Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Starting a Pistol/SBR

I have had a Black Rain Ordnance lower sitting around for a few months since I bought a few lowers just in case before the election. I started collecting parts to build a 10.3" 5.56 upper using my BRO lower as my pistol lower.

Well I got to thinking that I will probably finally jump into the SBR game. I will build the pistol first and then submit my form 1 for an SBR.

I have one single issue. The BRO lower is nicely machined, fits an upper great, and has great anodizing. I also really like the roll mark. The only thing that it is lacking is a beveled mag well. I tend to overthink everything I do so it is kind of bothering me. Do I really want my only SBR lower to have a non beveled mag well. Should this even be something I should consider? Everything else with it is top notch.

Just build the damned lower or try and flip it for a different lower like a Spikes ore Aero with a beveled mag well?

My other extra lower also does not have a beveled mag well and I really don't care for the roll mark either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you mean it doesn't have a flared magwell?

I personally believe if you only have one SBR lower to make it a quality forged lower.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is a quality forges lower. It just lacks the flared mag well. Everything else is top notch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They don't seem to really make much difference in reloading to me...

I've never missed a reload because a particular lower DIDN'T have a flared lower...

And I've also fumbled a few reloads where having a beveled mag well WOULDN'T have suddenly made the reload successful.

But, if you love the lower and want it beveled, get ahold of Axlnut. I'm willing to bet he could do that for you.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    It is a quality forges lower. It just lacks the flared mag well. Everything else is top notch.
    Roger that. I thought it was the billet version.

Practicing mag changes will benefit you 1000x more than any *features.*

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post

But, if you love the lower and want it beveled, get ahold of Axlnut. I'm willing to bet he could do that for you.
    Was reading through and about to suggest the same - if it truly bugs you, post up a picture or shoot me a PM, I can't find the lower in a Google image search, but can most likely help you add a nice bevel job.

If you're going to SBR it, like Fledge said, make sure it's what you want. Don't let something bother you about a build to which you are adding a $200 premium.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I am going to try and flip it and buy a nice Mega or similar quality lower with a beveled mag well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know I said forged lower first, but consider a CMT lowers as well (you'll eventually need to SBR lowers anyway :)). CMT excellent, not flashy, work with a variety of uppers, and CMT uppers that match come in a wide variety.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    I think I am going to try and flip it and buy a nice Mega or similar quality lower with a beveled mag well.
    The only one of my AR SBRs that has a beveled mag well is my Gen 3 Noveske. The rest are all basic forged, bevel-less lowers. I never even thought about it until seeing this thread, i had to go check them all. It's a non-issues for me. But like others have said, if it's going to be your one and only SBR, make sure it's what you want.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like Forged Lowers for SBR's only because there are many more uppers that match up well with them. Billet Lowers sometimes have limited matching and a harder time with take down pins lining up.

Mega is a good choice.

Name:  5S3A4571.jpg
Views: 1856
Size:  971.4 KB

Downloads
    Uploads

Starting a Pistol/SBR

The BAD lowers are on sale somewhere for 160 or so. I was just picky on mating up the right upper, but very nice finished product.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    The only one of my AR SBRs that has a beveled mag well is my Gen 3 Noveske. The rest are all basic forged, bevel-less lowers. I never even thought about it until seeing this thread,
    We'e mixing up flared, lIke a Noveske, and beveled, which a standard op in forged lowers.

Flare: external
    Bevel: internal

I've personally never seen a forged lower without at least some bevel to the inside of the magwell.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some lowers have a greater degree of interior bevel than others. The BAD-15 lower has a wire EDM cut magwell that's a bit more generous, and Precision Firearms also has a better bevel. Like tact said, DSG sent out an e-mail advertising the BAD lowers for $160 and I'd pick up another in a second if I could get another one that didn't have that damn rollmark. I miss BAD's old bomb logo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by din View Post
    Some lowers have a greater degree of interior bevel than others. The BAD-15 lower has a wire EDM cut magwell that's a bit more generous, and Precision Firearms also has a better bevel. Like tact said, DSG sent out an e-mail advertising the BAD lowers for $160 and I'd pick up another in a second if I could get another one that didn't have that damn rollmark. I miss BAD's old bomb logo.
    The wire EDM magwell and the bevel are very likely unrelated. Bevel still cut by machine like any other. The wire EDM is incapable of that operation without some serious setup engineering and it would not be advantageous in any way.

The wire edm creates a more uniform and precise magwell along the 2D surfaces than the typical broach cut method, which makes it nicer once the mag is passed the beveled area.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Axlnut View Post
    The wire EDM magwell and the bevel are very likely unrelated. Bevel still cut by machine like any other. The wire EDM is incapable of that operation without some serious setup engineering and it would not be advantageous in any way.

The wire edm creates a more uniform and precise magwell along the 2D surfaces than the typical broach cut method, which makes it nicer once the mag is passed the beveled area.
    The more you know...thanks!