpul, Magpul Dynamics, Hatfields Gunsmithing and Greeley Custom

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm strongly considering it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Provided that I were in a situation where a pseudo-permanent solution would best meet my needs, I would certainly agree with the Lite recommendation. If the level of surety is somewhat lower, as is so often the case when we see these kinds of questions asked, I'm sure that we would agree that the Omega gives us a better removable option than we've ever had in the past. Pretty much any DD solution is going to more than meet the need, but defining that need is often the most difficult part of the process.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.