Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    Pro tip: Mobil 1 full synthetic is also odorless. JUST SAYIN!
    Well, now you chime in... Just ordered a 16oz. spray bottle of EWL from Amazon! Special price on same day shipping!!. Mobil 1 would definetly be cheaper, but is it non-toxic? (another pre-requisite since I'm using it in the house), and will it work as a CLP also? If so, that might be the way to go, another time. Not one gun or sporting goods store in this whole area stocks SLIP products. Wasted a whole afternoon driving around looking for it. Freaking Hoppes and Rem oil at all but one which carried Shooters Choice. You'd think at least the big chains would offer a choice.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    Pro tip: Mobil 1 full synthetic is also odorless. JUST SAYIN!
    Until you shoot the gun, then it smells terrible and doesn't go away when you get home even after cleaning. I tried switching to it, but with suppressors it wasn't good.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, Amazon came through with the same day delivery deal, now I have 16oz. of the stuff to test it (EWL) out with. Not looking forward to cleaning all AR/LAR's, plus bolt action, .22's, shotguns and pistols to remove Frog Lube and clean and re-lube them all. Not looking forward to that at all. Should have a good grasp on how I feel about it after all of that.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I replaced my EWL with Go-Juice 6mo ago. Both work well, GJ is just more corrosion inhibiting, is the main thing I noticed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ^^^ Really? Interesting, I'll have to try it.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't tried ALG Go-Juice yet, but I've heard a lot of good things about it.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    I replaced my EWL with Go-Juice 6mo ago. Both work well, GJ is just more corrosion inhibiting, is the main thing I noticed.
    How was corrosion giving you problems. I don't have corrosion problems with any products that I've tried. However, in N.KY our weather doesn't cause a lot of corrosion problems. I've been camping and have had numerous weapons - at different times - in the tent or trunk of the vehicle, and it does create a lot of humidity, but I just use a thin wipe down of a good protector, on the firearms to prevent any kind of corrosion. I realize that your situation is unique to your environment, useage, etc. and you may have a whole different set of issues to deal with.

Were you having corrosion problems using EWL? You stated GJ is more corrosion inhibiting. Are you still having corrosion issues, but to a lesser extent than you did with EWL?

Just curious, as I would think under fairly hard use EWL, or any good CLP should inhibit corrosion, used judiciously? If you're hunting in the rain for several days, I could see any CLP failing, eventually, if you don't wipe down and reapply once back in camp. Or if you're former MIL and you humped your gear for two or three days in the rain, using a pancho for a tent, how corrosion might be a problem.

Not doubting your findings, just curious.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 31 January 2017 at 12:41.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    How was corrosion giving you problems. I don't have corrosion problems with any products that I've tried. However, in N.KY our weather doesn't cause a lot of corrosion problems. I've been camping and have had numerous weapons - at different times - in the tent or trunk of the vehicle, and it does create a lot of humidity, but I just use a thin wipe down of a good protector, on the firearms to prevent any kind of corrosion. I realize that your situation is unique to your environment, useage, etc. and you may have a whole different set of issues to deal with.
    SwissyJim had posted a link some time ago showing a corrosion test using many popular lubes and Slip was a very low performer when exposed to the elements, especially on unfinished metal. How much that actually applies to "you" is obviously a different matter.

Because I've shot a lot of corrosive ammo out of one of my ARs, I've kept an eye on it while using Slip EWL. I've found that as long I've cleaned the ferric surfaces, there hasn't been any noteworthy corrosion, but if not all of the corrosive material has been washed away, Slip doesn't really do anything to combat it. I found this to be the case in both SOCAL (which has surprisingly higher amount of humidity than many think) and in FL, where I think the sun drips water in the summer.

Slip still wins for me for it's other properties, so I keep using it and just make sure I clean well on the salty gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    SwissyJim had posted a link some time ago showing a corrosion test using many popular lubes and Slip was a very low performer when exposed to the elements, especially on unfinished metal. How much that actually applies to "you" is obviously a different matter.

Because I've shot a lot of corrosive ammo out of one of my ARs, I've kept an eye on it while using Slip EWL. I've found that as long I've cleaned the ferric surfaces, there hasn't been any noteworthy corrosion, but if not all of the corrosive material has been washed away, Slip doesn't really do anything to combat it. I found this to be the case in both SOCAL (which has surprisingly higher amount of humidity than many think) and in FL, where I think the sun drips water in the summer.

Slip still wins for me for it's other properties, so I keep using it and just make sure I clean well on the salty gun.
    Immediately after seeing that you responded to this, I assumed you were going to be talking from an environment with a bunch of ocean spray in the air. Sort of the extreme difference bettween SD and China Lake, or further north up into the San Jacinto's or crossing the saddle into the Nellis bomb range. Totally dry (most times) air. I think SJim is on are very near the ocean, too, if I'm not mistaken. In that case, both of your situations are in the "extreme" or "near extreme" category, given the salt water issues you both have to deal with.

Since I'm just starting with EWL, I'll keep a close eye on my weapons, for corrosion. We do get lots of humidity in the summer, but 99% of the time, everything's in the safe in a controlled environment, dry and cool. I wish I knew ahead of time that EWL was not a good corrosion protectant before I ordered a 16oz. bottle, but I guess I'll just keep a close eye on things and see how things go.
    FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 31 January 2017 at 13:27.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't say salt spray is the issue, more just plain humidity. In my previous post, I was talking about the salts from the corrosive ammo, which is certainly an extreme case, but one Slip EWL wasn't designed to combat from the get-go, so I can't blame Slip for any issues there.

That said, I use Slip EWL on all of my conventional rifles/pistols and have had zero corrosion problems that couldn't be attributed to sweat and/or rain exposure. And that's with a significantly lazy cleaning schedule on many of them, so I would use what you got with few concerns. You made a good choice.